Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 11:26 PM

392 posts, read 704,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
Every post you make is rude and childish in nature.

Your attitude sucks.

You may not be 12 but by your own admission you talk trash on internet forums.

Grats on being cool.
Thank you, Dr. Phil. I would consider hiring you as a life coach, but with you banking a whopping 60k a year I bet you don't need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 12:28 AM

878 posts, read 1,653,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
Thank you, Dr. Phil. I would consider hiring you as a life coach, but with you banking a whopping 60k a year I bet you don't need it.
I'm not Dr. Phil nor am i interested in being a life coach for a trash talking internet douche bag...

As far as my whooping $60k... I live very comfortably taking home $4000 a month when my expenditures total $1350...

How much is your unemployment check? Or was it disability you were crying about in your thread the other day? I'll have to look up the thread when I get home. I remember telling you that nobody owes you a living right before the thread was locked... hmmmmmmmm....

Old 04-20-2012, 12:29 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
saying i have jobs but nobody wants them is like saying cash for your house in the ad.
of course he does not say how much just he will pay u.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:13 AM

878 posts, read 1,653,189 times
Here it is... let's see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
I had a recruiter asking me today for references up front after he "passed my resume on".

Sorry dude, I am not giving you free leads. I politely told him "if after an interview there is mutual interest, I will be happy to provide them."

I've never heard of someone wanting up front reference checks for an engineering position, and my professional contacts are too important to be potentially spammed.

What's next, drug tests up front? Application fees?
And this...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...titlement.html

So which is it? Unemployed? Disabled? Are you a freeloader? Does the government owe you a living? To answer your question from the thread "So all the taxes these people have paid throughout their lives goes towards everything but the most important needs?"

The government doesn't owe you a damn thing. Get a job.

Good day.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:36 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
The employers want somebody else to pick up the cost of the worker. Growth of low wage jobs are an issue. When your making 8 to 10 bucks an hour it is not a living wage. Often the taxpayer is giving food stamps medicaid rent help the list goes on. Lots of jobs are not even full time part time and temp jobs make up the bulk of our job growth has been in these areas the last 3 years. Employers do expect subsidies from parents or others as well. They know no one can actually live on the menial wages they pay it is 2012.
You can live on $10 an hour around here. You can share a 3/2 house with a pool (cable, trash, lawn service included) with two other people for $300 a month, your share of the utilities would be $150 a month. Car insurance $75 a month, $300 a month to feed yourself, $150 a month for gas, leaves around $300 for medical co-pays, clothing, beer money, some savings, etc.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:19 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You can live on $10 an hour around here. You can share a 3/2 house with a pool (cable, trash, lawn service included) with two other people for $300 a month, your share of the utilities would be $150 a month. Car insurance $75 a month, $300 a month to feed yourself, $150 a month for gas, leaves around $300 for medical co-pays, clothing, beer money, some savings, etc.

Wow, an adult person living with 2 roommates and dont even have their own bathroom. Thats a quality of life everyone should aspire to have.

While we are at it, you technically could live on $200 a month, because, all you need to do is live with 10 roommates, and eat Ramen Noodles one meal a day.......

Old 04-20-2012, 07:28 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
So what do you suggest an employer should pay someone who has no marketable skills and doesn't even have a GED? A person who has poor math skills and no computer skills? What is this person worth and why?
They are worth their labor value at minimum.

By the way, the majority of low wage workers have high school diplomas and are at least semi skilled.

The half illiterate person who cant do anything at all would probably be chronically unemployed, and as a society, we need to either develop their skills (not at their expense), or deem them handicapped.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:39 AM

134 posts, read 367,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Wow, an adult person living with 2 roommates and dont even have their own bathroom. Thats a quality of life everyone should aspire to have.

While we are at it, you technically could live on $200 a month, because, all you need to do is live with 10 roommates, and eat Ramen Noodles one meal a day.......
Oh dear, not....roommates, I gotta have my own house!

It's really not bad, for some reason Americans have a huge aversion to living with other people. I live with someone else because it costs less than half of what available apartments cost here. I could afford to live somewhere else, but I just don't need to, and don't really care to right now.

Upwards of 10% of people who graduate high school now can't even read. That's not semi-skilled, HS has become an absolute joke.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:01 AM

29,818 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
It is 2012 gas is 4 dollars a gallon rent food everything is higher. But wages are falling in most cases for most jobs. I made 10 bucks an hour as a temp in 2011. My grandpa's plant paid 11.50 an hour in 1986 full medical. This was just a starting out wage floor help trades guys made alot more. Andy posted how he made 14 bucks an hour in a machine shop entry level job 10 years later he said those jobs pay 12 bucks an hour. And I bet their are shops starting people at 10 bucks an hour because they can get away with it. Like my Mom says you get what you pay for they want tons of skills ten bucks an hour I see it all the time. If you want good workers you will have to pay for them. Everything is part time temp freelance 1099 anything to keep from paying a living wage. We are on a race to the bottom. So you have to be a rocket scientists or have niche IT skills to make a living wage? Business wants big profits but pay their workers nothing you can not have it both ways. Something has to give at some point.
There is a trend that you are missing though. When those shops offer basement payrates, they are not always doing it "because they can". They are often times doing it because it's all they can afford. How do I know this? Because their assets are often on the auction block within the year. And there is nothing wrong with $11 or $12 for an entry level job. I don't expect any skilled tradesman worth his salt to accept that kind of a wage, but for someone starting out, living at home with the parents, that really isn't that bad at 17 or 18. Within 4 years, if they apply themselves, they can easily have a good job that pays a comfortable income. They might have to change jobs a time or two, but that's typical.

And what you are noticing is stagnating wages. This has effected many industries and professions. People were not complaining, or even noticing it when the loose ends could be shored up with the credit card. When everyone complains about union pay rates, they just are envious of a wage that actually rose on par with inflation. Nobody seems to mind the salaries of CEOs that outpaced inflation by leaps and bounds. We are a hop skip and a jump away from crossing the finish line on this race to the bottom, but have no fear, those on the very tippy top will do just fine... And since NASA has been closed down, that might put downward pressure on the wages for rocket scientists. We'll see.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:02 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post

If you want to make more, get some skills that make you marketable. If all you can do is push a broom or punch a button to made a ride start at a theme park, why should you be paid more? I'd rather pay unskilled labor that's a dime a dozen $10 so I can pay skilled labor that I want to retain top tier wages. There's just so much money in the kitty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment