Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 01:20 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,201,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You obviously don't shop there or know much about their business model or yu would know that there is no pressure. And I've found quite a bit of clothing with a "Proudly made In the USA" label in it in Nordstroms. Try doing that at Walmart.

I dont shop at Nordstroms, Im not in that target economic demographic. But I do know that commissioned salesmen are paid to pressure, their livelihood depends on you buying more crap.

As for finding US stuff at Walmart, I did find a motorized fan once, I did get it, and it was just as low quality as Chinese garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 01:21 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
The job I have is light cleaning--sweeping, mopping, wiping down surfaces, about 15 hours a week. We advertised it as a good job for a retiree or someone who only wanted p/t work like a homemaker with kids in school. The hours were flexible but once they agreed to specific hours, we needed them there during those times or it screws up our production schedule. Around here jobs like that pay minimum wage, maybe $8/hour. We were looking to pay $10 because we figured we'd get a higher caliber of applicant.
Well Annerk that's a FL thang...LOL.

Having lived now in 5 states I can say hands down there isn't much of work ethic in the sunshine state.

On fact there is even on a thread on CD about the poor FL work ethic.

Have seen it over and over again. From doctors offices to just basic customer service, they do as little as possible...whenever possible.

Maybe the lower wages that FL is known for has something to do with it, but slacking off is a problem.

Have friends who have a printing business and they are hard pressed to find decent people in an area that has 15% unemployment, the highest in the state of FL.

They pay around $9 an hour to start and buy the employees lunch, still can't get reliable people other than one who has been with them for 2yrs.

They hired one guy who was told they would need him to come in on Saturday(and he would get overtime) for a printing job that needed to shipped out that day...he never showed.

He came in on Monday and said he goes out drinking on Friday nights.

Of course he was let go, and didn't seem to understand why.

So your story doesn't surprise me at all.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:23 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,421,066 times
I dont know about that. Most decent appliances can still last 5-10 years.
We have no problem shopping at Target or Walmart if it mean saving money. Also we dont pull up in a new Mercedes either.!

Old 04-19-2012, 01:24 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I had an internet buddy a few yrs ago. She was District Mgr for a chin of Pizza Huts in another state. She was always complaining about not being able to get help. She offered to hire my son who was experenced in FF & pizza places. I said cool...he said How much pay? Her answer was $5.15 hr. I SAID You Crazy! She said Min Wage $5.15 I said Not here State of WV Min Wage $7.50 hour!! Thats what FF & Retail Pays here! I said Give your workers a decent wage & they will stay. She said No Way! That will come out of my pocket! She went on to tell me how it works is She pays only whats required by law & her pay is the balance of what PH allows for saleries! I told her then keep b*tching cause your always working & cant enjoy your SO & Kids & NEW Home. BUT Quit complaining to me! Needless to say we are no longer friends!
Beautiful!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!

And I bet she does not make a ton. Does she make a lot? I bet not.

The more I learn about how these huge chain corporations and banks work the more I have to laugh. Out of sadness not enjoyment.

How they pit people against eachother to fight after the scraps errrr "trickle down". Greed and corruption are sad things and they ruin untold millions of lives.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:27 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
Employers should change the way they look for employees if they're having trouble finding workers.

15 million people are officially unemployed (25 million are unofficially un/underemployed). If you can't find a competent (competent as in simply breathing and legally able to work) person to sweep and mop a floor or print paper then you need to re-evaluate your hiring standards and practices.

I'm not excusing poor work ethics, but for every bad worker (and the free market eventually weeds bad workers out), there are hundreds of good, hard working people. It's not their fault that you can't seem to find them.

For every thread I see about employers complaining about crappy employees, I see just as many threads about employees, who are highly experienced and educated, complaining about no employer wanting to hire them.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:27 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
On the other hand, consider that consumer taste has changed too.

Gone are the days where someone would purchase an appliance or electronic good and use to for 5-10+ years. Consumers now must replace it every 1-3 years. This is due to the decline in quality courtesy of the outsourcing that's taking place.

The question too is will the American consumer be willing to go back to the days where, while one person in the household earned enough to support the entire family, they had to use their goods for years if not decades at a time?
Who replaces stuff every 1-3 years?

The youngest TV in my house is six years old, the oldest was bought in 1996.

I bought the laptop I'm on right now in 2004, the youngest computer in the house was purchased in 2006.

The dishwasher died back around Christmas, it was well into it's seventh year at that point. I expect to keep my other appliances until they are 15+ years old. One of my appliances was a hand-me-down from a friend and is 15 years old and still going strong.

We don't believe in throwing things away until they are beyond repair, and with proper care, most things will last quite a bit longer than most people give them credit for.

And I don't believe that a one worker household and keeping appliances and electronics on an annual basis are co-dependent.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I dont shop at Nordstroms, Im not in that target economic demographic. But I do know that commissioned salesmen are paid to pressure, their livelihood depends on you buying more crap.
Again you are wrong. There are two types of sales people--those who build relationships and those who can't see past the end of their nose. Nordstrom's hires the former. They want sales people who will build a clientele who keep coming back as opposed to someone who feels pressured to buy something, gets home, hates it, and swears to never shop there again.

You admit you don't shop there yet insist you know their business model.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:33 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
I know a ton of people who shop there but could easily afford Whole Foods and Nordstrom's. As I drive by the Wal-Mart near me I see the stream of expensive cars going in and out of the parking lot and shake my head in disgust.

I haven't stepped foot in a Walmart in over a decade, I refuse to support a company like that.
I agree with you, I have only been to Walmart 3 times and that was enough.

The last time was because they were the only thing open and it was around 11pm, their parking lot was very dark, I even commented to the cashier as I was paying at how that was not safe.

Shortly after that I watched the documentary "The High Cost of Low Prices" about Walmart and how they treated their employees, how they came into small towns and put the independents out of business, and how they didn't care about customer safety once a customer left the store.

There have been robberies, rapes, and even murders in Walmart parking lots due to them being poorly lit.

They also got in trouble for taking out life insurance policies on employees(not for the benefit of the family) and Walmart got the money if the employee died.

Won't step foot in there.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Employers should change the way they look for employees if they're having trouble finding workers.

15 million people are officially unemployed (25 million are unofficially un/underemployed). If you can't find a competent (competent as in simply breathing and legally able to work) person to sweep and mop a floor or print paper then you need to re-evaluate your hiring standards and practices.

I'm not excusing poor work ethics, but for every bad worker (and the free market eventually weeds bad workers out), there are hundreds of good, hard working people. It's not their fault that you can't seem to find them.

For every thread I see about employers complaining about crappy employees, I see just as many threads about employees, who are highly experienced and educated, complaining about no employer wanting to hire them.
If it had been f/t we would have had 200 applications. But it's not, and no, we're not paying someone f/t for a p/t job.

We've already hired a new person who will start tomorrow.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:36 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
Quote:
Who replaces stuff every 1-3 years?

The youngest TV in my house is six years old, the oldest was bought in 1996.

I bought the laptop I'm on right now in 2004, the youngest computer in the house was purchased in 2006.

The dishwasher died back around Christmas, it was well into it's seventh year at that point. I expect to keep my other appliances until they are 15+ years old. One of my appliances was a hand-me-down from a friend and is 15 years old and still going strong.

We don't believe in throwing things away until they are beyond repair, and with proper care, most things will last quite a bit longer than most people give them credit for.

And I don't believe that a one worker household and keeping appliances and electronics on an annual basis are co-dependent.
The point was people didn't require new stuff or replacements for household items as often 50 years ago as they do now. Thus, the higher markups on the products offered in stores, due to the stores paying higher wages to the employees who sold and manufactured them, didn't have as much as an impact on a person's income as it does now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment