Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 06:38 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,650 times

Advertisements

Anyone experienced co-workers in a new job, in the same job position as you, you have perhaps casually spoke to a few times, you don't really dislike or like them - your just ok with and want to get on with your job, and perhaps even work together by sharing knowledge so both of you can improve yourselves . No agenda, not trying to get one over them, not trying to take over the company, not trying to take their job.

You don't even work directly with, your not getting in their way - and for some unknown reason they take an extreme dislike to you, a pathological all consuming hatred - which comes in dirty looks, withholding information, backstabbing, backbiting, subtle digs, not speaking to you, they are very uncomfortable being around you. They will go to extreme lengths to annoy you. They must spend hours of their lives just hating you.

Your not any better off financially than them, so its not jealousy in a financial way - could it be your not performing your job as they expect - but then its not their business, that is your bosses business.

But when questioned, or confronted they claim there fine with you - everything is OK, and back down for a while.

In my opinion its someone who wants to come in and work harder than them, and do a better job - they have been sitting their ass for years and not doing their jobs well enough- and they just don't like being shown up for the crap job their doing.

Often the goal of people like this is stop anyone they consider as "competition" from doing their job well and they spread misinformation, lies, withhold knowledge and generally hold back others while advancing themselves - all the while maintaining a pleasant front to others.

They hate you because you can see right through their little game and agenda - while other colleagues who think that their "friends" with these type of people just can't see there being played.

They will do everything in there power to trip others up and stop them from performing their jobs well.

Therefore don't slack off at work, work hard everyday, thats what these type people want to happen, they want you become disillusioned and leave in order to keep themselves in a job for a bit longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 07:15 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
The only times I really took a dislike to a coworker was when they came in acting like they knew it all and tried treating other people that worked there like dirt Sometimes there were good reasons that things were done the way they were, but the FNG didn't understand the corporate culture and didn't take the time to learn about it before implying that everyone who worked there was a slacker.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:30 AM

313 posts, read 728,055 times
The first team they put me with on my current temp job was a nightmare. They were insufferably rude, do as little as they can get away with on the job, mouthy, reeked of smoke, every other word was the "F" word even on the job, serial babies produced with random men, wanted to argue about everything with me and with each other, and went on all day about where to score the best pot as soon as they got off work every night. Once they realized I was not "one of them", they treated me like crap every minute of every day. So yes, I know how you feel! It really makes it hard to want to go to work every day and face that hostility.

Do you have any options at all within the company? I asked to be moved to a different place/assignment. MUCH better. Now I work with 2 really nice guys, one of whom got laid off of a 15 year career. :-(

Old 04-22-2012, 09:39 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The only times I really took a dislike to a coworker was when they came in acting like they knew it all and tried treating other people that worked there like dirt Sometimes there were good reasons that things were done the way they were, but the FNG didn't understand the corporate culture and didn't take the time to learn about it before implying that everyone who worked there was a slacker.

You are describing a former co-worker of mine to a T at the law firm where I'd worked. A large woman, and an overbearing bully, she just came in and took things over, like a buffalo in a china shop. The bosses seemed afraid of her. She used to brag that, at other firms where she'd worked, she'd threatened to "snap in half" the women attorneys who crossed her. The senior partner said she was so nasty because of her "health problems". He knew her family, of course - he'd worked for her grandfather when he was in college. She used every opportunity she could to make me look incompetent and to demean me. They eventually terminated me.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:41 AM

841 posts, read 1,917,216 times
I think no matter where you work, someone will find a reason not to like you.

I would describe myself and helpful and friendly and at work I would be glad to assist my coworkers, do extra, and help out.

At one job a guy who was just a crank anyhow and eventually had to be sent to management training classes just took a dislike to me. I finally stood up to him and made him look stupid. I also proved myself to be a good worker and when the bosses began to notice me he backed off and became sort of friendly.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:10 AM

428 posts, read 900,454 times
I worked with a couple woman who just seemed to be in general not happy people because of there past, genetic make up, or current situation. They just were unhappy, not very friendly inviduals and you just had to suck it up and not take it personal. It wasnt about you just them and how they reacted to the world. Sometimes there would be a glimpse of who they truly were but it wouldnt last long. Some people are like that and you cant change it you just got to accept it and move on.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:15 AM

878 posts, read 1,653,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The only times I really took a dislike to a coworker was when they came in acting like they knew it all and tried treating other people that worked there like dirt.
Same here... and those people that acted like that usually didn't last long.

I'm sure there are people at work that don't like me for whatever reason, and I don't care. I'm there to make $$$ not to make friends and have after work group hugs.

If you want to work together and have a nice business relationship, that's all good... if you don't like me, that's fine... just don't F*#& with me.

Deal?

Old 04-22-2012, 10:16 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
You are describing a former co-worker of mine to a T at the law firm where I'd worked. A large woman, and an overbearing bully, she just came in and took things over, like a buffalo in a china shop. The bosses seemed afraid of her. She used to brag that, at other firms where she'd worked, she'd threatened to "snap in half" the women attorneys who crossed her. The senior partner said she was so nasty because of her "health problems". He knew her family, of course - he'd worked for her grandfather when he was in college. She used every opportunity she could to make me look incompetent and to demean me. They eventually terminated me.
Unfortunately the target of the office bully is usually the one who is driven out of his job. I've seen that happen before.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:37 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
I had a major culture clash wiith a woman. She was East Coast NYC, I am Western small town, we were opposite on everything. She was always in a major crises or drama. I am laid back. The minute I met her..."uh oh"....she hated me. I could care less...I was there to work. She created a hostile work environment.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:28 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,611,475 times
As opposed to co-workers who hate you for a good reason? What's the difference if they have a reason or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment