Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 11:56 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,203,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
And my guess is that most of them were forced to take these jobs when they were laid off from more skilled positions.
How they ended up in a minimum wage job is completely moot. The fact is that, they couldnt find a better job, and are now making minimum wage, dispite being high school grads and in at least 25% of the cases semi skilled or better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 11:57 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
Not true at all, at least at the entry level. I do interviews and we get 100 applications just for internships and 200 for entry level. We turn away so many great candidates. What Randomdude is trying to say and that people like you and NJBest don't understand is that it is much tougher than it used to be.

When I was just out of college and it was only a decade earlier, you could have one exam and get hired easily. Now, it's more like you better have two exams or you won't be considered. The bar keeps getting higher and it's not just in this field, it's like this everywhere. That's what happens when supply far exceeds demand. It's simple economics.

I'm grateful I was born in the late 70's vs the late 80's.
I don't know what it used to be like in the 70s and 80s because I wasn't in the workforce then. So I can't compare it to now.

What I am saying is that there are ways to prepare for the workforce that worked in the 70's and 80's that still work today. Yet folks don't focus on those methods.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
And my guess is that most of them were forced to take these jobs when they were laid off from more skilled positions.

Not if they choose the right profession. Once our apprentices graduate they are hired on at $15 an hour. Once they obtain their certifications, that number can as much as double.

I'd rather make $32K a year with a $3500 student loan and an in demand job than a starting wage of $45K (very few leave school into $100K jobs--even Ivy League schools) with $200K in debt and a no guarantee of getting a job.
The thing is, though, that IVY leaguers typically have minimal or no debt upon graduation. Those schools support their students financially. You're an outlier if you graduate a good school with $200k debt.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
That's just it - the American economy is broken.

Increasing education won't fix the fact that the economy is broken, in fact long term it will make it worse, as more folks have more debt, and the quality of jobs further degrades.

My industry is one of the last unionized industries around, and even though it only employs a FRACTION of the US population, it is the #3 contributor to US GDP. Pay and benefits are good, and most of the money stays here in the US.

We've gone from keeping the money circulating here in the US, helping everyone out, to outsourcing significant parts of our infrastructure taking not only those jobs but all the jobs they supported with them.

Look at the booming towns/cities now - they have seen investment in manufacturing from companies like Boeing and VW. No one needs a 4 year degree with 50k in debt to put parts together on an assembly line, and while those jobs aren't great, they are a lot better than making $7.25/hr at Wal-Mart.
You're right,but you're talking on a macro level. I was focusing on a micro level. What can individuals do to get jobs? Sadly, fixing the system isn't it.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:07 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You're right,but you're talking on a macro level. I was focusing on a micro level. What can individuals do to get jobs? Sadly, fixing the system isn't it.
Agreed, however the problem is our elected leaders are focusing on education as a way to boost jobs yet completely overlooking our $600 billion a year trade deficit.

And this is encouraging ever more people to go to college, take on debt, etc.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:09 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
Quote:
The thing is, though, that IVY leaguers typically have minimal or no debt upon graduation. Those schools support their students financially. You're an outlier if you graduate a good school with $200k debt.
Some do, some don't.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Getting a GED is a good start. Getting training of some sort--even if it means remedial computer training from the local unemployment office (free) for those who don't even know how to turn on the power is another. I have a guy in my shop, great guy, good at what he does (limited), but he's never going any further than the (barely) semi-skilled $13 an hour he makes because he has zero computer skills, reads and writes on maybe a 4th grade level, and has minimal math skills. We can't have him making cuts because he can't read a ruler, we can't have him mixing anything because he can't do the basic math to get the mixtures correct. If he would take free remedial adult-ed/GED prep classes at the local community college or vo-tech and get some actual skills, he'd be able to quickly grow into a $20/hour position.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:17 PM

977 posts, read 1,815,895 times
Quote:
I don't know what it used to be like in the 70s and 80s because I wasn't in the workforce then. So I can't compare it to now.

What I am saying is that there are ways to prepare for the workforce that worked in the 70's and 80's that still work today. Yet folks don't focus on those methods.
Did you even read my post? I said I was born in the late 70's, not "I was working in the late 70's". So my point is that even in the short time frame from when I was just of college around 2000 to now, standards for entry-level have gotten much higher and will likely continue to do so in the future.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:18 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,203,003 times
Quote:
Getting a GED is a good start. Getting training of some sort--even if it means remedial computer training from the local unemployment office (free) for those who don't even know how to turn on the power is another. I have a guy in my shop, great guy, good at what he does (limited), but he's never going any further than the (barely) semi-skilled $13 an hour he makes because he has zero computer skills, reads and writes on maybe a 4th grade level, and has minimal math skills. We can't have him making cuts because he can't read a ruler, we can't have him mixing anything because he can't do the basic math to get the mixtures correct. If he would take free remedial adult-ed/GED prep classes at the local community college or vo-tech and get some actual skills, he'd be able to quickly grow into a $20/hour position.

Wow, I wish I could find those jobs requiring a person to read, write and do math with basic computer skills that pays $20 an hour.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Wow, I wish I could find those jobs requiring a person to read, write and do math with basic computer skills that pays $20 an hour.
Those are required to be able to do the job, but obviously there are other requirements. This particular person would be able to do the other things he currently can't do which hold him back if he were more educated in the basics.

Right now he can't convert 87" to 7' 3".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment