Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 08:31 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,007,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
It's just hilarious and depressing to basically be told one day, "Oh, no - you really need specific experience to understand our industry" and then the next day hear about some new executive who was hired from a different (even if related) industry. A double-standard, one might think!
No double standard-its what I mentioned earlier. An oversupply of labor vs demand, except in executive circles, and I mean top tier. Mid level execs also have too much supply vs demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 08:37 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,029,551 times
Quote:
You keep telling yourself that.

Nothing can happen to you. You're a hard worker - you keep on learning, gaining certificates, and all that great stuff. Nope, you're above it all, and all those other people out there, well, they must be unemployed because of some personal failing. Surely they didn't work hard, do what they thought was right - or what they were told was right. That's no possible, because if it was, that would mean that something else - somebody else - had control over a man's fate.

No, they can't be out of work because of health problems, age, or even the job market. Nope. In America, everyone always gets exactly what they deserve.

Heaven help you when your karma catches up with you.
Alright no mr. nice guy.

Your right everyone does get exactly what they deserve.

Gone are the days where you can be a mindless, uneducated, society sucker and think your going to be compensated fairly. Gone are the days where simpleton jobs pay competitive wages.

These people have entitlement issues.

This is a competitive market now. You either get with the program or get deleted. Go hard or take your ball and go home.

So for any unskilled, uneducated, lazy worker out there. You are screwed.

If you think you can get by in life flipping burgers, lifting packages, and ringing out people all day on a register my baby cousin can use your setting yourself up for a nice life.

You don't want to put the work in and get the education or skills that employer's need then sit on your coach at home broke, unemployed and wasting your life away sending resumes to an online black hole.

But like I said I'm wasting my energy debating this issue because no matter how right you think you are and how wrong you think I am the reality is we are in an employer's and in demand skilled worker's market.

So you guys can say it should be that way or your a jerk or blah blah the fact of the matter is.

There is nothing you can do right now that will change the current situation and until the situation is changed your wasting your characters, energy, and time on this board reiterating and whining about the same problem over and over gain.

It's actually amusing. The unemployed/under paid are telling the rich, powerful and the ones in control to stop benefiting off of them. It's like watching someone yell at a Brick wall telling it to move.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:46 PM

640 posts, read 1,216,161 times
That goes for employers too. If you're hurting for employees, and nobody wants to do your work, just sit back and accept it, and when almost the entire population is unemployed and every store is empty, (and nobody buys your products or services)...you're going down with the rest of us too. It's not one-sided, it works both ways. I'm not knocking down the rich, just stating a fact. Everybody's going down in the end.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:33 PM

23,297 posts, read 29,154,987 times
I work in a Long-Term Care/Rehab facility, heavily dependent, if not entirely, on Medicaid/Medicare funding. I hear the clock ticking ever so loudly, as I read that Medicare is the biggest drain on our Federal budget.

I know it's coming, it's coming, it's coming, but how soon, I know not!

The madness simply can't continue like it has, and I'm bracing for it: unemployment as a result of being in a supposedly "secure" nursing profession!

What then? A euthanasia consultant?

Old 05-28-2012, 06:00 AM

13,008 posts, read 18,955,356 times
Did you know that a lifetime ago, long-distance calls required operators, as did elevators, and pins in bowling alleys were manually set? All tolls were collected manually at tollbooths. Somehow the economy survived the loss of those jobs. Economic growth and increasing living standards are the key.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:38 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,705,235 times
Well, we ARE paying for corporations' benefits - watch this video if you don't believe it.

General Motors is becoming China Motors - YouTube

You can grouse about the evil corporations all you want, but it is your own elected government who is shafting you; taking your tax dollars to hand over to their corporate buddies while telling you that they are "saving jobs". They are, all right - in China.

China is Colonizing America, here are 45 signs of it (with embedded links)

45 Signs That China Is Colonizing America

Here's a couple of samples:
#2 Earlier this month, the Federal Reserve announced that it has given approval for banks owned by the Chinese government to buy stakes in U.S.-owned banks.
#3 A few days ago Reuters reported that China is now able to completely bypass Wall Street and purchase U.S. debt directly from the U.S. Treasury Department.

#8 Chinese investors have been gobbling up real estate all over New York City. The following is from a recent Forbes article....
According to a recent report in the New York Times, investors from China are “snapping up luxury apartments†and are planning to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on commercial and residential projects like Atlantic Yards in Brooklyn. Chinese companies also have signed major leases at the Empire State Building and at 1 World Trade Center, the report said.
#9 The Chinese are also doing huge real estate deals in cities in the middle part of the country. The following example is from an article in the Toledo Blade....
Dashing Pacific Group Ltd., which has already purchased the nearby Docks restaurant complex for $2.15 million, put its $3.8 million offer to buy the southern 69 acres at the Marina District in East Toledo back on the table for approval by Toledo City Council. Additionally, Dashing Pacific Chairman Yuan Xiaohong, in a letter signed in Hangzhou, said the firm wants a two-year option to buy the decommissioned Toledo Edison power plant property on the site.
#10 According to ABC News, major road and bridge projects all over the United States are being built by Chinese companies. Meanwhile, there are millions upon millions of blue collar American workers that cannot find jobs. The following is a brief excerpt from a recent ABC News article....
In New York there is a $400 million renovation project on the Alexander Hamilton Bridge.
In California, there is a $7.2 billion project to rebuild the Bay Bridge connecting San Francisco and Oakland.
In Alaska, there is a proposal for a $190 million bridge project.
These projects sound like steps in the right direction, but much of the work is going to Chinese government-owned firms.
"When we subsidize jobs in China, we're not creating any wealth in the United States," said Scott Paul, executive director for the Alliance for American Manufacturing.
<end quotes>

No, darlings, you don't have to wonder what jobs you will have, or whom you'll be working for, or who will own the apartment/land you live on, who will sell you your electricity, food, or water (or regulate it for you).

Your best bet - learn Mandarin, so you can speak to your masters. You've been sold out; your "birthright" has been traded for a mess of pottage. And your government and the corporations whom you bailed out with your tax dollars are profiting partners in the sellout.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:36 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,593,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
But I'm employed, doing ok for myself, can get a job anywhere and my situation keeps improving:rolleyes

I'm a jerk because I accept the market for the way it is and do everything in my power to get ahead instead of whine like a 3 year old child.

Your logic is astounding.
Isn't the whole purpose of a forum to come on here, vent, share ideas, whatever?

I guess we can boil it all down to 'whining'.

And we could chalk up all your posts to 'bragging.' For those of us who aspired to be in corporate America and worked hard to make our way up the ladder ~ we are in a different set of circumstances than you. The game has changed a bit.

Not that I'm complaining (heaven forbid); I still have a good job, with good pay and good benefits.

But to kid ourselves that only the best and brightest get to keep their job in a corporate environment - not true. It really is who you know and not what you know. If your boss likes you ~ you're good. If your boss suddenly falls out of favor - watch out.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:42 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,048,331 times
Veyron: If you honestly think that a large number of the unemployed are unskilled, uneducated, and lazy, then you're living in a dream world created by corporate brainwashing.

As for getting "the skills employers demand," again, you don't get it. What employers demand these days includes: years of narrow experience in their industry for ENTRY-LEVEL positions. If you don't have it, you can't get it - and no, your years of experience in a similar field will NOT transfer over. They also strongly prefer people under about 30 years of age for lower health insurance costs. People can't control their age, and do you really think the ill deserve their fate?! Finally, they also strongly prefer people who are already employed; if they have a "No unemployed need apply" policy, nobody who's out of work, including somebody as "talented" as you will get past the barriers.

I get what you're saying that complaining about the corruption and inhumanity of the idiots running our economy won't change anything, but show a little empathy to your fellow man and realize that the days of "working hard and getting educated" equaling a decent job are long gone.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:17 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,536,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Did you know that a lifetime ago, long-distance calls required operators, as did elevators, and pins in bowling alleys were manually set? All tolls were collected manually at tollbooths. Somehow the economy survived the loss of those jobs. Economic growth and increasing living standards are the key.
A lot of people have a hard time accepting change. They want that 30 year job where they stay at the same level for 20 years. That just isn't reality in a global economy now and probably never should have been reality.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:48 AM

461 posts, read 912,680 times
Quote:
if they have a "No unemployed need apply" policy,
I've never seen that policy before. That makes absolutely no sense. Are the unemployed expected to to not apply for jobs that they are qualified for, all because they were unfortunate to lose their job?

Some employers are just ridiculous. It's almost like when they require experience for an entry level (or pizza delivery!!) job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment