Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 05:18 PM

877 posts, read 2,013,563 times

Advertisements

I just finished my sophomore year of college and "the norm" is that interning starts after junior year. Maybe I am just too concerned and too anxious about building up my resume so I can beat the odds when I graduate, but I've sent out over 50 applications and changing so many cover letters for these companies, 75% of them are small, start-up, lesser-known companies. I'm a journalism major, trying to break into fashion communications (difficult field, I know) so when I couldn't apply to top-notch fashion magazines, i had to resort to PR and other editorial listings.

I went to two job interviews last week, one for a well-known investment firm in need of an editor and a entertainment PR company that works closely with magazines. The entertainment PR was in need of someone to begin last week and I have not heard from them. I have sent resumes over on LinkedIn..they've been looked at but no reply. It frustrates me because most of these companies know I'm not a fit, yet they don't have the courtesy to just concisely say "no", even after going all the way to an interview. I find myself appreciating rejections than being ignored. Some of these small companies are more picky and demanding than the well-known companies with their "must show college transcript and have at least a 3.0 GPA". I think this is much worse than applying for a real job, since most interns don't even get paid and they're being so picky.

Does it frustrate anyone else who has sent dozens of applications and get no replies? I think a lot of people who do the hiring these days lack a lot of courtesy. I apologize that I am ranting, but I'm kind of smittened that I won't be able to have higher chances of being considered for future jobs because of little-to-no experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 05:57 PM

723 posts, read 2,194,160 times
D) Need more info.

What is your major, skill set, previous work experience?

Certain folks aren't having problems finding internships.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:12 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,931 times
internships are the new entry level job, expect to fight tooth and nail for them, expect lots of competition for one/few open spots. Don't be fooled just because it is an internship or it because it is unpaid that it will magically become easier to get a internship.

Also get use to never hearing back a reply aside from the standard "thank you for applying email". I recomend checking bookjobs.com it is editorial/publishing type work though not really of the fashion type magazine. At this point I would settle for any type of publishing, editing job... sales department, layout whatever.

Yes it is frustrating but that is life, just keep going.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:10 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,482,260 times
Check this site out: Internships | Ed2010

They have many fashion-related job and internship postings, mostly in New York, which is understandable.

There could be many reasons why you're not getting positive responses. You should go to your school's career center and have them look at your resume and cover letter. There might be flaws there that you aren't catching. It also could be your age. For ***** work, your class standing won't matter too much, but if a company is interested in training you with the intent to possibly keep you on after you graduate, being a sophomore is a disadvantage.

You also can't be too picky about the fashion side of an internship. You should be applying to any and all editorial internships.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:16 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,166,014 times
does your school have a career fair? i remember we had them a few times a year and some were focused on internships. def a good place to start...or with your career center

Old 05-15-2012, 11:13 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,690,233 times
you need to track them down, to the point it is harassment.. i lurked 2 companies back to back until someone gave me an interview and i landed both

Old 05-16-2012, 04:58 AM

417 posts, read 825,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
internships are the new entry level job, expect to fight tooth and nail for them, expect lots of competition for one/few open spots. Don't be fooled just because it is an internship or it because it is unpaid that it will magically become easier to get a internship.

Also get use to never hearing back a reply aside from the standard "thank you for applying email". I recomend checking bookjobs.com it is editorial/publishing type work though not really of the fashion type magazine. At this point I would settle for any type of publishing, editing job... sales department, layout whatever.

Yes it is frustrating but that is life, just keep going.
This in a nutshell.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:32 PM

143 posts, read 378,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
I just finished my sophomore year of college and "the norm" is that interning starts after junior year. Maybe I am just too concerned and too anxious about building up my resume so I can beat the odds when I graduate, but I've sent out over 50 applications and changing so many cover letters for these companies, 75% of them are small, start-up, lesser-known companies. I'm a journalism major, trying to break into fashion communications (difficult field, I know) so when I couldn't apply to top-notch fashion magazines, i had to resort to PR and other editorial listings.

I went to two job interviews last week, one for a well-known investment firm in need of an editor and a entertainment PR company that works closely with magazines. The entertainment PR was in need of someone to begin last week and I have not heard from them. I have sent resumes over on LinkedIn..they've been looked at but no reply. It frustrates me because most of these companies know I'm not a fit, yet they don't have the courtesy to just concisely say "no", even after going all the way to an interview. I find myself appreciating rejections than being ignored. Some of these small companies are more picky and demanding than the well-known companies with their "must show college transcript and have at least a 3.0 GPA". I think this is much worse than applying for a real job, since most interns don't even get paid and they're being so picky.

Does it frustrate anyone else who has sent dozens of applications and get no replies? I think a lot of people who do the hiring these days lack a lot of courtesy. I apologize that I am ranting, but I'm kind of smittened that I won't be able to have higher chances of being considered for future jobs because of little-to-no experience.

Because you're a journalism major.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:47 PM

723 posts, read 2,194,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEnterprises View Post

Old 05-16-2012, 11:21 PM

877 posts, read 2,013,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEnterprises View Post

Actually, a lot of these internships are strictly looking for communications/journalism majors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment