Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 07:55 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Hard to say from industry to industry.
The average tenure in fundraising these days is less than 18 months.

I've been at my current job for almost eight years. I'm starting to wonder if I've not been here too long ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 09:17 AM

3,920 posts, read 6,835,417 times
My most marketable asset is my knowledge of a couple of Software Platforms that companies may subscribe to. This platform is used by many many companies, and I find myself mostly going in there training myself or just working business as usual. I think job hopping for my specified job is not as big of a deal. My pay and education is fairly irrelevant. But, I do agree that job hopping is mostly a bad thing, ESPECIALLY when you have to invest a lot into training somebody prior to their on-boarding.

I think I have the perfect situation because the company will pay me a premium for coming on-board knowing what I know. I even find myself training others once I start... its kind of nice.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:51 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Being an employee for the average person definitely sucks in this country. You are basically a wage slave...an indentured servant at the whims of the employers.And they're becoming more whimsical in this Recession. You have to be a superstar. Like someone said on a different thread, they want a purple squirrel dirt cheap.So unless you've got all the connections, perfect background, perfect looks and will indenture yourself for years to them, you're scre**d. Of course, with all the required criteria, you also have to be indispensable and have skills that are very hard to find/replace so you can't be outsourced. And on top of the various forms of discrimination faced by the unemployed, you have online application systems that are useless. That disqualifies most people.

Job hopping is natural to this system.It's the other side of the coin of employment at will. Employers and lawmakers need to create conditions that encourage people to stay. Since they won't do that, they should sleep in the bed that they've made it.

Exactly employers have only got themselves to blame for Job hoppers

Old 06-30-2012, 02:52 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
What is the threshold of staying in a job where you are called(or not called) a job hopper. Obviously staying 3 months will get you called a job hopper. But what about 1 year? 18 months, 3 years?
All I do is job hop.

The longest I've stayed at a job is at one of the jobs I have now: 10 months (today actually).

ETA: But I had good reasons to job hop. Location/commute, pay, relevance to field of study....etc.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
All I do is job hop.

The longest I've stayed at a job is at one of the jobs I have now: 10 months (today actually).

ETA: But I had good reasons to job hop. Location/commute, pay, relevance to field of study....etc.

The other thing is - where is there to Job hop to - There only seems to be interview for very similar jobs to the current job

Old 06-30-2012, 03:00 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Job hopping has a way of catching up with folks. Most employers view patterns of job hopping as a circular file resume. Perhaps the first or second time in a decent economy it may not harm someone, but 3, 4, 5 times, good luck getting a resume even read.
When the economy was better (and depending on the field) job hopping every 3-5 years (over a 20 yr period) was the only real way to get real pay increases. I've had companies who refused to give me pay increases in relation to attaining certifications, I had one company I jumped out of and jumped back into six months later when they offered me what I wanted in the first place (I hit them up for a additional 5% for my troubles). I do much better in the current economy being a IC with my own LLC.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:46 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,731,674 times
This is a relevant topic for me. I made a switch to a new job 14 months ago. I moved because it the new job offered a pay increase and apparently a better career path and the chance to new learn things.

Now barely a year later, the company performance is in the tank. Sometimes the executives seem clueless and unprofessional. An outside investment firm is threatening to take over. Already the workforce is about 50% of what it was, and there are plans for another 25% reduction by August. So I've gone from passively looking to actively looking. However the 14 months on my resume really bothers me. I want it to be longer. Since graduation 10 years ago, I've worked at one place for 5 years and another for 4. So I hope prospective employers view this as a one-time blip, rather than job hopping.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:53 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
This is a relevant topic for me. I made a switch to a new job 14 months ago. I moved because it the new job offered a pay increase and apparently a better career path and the chance to new learn things.

Now barely a year later, the company performance is in the tank. Sometimes the executives seem clueless and unprofessional. An outside investment firm is threatening to take over. Already the workforce is about 50% of what it was, and there are plans for another 25% reduction by August. So I've gone from passively looking to actively looking. However the 14 months on my resume really bothers me. I want it to be longer. Since graduation 10 years ago, I've worked at one place for 5 years and another for 4. So I hope prospective employers view this as a one-time blip, rather than job hopping.

I know what you mean, I wanted to stay at my last job for 2 years before seeking other opportunities because the company closed down. I like to stay at any place for 2 years or more before transitioning out

Old 07-04-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I don't see how an employer can criticize someone for job hopping unless someone is really throwing away good jobs left and right. The companies doing the hiring, firing, laying off, and puppet mastering are the exact reason people job hob to begin with. Look at all the companies playing the temp game or all the companies buying out smaller companies and then merging or changing jobs. It's not worth it to stay with a company unless they are offering good raises and promotions. Employers try to pigeonhole people into busting their butt at a low paying dead end job.
Exactly no job is safe, Job insecurity is rife, there always looking to cut costs - Your never sure if the company your working for will turn on you - and they will at a moments notice if they no longer need you, or don't want you.

They employ people give them no training, no support, no guidance, no assurances their job is safe for any length of time, or kind of meaningful feedback - even threaten with job loss in subtle ways, and make people walk on eggshells, those that do stick it out longer are often left doing the same job for years - and then wonder why they Job hop, or why they have a high turnover of staff, or they can't hold on to decent staff

Old 07-04-2012, 12:18 PM

570 posts, read 1,729,778 times
i don't see any problem. I left my job after 10.5 months, worked for another company for 3 months.
I just changed job couple weeks ago because another company found me. I didn't even go out looking for jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment