Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 05:07 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,386,715 times

Advertisements

Let's see...8.50 an hour is just enough for me to buy some liquor and pass out in an alley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
I laughed at the "competitive wage of $8.50 an hour" and just skimmed through the rest...

The company paying $8.50 listed annual revenues of $7 million... well, I was working at a mom and pop shop in Georgia prior to being laid off that had revenues of $5 million a year and I was making $17 an hour.

So what's wrong with this picture?

P.S. I moved to Seattle for a job and and got a raise to boot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 05:17 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,793,878 times
Complaining about not being able to attract workers during a time of high unemployment indicates to me that maybe the job or compensation is not attractive.

Very few people can afford to pass up work and sit on unemployment. In my state (Tennessee) the maximum weekly check is 275 dollars a week. If you were making 10 bucks an hour in your previous job I suspect the weekly check is quite a bit lower.

It's hard to believe someone would be happy with 200 bucks a week coming in when they could be making 3 or 400 bucks a week in a low wage job. There has to be a reason nobody is biting on those jobs other than "people don't want to work".

Old 04-19-2012, 05:32 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
I have a friend who does the hiring for a union shop. Union rules are that you come in at the bottom regardless of how much experience you have. So if the most experienced guy in the world applies, my friend still has to hire him as a $10/hour shop assistant and he can only move up as he gains seniority.

My friend currently has two $60K a year skilled labor positions open, he can't fill them because no one is willing to start at the bottom, and no one currently working there meets the criteria for those jobs.

Blame the union for keeping people out of work on that one.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:36 PM

392 posts, read 704,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
What are you talking about? We just promoted our last "janitor" which is why we are hiring a new one now. Where do you get that they don't show me respect? You think you know so much, but in reality you know nothing about my business. Bottom line, I own a business that is growing and has survived this horrible economy, and you are well, obviously bitter about your life.

And I don't know of any light janitorial job where you run the risk of death or dismemberment.
I, and some others, enjoy shredding the arguments of hypocrites, and you are well on your way to becoming a pulled pork sandwich.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
I, and some others, enjoy shredding the arguments of hypocrites, and you are well on your way to becoming a pulled pork sandwich.
If you put half the time into finding a job that you do trying to trash people who actually offer constructive advice, you might actually find something productive to do with your life.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:48 PM

392 posts, read 704,517 times
I don't trash people. I trash trash.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
I don't trash people. I trash trash.
So you're looking for a job as a garbage collector? I'll let you know if I hear of anything.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:07 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Complaining about not being able to attract workers during a time of high unemployment indicates to me that maybe the job or compensation is not attractive.

Very few people can afford to pass up work and sit on unemployment. In my state (Tennessee) the maximum weekly check is 275 dollars a week. If you were making 10 bucks an hour in your previous job I suspect the weekly check is quite a bit lower.

It's hard to believe someone would be happy with 200 bucks a week coming in when they could be making 3 or 400 bucks a week in a low wage job. There has to be a reason nobody is biting on those jobs other than "people don't want to work".
You would think that's the only case... but there's actually a lot of people who are just picky. They would rather work at a grocery store where there are minimal jobs than be an actuary where the pay is high and the jobs are plenty.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:07 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,173,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
I Have Jobs, but No One Wants Them - Yahoo! Finance

Thoughts? I am strapped for time so can't give you my detailed opinion, but in short I think it's total absurdity.
#1 Tutoring job paying $25-50 an hour. Looks good, until you realize you're looking at realistically only getting 5-10 hours a week and where these jobs are located, which is usually affluent suburbs. So you drive an hour each way, likely more, to make $25-100. Hell, driving 100 miles round-trip (probably not uncommon) is $50 right there. New and exciting job offer paying nothing (but will compensate for travel).

#2 $10 hour. If you were offering a competitive wage, you wouldn't be having trouble filling the position. The fact is, you aren't. I'm self-employed so not eligible for UI (even though my taxes pay for it), but I'd make more than $10/hour on UI as well if I were.

#3 Sales is all about the money, and an $80,000 cap that no one will really make ($30-50k is probably what most of their hard workers make) probably isn't going to cut it in Chicago, not for experienced salesmen anyway. For an entry-level job, yes, sounds good... but entry-level without any growth opportunities means turnover.

#4 Government red tape sucks.

#5 Again, sales at $30-40k, probably looking at new graduates. You're looking for the best of the brightest new graduates at $30k a year and trying to hook them on "in a year you can write your own ticket?" I'd have run from that job too. I made about that (35K base plus comissions) but then I wasn't in NYC and there was an actual advancement path, bonuses for CPA, paid MBA @2 years, which made up for the low pay. And did I mention it wasn't in NYC?

Old 04-19-2012, 06:09 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
So you're looking for a job as a garbage collector? I'll let you know if I hear of anything.
In NJ, a garbage collector is a hard job to get... everyone wants it. Once you're in, you're taken care of for life... as long as you don't squeal.... in which case your life is taken care of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment