Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 12:17 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,227,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
He's not highly skilled because he can only do a fraction of the job. If he could do the entire job he would be considered skilled, but not highly skilled. He really should only make $10 an hour given what he's capable of doing, but he's reliable and has been with us for seven years, so his pay rate has reflected that.
ROTFL. You just got finished describing in the earlier post how the job really does require a skilled person, and now you're complaining about having to pay skilled labor wages for the position.

Skilled labor doesn't mean being able to do math, or use computers, or anything like that. It just means you do something that requires skill. And obviously something that requires 5 years of experience to do well is a skill. This worker you have probably just isn't that bright on the general intelligence scale. You could send him to get his GED and he'd just flunk out. But he's still skilled labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 01:06 PM

750 posts, read 1,446,266 times
Publix has maybe one head meat cutter maybe 2 or 3 guys as helpers learning the trade. Working part time. Most likely it will take you 8 to 12 years to get into the meat department their is always a wait list. Your start in as a stock boy do 5 to 7 years there do 2 to 4 as a cashier you do not walk in and say I want to cut meat. Most people never get into the meat department no place for them. All these years you are working part time. Same goes with Whole Foods most kids understand their not getting into the meat department so they do something else. Florida is a right to work state wages are super low even by right to work standards. So maybe the elevator company wages s*ck or you have to have your own tools or the bosses fire left and right. The wind tech program in my area is capped at like 25 half of those seats go to the long term unemployed their is a wait list. I think it got the ax in the last budget cuts. Their are not enough seats for the guys who want to train as wind techs. Andy has made good posts on the trades. Read the one he posted on this page. These are reasons kids are not in the trades lazy is not one of them.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:42 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,736,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Anyway, it's funny how poor management from business owners is never discussed but everyone is quick to discuss the poor work ethics of employees.
Funny that you should say that. I would say that the instances of employers being trashed on this forum far outweigh those where the work ethic of employees is negatively addressed. I've been on both sides of the fence and almost quail putting on my "employer hat" to speak out here as it's pretty automatic that anything one says from that viewpoint is regarded with derisive sneers and outright rudeness.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:53 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,275,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
1. A 1099 tutor without stable work
2. "Competitive wage of $8.50 an hour"
3. Salesman, who no doubt is fired if not meeting quota
4. A company with 1.9 million in revenue, looking for "payroll help". Smells like an $8 an hour job to me, that needs government clearance to boot.
5. WOW 30k in New York City for BI?!?! Cant imagine why people arent lined up out the door

Wow, so, people cant find employees knocking down the door for their throw away jobs (2 of which cant even be considered jobs)

If Im going to make $8 an hour, Im working at Subway, not on a press in a factory. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
It's funny how those employers cry welfare and entitlement, yet they expect a fully functional human being for 8 bucks an hour.

No one owes your business a profit. If you are too stupid and sign contracts with razor-thin margins and can only pay workers low wages, you are the problem.

They pound their chest with platitudes about "responsibility" but when they can't find reliable help, blame everything and everyone but themselves. Hypocrites.

Sing it! I've said in many threads on this subforum that when the tables turn and the economy starts to improve, the exploiters will be whining and complaining about how good help is hard to find.

Sucks to be them, doesn't it?

Old 04-21-2012, 02:17 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,275,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Sure hope that company learned a lesson - talk about karma payback...lol. Not that I condone such a thing, just saying that people can and often do react in rather unpredictable (or should that be predictable?) ways...
That's what happens when labor has no power. My sister works as a dental assistant. Dentists are notorious for being cheap. They, like many physicians, often hire a whole gaggle of part-timers so they don't have to offer benefits. They'll also schedule their front office staff and assistants for as many hours as the law will allow without having to consider them full-time, usually 30 hours a week. As a result, morale is low and there is high turnover. Then when someone makes a simple administrative mistake, nothing that could harm a patient, they get disciplined or let go.

That's when the dentist or doctor comes out to the parking lot to find his or her tires slashed, tacks thrown all over ground, or a rock through a window.

It's criminal to do something like that, and it's not something I would encourage, but I can see why it happens.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:28 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,749,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Funny that you should say that. I would say that the instances of employers being trashed on this forum far outweigh those where the work ethic of employees is negatively addressed. I've been on both sides of the fence and almost quail putting on my "employer hat" to speak out here as it's pretty automatic that anything one says from that viewpoint is regarded with derisive sneers and outright rudeness.
The entitlement attitude from employers and employees now is toxic.

Employers think they're entitled to a perfect robot for peanuts.

Meanwhile, employees think they're entitled to have a living wage job handed to them without any effort on their part.

The whining on both sides has gotten out of hand, and it's turned into a downward spiral for all parties involved.

Not all employers and employees fit the above descriptions, but enough of them do. You're not entitled to the perfect robot in exchange for peanut just because you say you deserve to make a profit and you're also not entitled to a job with a living wage just because you say you deserve to earn money.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:28 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,160,794 times
Quote:
Poor management because a quickly handwritten list didn't mention the trash in the bathroom? The shop foreman didn't expect that the janitor would actually need a written list of what he was supposed to clean each day. Every other janitor we've had we've just given them a tour of the facility, told them what we expect, and they get it done and ask if they have any questions.
Well, you dismissed the other alternative I mentioned. The issue of not having a required task on the list is fairly minor. More concerning is that it appears that the list was written by a manager on the spot or some point earlier in the day and just handed to the employee. In six sigma methodology, this practice is prone to errors as the example shows. Other errors in management that could lead to this kind of situation could be the hiring of inadequate personnel or poor training. There's no reason why a flawed process should be a new hire's fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Why the silly nit picking? Surely it's not too much to expect an employee to have a modicum of basic common sense? If I write a "to do" list which includes something like, "wash the dishes" must I put together a multipage document explaining how much dishwashing liquid is to be used, where it's to be poured and how many swipes of the dish mop/sponge must pass over the item to be cleaned and how the rinsing is to be accomplished? That's as daft as your comment.
The scenario you mentioned is not the same as the original one because washing dishes implies using soap. Using soap is a subtask of washing dishes. Whereas empty bathroom trashcan is not a subtask of empty office trashcan. The scenario you mentioned is, indeed, daft... but nothing like the original example or my comment.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:32 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,078,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
Your right about the trades and your right about tool and die and I know about them sending tool and die to China using only a few repairmen. I just saw a thing in the paper and on tv as well about how the US needed tool and tie makers. It was nuts annek was posting how kids are lazy do not want to get their hands dirty. Kids know alot of the trades are dying their dads are telling not do not this. Buddy dad was a mill wight told him not to do it. If they need any tool and die makers it is not going to happen they sent the work China and their pipeline is gone. Heck alot of trades your work half the year. Their are reasons many kids do not want to go into the trades lazy is not one them.
There are trades that can not be shipped overseas and have more openings than labor pool. Those are the ones that the kids who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty should be looking into. Beats being an unemployed accountant with $60K in student loans.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:35 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,078,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
As long as you don't complain about HOW the dishes are washed, then nothing's wrong with that at all.

If you want the dishes done a certain way, you instruct the employee to do them a certain way. If you don't instruct them to wash the dishes a certain way, then they're going to assume they can wash the dishes their way (even if their way's not to your liking). After all, there's a difference between common sense and mind reading.

Anyway, it's funny how poor management from business owners is never discussed but everyone is quick to discuss the poor work ethics of employees.
The guy who didn't empty the trash did everything else great. But really? If part of the job is cleaning the bathrooms, it shouldn't have to be spelled out that emptying the trash is part of that process. That's not poor management, that's a lack of common sense.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:37 PM

878 posts, read 1,654,248 times
Quote:
There are trades that can not be shipped overseas and have more openings than labor pool. Those are the ones that the kids who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty should be looking into. Beats being an unemployed accountant with $60K in student loans.
Damn right...

If anyone out there has manufacturing/machine shop experience and lives or plans to move to the Seattle area... my employer is hiring.

The last 3 guys that have been hired in the last month all were let go within a week due to either failing the background check or coming in late for the 4am shift. If you are willing to work and can come in on time without a dozen felonies on your record you may be a good fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment