Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 02:42 PM

269 posts, read 296,018 times

Advertisements

Like all other things, it depends. The main thing employers look for is the relevant experience in the workforce. Someone who's had 3 jobs in 2 years is going to look better than the person who hasn't worked in 6 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 09:03 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Exactly no job is safe, Job insecurity is rife, there always looking to cut costs - Your never sure if the company your working for will turn on you - and they will at a moments notice if they no longer need you, or don't want you.

They employ people give them no training, no support, no guidance, no assurances their job is safe for any length of time, or kind of meaningful feedback - even threaten with job loss in subtle ways, and make people walk on eggshells, those that do stick it out longer are often left doing the same job for years - and then wonder why they Job hop, or why they have a high turnover of staff, or they can't hold on to decent staff

I know which is why it amazes me that some employed people on this board act so uppity like nothing can happen to them

Old 07-04-2012, 09:07 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirling_vortex View Post
Like all other things, it depends. The main thing employers look for is the relevant experience in the workforce. Someone who's had 3 jobs in 2 years is going to look better than the person who hasn't worked in 6 months.
I don't know about that. The person who hasn't worked in 6 months could have been employed 6 straight years at their last employer

Old 10-27-2012, 11:07 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Well, my dad worked at a large corporation for about 11 years until 2006 (when it encountered financial problems and he was laid off.) Since then, he's been "job hopping", having stayed as short as 7 months at one job. He's not had problems finding work, even during the recession, due to his top reputation in his field.

Lesson learned: Develop a reputation of performing well and you don't need to worry about being labeled as a job hopper.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:19 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Well, my dad worked at a large corporation for about 11 years until 2006 (when it encountered financial problems and he was laid off.) Since then, he's been "job hopping", having stayed as short as 7 months at one job. He's not had problems finding work, even during the recession, due to his top reputation in his field.

Lesson learned: Develop a reputation of performing well and you don't need to worry about being labeled as a job hopper.

I like to commit atleast 2 years to any job I start.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:24 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,139,577 times
Do employee's ever get to question a company on why lots of people have left the job in the the last year, why they have such a high turnover of staff, why anyone good leaves and finds another Job - Ever went to a job interview and asked your potential employer what is the turnover rate.

Ever seen a list of an exact list of the number of people in your department and the reason they have left - I think not that is all shrouded in secret by HR, and most people won't give the real reason they left because they need to get a reference for their new job.

Ever wonder why people just disappear at work one day, and you only hear they have left a few weeks later. Ever wonder if your the lowest paid at your job, or in the middle, or highest - You don't know because your just a pawn.

Most of the organisations real going's on are cloaked in secrecy, behind closed doors.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:43 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Do employee's ever get to question a company on why lots of people have left the job in the the last year, why they have such a high turnover of staff, why anyone good leaves and finds another Job - Ever went to a job interview and asked your potential employer what is the turnover rate.

Ever seen a list of an exact list of the number of people in your department and the reason they have left - I think not that is all shrouded in secret by HR, and most people won't give the real reason they left because they need to get a reference for their new job.

Ever wonder why people just disappear at work one day, and you only hear they have left a few weeks later. Ever wonder if your the lowest paid at your job, or in the middle, or highest - You don't know because your just a pawn.

Most of the organisations real going's on are cloaked in secrecy, behind closed doors.
Self-employment is the answer.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:30 AM

3,925 posts, read 6,839,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
From an HR standpoint, anything under a year is questionable. If it is less than 2 years, have a good reason for leaving, such as a shorter commute, better opportunity, better pay and the like. Those are reasons that most of us would at least consider leaving. Less than a year looks like you are unable to commit or there were performance issues. Once you pass the year, the performance issues reason for leaving pretty much goes away as just about any company will terminate a bad employee within the 1st year, no matter how bad they are.

Also, I think a company being worried about job hopping (especially if you have jobs that are a year or longer) is usually a sign that the COMPANY knows they are rotten. I had a couple of shorter term jobs during college...took them during light load quarters and left during heavy load. The ONLY company that I ever encountered who had issue with this, and in fact I did not get the job after 3 interviews, was Enterprise. And if you look at their employee retention rates and what they put their employees through, it is pretty clear they want employees who have been conditioned to stay no matter the working conditions, not ones who will look for something else if they hate a job.
I can't rep you anymore bunny. But I completely agree with the above.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:31 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
I would say about a year and a half...there is no reason to stay with a company if you can make more somewhere else . If they aren't paying enough then that's their fault. They deserve to lose their talent.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:48 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,142,093 times
Returning back to the workforce in 2004, I got into the field of property management and was with the same company till 2010. I really wanted to get five years in with the same employer, not only because I enjoyed my job but for the sake of that strange "experience" factor that you see in job descriptions. I ended up getting laid off in 2010 right after the five year mark but was back to work in the fall, in the same field.

I was very lucky and my five years of solid experience with one company worked to my benefit. I just passed the two year mark and gained a CAM license, which is necessary for moving up the ladder in property management. I hope to stay with my company and continue to move up. I do understand the nature of the economy at the moment and living in a right to work state means anyone can leave at any time for any reason. Getting licensed was a means to also increase my income. I now have hit the seven year experience level and have remained in my field of choice. It's not easy to get into this field and onto a property to manage without on-site experience either. I had five years on-site during my prior job and hoping that will serve me well in the future. No easy answers anymore!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment