Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:17 PM

29,824 posts, read 24,913,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Gimme a break, has ANYONE in this thread suggested that there is anything about the workers at a typical retail establishment like JCP that would warrant giving them higher wage or carrying a high number of employees?

Can anyone in honesty say that they'd be more likely to spend more money at a JCP that had more employees? Would it even make sense to have "better trained" employes when the sales people are forced to basically just look up sizes and restock what get shipped in? I mean it ain't like anyone goes to JCP expecting a "fashion makeover experience".

If the stores had higher overall wage costs (either because of higher pay or more hours or more staff) they would flat out be LESS profitable than the competitive stores and the reduced profitability would slowly bleed the company out of existence...
Correct. Yet, what happens when there are less consumers capable of acting as consumers for the goods and services provided? Money changing hands is the stuff a nations GDP is built on, as well as any solid economy. And when a corporation feels the bottom line is threatened, they will seek to reduce their workforce, further perpetuating this trend. Am I blaming JCP? No, they are one corporation trying to survive. When this becomes the default strategy to remain competitive, we have problems... And I mentioned nothing about wages. Just about anyone can do the job, so the market wouldn't bare much of a livable wage unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 09:32 PM

994 posts, read 1,592,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickytoffee View Post
I got a sewing machine for X-mas.
I have to get one myself but I've been putting it off for quite a bit. I did have a handheld unit but that was a piece of crap (I scrapped it).

Old 05-04-2012, 09:48 PM

994 posts, read 1,592,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
Agreed. I currently work at Target and there is huge turnover at our store and the two neighboring Targets. I am one of only three employees left from the huge seasonal hire we had. The turnover is completely understandable since they pay us near minimum wage. Because of the low pay, people simply don't care. It's not a big deal to call in from work or quit for a better opportunity, or even no opportunity because the pay is so grossly low. Target is a huge corporation. They can afford to pay their employees more and higher wages would solve many of their problems. They wouldn't have to bother finding new people every three months. But, greed is prevalent so they instead choose the high turnover rate over any viable solution.
And the funny thing is that Target tries to make itself look more hip and open minded but in some cases they can be worse than even Wally World. I worked for Target myself in their credit card printing site years ago and my coworkers were some of the most bigoted people I ever dealt with. I was insulted for my religious beliefs and harassed for not being some macho male like 99% of the locals out here. (South Dakota is like anime where you can't tell the difference between the males and the females, except anime looks better hahahaha) About a year and a half later my sister worked for Target at the retail level and after maybe a year of working there she was run out of the store on trumped up charges of shoplifting. Basically, they accused her of slipping gift cards to some crazy ass coworker that I think management knew was a bit shaky. I'm thinking that the Store Team Lead and someone in Loss Prevention tried to **** her over and get her blamed for gift cards someone else stole judging by what she told me.

Kind of off-topic but the recent news of how Target was giving money to anti-gay groups doesn't surprise me at all. Target has had somewhat of an antigay attitude in the last few years. They'll hire the token gay people to work there, granted, but most of those gay people either are brainwashed by Spot and the Dot or are management's flunkies.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:34 AM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
Kind of off-topic but the recent news of how Target was giving money to anti-gay groups doesn't surprise me at all. Target has had somewhat of an antigay attitude in the last few years. They'll hire the token gay people to work there, granted, but most of those gay people either are brainwashed by Spot and the Dot or are management's flunkies.
That news is actually over a year old and I've never really heard anyone talk about it. At my store we actually have as many gay employees as straight so I'd say a lot of people don't care that Target chose to give campaign money to a political party that isn't in favor of homosexuality. I'm personally not offended because where politics are concerned, it's pretty hard to find candidates in favor of gay rights.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:47 AM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,746 times
Quote:
Gimme a break, has ANYONE in this thread suggested that there is anything about the workers at a typical retail establishment like JCP that would warrant giving them higher wage or carrying a high number of employees?
A higher wage can equate to a higher quality of employee.

Quote:
If the stores had higher overall wage costs (either because of higher pay or more hours or more staff) they would flat out be LESS profitable than the competitive stores and the reduced profitability would slowly bleed the company out of existence...
Why do people act as if huge corporations are operating with all available monetary assets and anything extra is a loss? Target is a billion dollar enterprise. They could afford to pay each employee one dollar more per hour and actually get more out of it than what they lost by the pay increase.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:57 AM

8,047 posts, read 10,638,176 times
I almost took a management job with them a couple of years ago. Glad I dodged that bullet.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:41 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I'm sorry to hear all this. I have to shop at JC Penney (through the online catalog) because they are the only place that sells clothing at reasonable prices for tall women. There are NO brick-and-mortar stores--anywhere--not even in Manhattan--that sell tall women's clothing.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:52 AM

445 posts, read 864,874 times
I think Ron Johnson is under orders by the main stockholders to cut 900 million by 2013:something like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Hmm, seems like the typical American style corporate tactic. When all else fails, start dumping your labor.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:07 AM

445 posts, read 864,874 times
We'll see. Maybe this Apple guy will turn JCP into "America's favorite store"and plenty of work will be available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I almost took a management job with them a couple of years ago. Glad I dodged that bullet.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:09 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,940,698 times
I haven't been a regular JCP shopper since the 90's, early 2000's. I don't believe it will ever be America's favorite store. It's a dying company and it's suffering a slow, painful death. Out of curiousity, I took a stroll into our local JCP, and I was *not* impressed. Sad to say, but stores like Koh's and Target have moved into the slots that Sears and JCP occupied back then. As a shopper, I'm noticing the efforts that are being made to change things up but it's not working for me. Not sure what I would do if I were an employee, though. I'd probably just stay around until the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment