Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 06:33 PM

878 posts, read 1,654,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I have a friend who does the hiring for a union shop. Union rules are that you come in at the bottom regardless of how much experience you have. So if the most experienced guy in the world applies, my friend still has to hire him as a $10/hour shop assistant and he can only move up as he gains seniority.

My friend currently has two $60K a year skilled labor positions open, he can't fill them because no one is willing to start at the bottom, and no one currently working there meets the criteria for those jobs.

Blame the union for keeping people out of work on that one.
... and I'm getting the same $60k working for a non-union Boeing supplier. Why does Boeing outsource? Probably because the union rate would be a ridiculous $60 an hr or something for what I do.

The union is why I have my job... which is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 07:22 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
Why would you even employ such a person? It sounds like a job for a computer. But if you do hire an actual person, you need to pay what they are willing to work for regardless of your subjective value judgement. And if the employer doesn't want to pay a retard $10 or $15 an hour, then GOD FORBID they will have to do the job themselves like the Pizza Hunt skank someone mentioned earlier.
Your use of the word "retard" is offensive. Are you 12yrs old?

Old 04-19-2012, 07:56 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,944,075 times
I have a different view. I see the cycle not as something that's been going on for years, but something that is a result of people living longer.

Take my grandmother for example. She makes more from her pension than my husband does working full time. She worked for AT&T for 30 years. She retired at 55, expecting to only live another 15 years or so (which was the formula most of those pensions were based on). BUT... it's been 35 years now. Her COLA is amazing. Her benefits rock. She takes home more than 4X her final salary while working. She's not the only one. She has DOZENS of friends from her working days... all retired 25+ years, all living off those pensions (and all receiving SS as well). Meanwhile, AT&T cannot afford to pay a decent wage to the people actually WORKING for them and certainly do not offer their employees the pension or anything close to the benefits my grandmother receives.

I'm not knocking Grandma or saying she shouldn't accept it. I'm saying that it wasn't planned for... and these "extra" years her and her friends have had are being paid for by their grandchildren... and some of their great grandchildren. She stopped saying she "earned" it years ago... she's not a fool, and she was pissing everyone off with that. My husband has been working for 24 years... close to the 30 she worked, and has no pension waiting for him. Neither does anyone I else I know from my generation or those with even 10 or 15 years more of 'working time'. Our retirement will be much more modest, SS won't be there for us, and we'll have to work 20 years past the point that Grandma was able to retire... and only retire then if our bodies give out on us.

And yes, btw... she DOES receive SS as well. It helps to support my dad and his sister and her husband, now that they're too old to work. God help us all when she does go...

of course, that won't actually help society... AT&T isn't going to suddenly raise their starting wages when the pensioners die off... THAT is the REAL cycle we're on... it's not the end folks, it's just the beginning.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:08 PM

392 posts, read 704,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Your use of the word "retard" is offensive. Are you 12yrs old?
Firstly, the world doesn't revolve around what offends you, and I don't care.

2nd, my use of the term was mocking how the person I was responding to views "unskilled" labor.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:34 PM

878 posts, read 1,654,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
Firstly, the world doesn't revolve around what offends you, and I don't care.

Every post you make is rude and childish in nature.

Your attitude sucks.

You may not be 12 but by your own admission you talk trash on internet forums.

Grats on being cool.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:44 PM

750 posts, read 1,446,165 times
Nctecchie Wal-Mart is profitable because they pass their cost off on the taxpayer. Most of their workers get government help medicaid food stamps ect. The towns give them tax breaks in the millions.But the states do as well. They also get breaks on water rates school taxes the list goes on. To top it all off they use slave labor from China. So I hope with all this taxpayer help and slave labor they can make money. Most people do not know this Congress passed a law some years back. The postal service must pay all their retiree health care and pension cost upfront every year. So they start the year billions in the hole no matter what. Every state city and 100's of major companies are underfunded for both pension and health care cost for retirees. We talking at least 500 billion mostly likely more at this point. If Congress put the same rule on everybody esle they would have to shut their doors.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:52 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,827,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
That is spot on! The competitive wage of $8.50 is laughable, maybe in Texas you can live on that but in Wisconsin I highly doubt that.
The lowest labor job in Toronto is $15 per hour..minimum wage is slightly less..It is astounding that some arrogant employer expects people to survive on 8 bucks an hour or even 15....A high school drop out can make 20 dollars per hour painting and doing repairs..so what do these so very kind and generous employers expect people to do?

They expect a person to work for next to nothing...Live in a little room with plastic curtains and slave away for a bit of food...while the employer takes a swim in his pool after breakfast and then complains that people are lazy?

Old 04-19-2012, 09:43 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,223,538 times
Everyone seems to be missing the best part about the $8.50 job.

"So we lock our doors to avoid them. We've resorted to only hiring people who have worked 90 days for a temporary staffing agency."

Yeah, he can't find employees at $8.50/hr when he's not willing to hire unemployed people. I can't imagine why not.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:07 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
That is spot on! The competitive wage of $8.50 is laughable, maybe in Texas you can live on that but in Wisconsin I highly doubt that.
You can't live on 8.50 an hour in Texas. Not without help.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:46 PM

750 posts, read 1,446,165 times
The employers want somebody else to pick up the cost of the worker. Growth of low wage jobs are an issue. When your making 8 to 10 bucks an hour it is not a living wage. Often the taxpayer is giving food stamps medicaid rent help the list goes on. Lots of jobs are not even full time part time and temp jobs make up the bulk of our job growth has been in these areas the last 3 years. Employers do expect subsidies from parents or others as well. They know no one can actually live on the menial wages they pay it is 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment