Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 03:28 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
Wrong on every level. It depends on how much someone is willing to work for, not any theoretical value of the work.

People don't want to work for peanuts, and employers are bitching because that doesn't fit their business model.

And yes, employees should share in the profits if employers expect any loyalty. Most professional jobs offer stock incentives, but the peons get nothing even though many times they are the face of the company (retail).

Why would a clerk at 7-11 give a crap whether a customer waits for five minutes at the counter while he's taking a crap? That sale means nothing to him. But if his pay was tied to performance of that store, things might be different.
Most better retail operations do offer bonus incentive plans which are based on profitability.

My company offers a bonus scheme that is tied to meeting labor hour goals on various projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 03:30 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,203,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Most better retail operations do offer bonus incentive plans which are based on profitability.

My company offers a bonus scheme that is tied to meeting labor hour goals on various projects.

So, the bonus is based on reducing labor hours......either thats counterproductive to the actual labor, or this is some bonus only directed towards management.

How exactly does this work?

Old 04-19-2012, 03:33 PM

750 posts, read 1,446,165 times
It is 2012 gas is 4 dollars a gallon rent food everything is higher. But wages are falling in most cases for most jobs. I made 10 bucks an hour as a temp in 2011. My grandpa's plant paid 11.50 an hour in 1986 full medical. This was just a starting out wage floor help trades guys made alot more. Andy posted how he made 14 bucks an hour in a machine shop entry level job 10 years later he said those jobs pay 12 bucks an hour. And I bet their are shops starting people at 10 bucks an hour because they can get away with it. Like my Mom says you get what you pay for they want tons of skills ten bucks an hour I see it all the time. If you want good workers you will have to pay for them. Everything is part time temp freelance 1099 anything to keep from paying a living wage. We are on a race to the bottom. So you have to be a rocket scientists or have niche IT skills to make a living wage? Business wants big profits but pay their workers nothing you can not have it both ways. Something has to give at some point.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:40 PM

392 posts, read 704,517 times
I had a friend who worked a temp job where there were incentives for productivity. The result was the job ended a week early due to the high productivity. In return at the end, the employee received a $20 gift card (the bonus) though she saved the company tens of thousands with her hard work.

In retaliation, she sabotaged everything on the last day of work and the company lost the contract for the next phase of the project.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:40 PM

241 posts, read 1,020,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
It is 2012 gas is 4 dollars a gallon rent food everything is higher. But wages are falling in most cases for most jobs. I made 10 bucks an hour as a temp in 2011. My grandpa's plant paid 11.50 an hour in 1986 full medical. This was just a starting out wage floor help trades guys made alot more. Andy posted how he made 14 bucks an hour in a machine shop entry level job 10 years later he said those jobs pay 12 bucks an hour. And I bet their are shops starting people at 10 bucks an hour because they can get away with it. Like my Mom says you get what you pay for they want tons of skills ten bucks an hour I see it all the time. If you want good workers you will have to pay for them. Everything is part time temp freelance 1099 anything to keep from paying a living wage. We are on a race to the bottom. So you have to be a rocket scientists or have niche IT skills to make a living wage? Business wants big profits but pay their workers nothing you can not have it both ways. Something has to give at some point.
Yes, employers want to pay peanuts these days. They are taking advantage of the fact that there's millions out there seeking for work.

Quote:

In retaliation, she sabotaged everything on the last day of work and the company lost the contract for the next phase of the project.
Good for her.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:42 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,364,403 times
Quote:
I had a friend who worked a temp job where there were incentives for productivity. The result was the job ended a week early due to the high productivity. In return at the end, the employee received a $20 gift card (the bonus) though she saved the company tens of thousands with her hard work.

Your friend sounds like a total *****.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:57 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,522,769 times
Quote:

Sure hope that company learned a lesson - talk about karma payback...lol. Not that I condone such a thing, just saying that people can and often do react in rather unpredictable (or should that be predictable?) ways...

Old 04-19-2012, 04:04 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I dont consider employment that doesnt pay a living wage a job at all.
So what do you suggest an employer should pay someone who has no marketable skills and doesn't even have a GED? A person who has poor math skills and no computer skills? What is this person worth and why?

Old 04-19-2012, 04:06 PM

154 posts, read 524,777 times
The world has changed not just for American workers but for American companies and it may never go back to the way it once was. Economists call it the rise of the lonely and lovely or the polarization of the job market.

This article sums it up:

http://blogs.reuters.com/chrystia-fr...d-lovely-jobs/

American companies now need to compete in a global marketplace and the ones that are doing things to make themselves competitive will be around in 5 years. The US Postal Service is the largest employer besides Wal-Mart. Remember when Wal-Mart only sold American? They course corrected (180 degrees) because of the global marketplace and are profitable and despite many people's negative feelings, are a macro economic force in the US that employs many people. The US Postal Service didn't really change their ways and they are insolvent now.

Don't blame the employers - they have to change if they want to survive.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:08 PM

392 posts, read 704,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Sure hope that company learned a lesson - talk about karma payback...lol. Not that I condone such a thing, just saying that people can and often do react in rather unpredictable (or should that be predictable?) ways...
She went way overboard. But to spit on someone and not expect to be socked in the kisser is a bit naive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment