Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 08:53 PM

380 posts, read 1,156,651 times

Advertisements

I am currently on a temp assignment. I am new to my career field and I have become more serious about looking for a permanent job now that have some relevant experience under my belt. The temp position that I am in needs a permanent person. But, I don't think I really want to work for this company permanently. I really appreciate having a job and would hate to lose this job without something else lined up. But, I would rather leave on my own terms than to be told out of the blue they decided to not hire me on permanently.

I have received on the job training and I just don't feel I'm getting good experience. After being there for 3 going into to my 4th month there are still things I haven't been trained to do, despite, the fact I have quickly and efficiently learned all tasks I have been assigned. My boss is always saying it's hard to pass things off to me because he just does them himself. So, he continues to do the duties I should be doing. He says he'll teach me certain things then doesn't.

The most frustrating thing about this is that the position he is training me in he doesn't really know the functions and duties of that positon. In many ways, he is learning things right along with me. The last person to hold the position retired after almost 30 years of service and there was no one else in the company who performed those duties.

I sort of feel as though he is holding me back. Not intentionally, but, I'm ready to take on more, but, his training of me is not moving at the same pace as I am. He oftentimes has me do work specifically for him. Things such as creating spreadsheets to help him with forecasting and budgeting. I feel as though I am his assistant which isn't the job I'm supposed to be doing. At least, I don't think. Even other people in the company have described my primary duties as "duties as assigned" by my boss instead of what I am supposed to be doing.

I don't mind helping him. We kind of work together. I'm ok with that, but, I want to be an accountant not a secretary. By me being new to the field I'm not certain I'm gaining all the skills I need to build a career.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. This situation is so frustrating and worrisome for me. Thanks for listening to me vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 09:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,333,263 times
You are a temp. Most employers are not going to spend a lot of time training a person that has a short term assignment there. When I hire temps I expect them to know how to do the work and only train them on our specific procedures or individual tasks that we need help with. If they can't handle it we send them on their way and try someone else. We have had temps end up getting permanent positions, but they took it upon themselves to learn more about the work on their own so they were able to compete successfully with others from inside and out when there was an opening.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:06 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,400,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You are a temp. Most employers are not going to spend a lot of time training a person that has a short term assignment there. When I hire temps I expect them to know how to do the work and only train them on our specific procedures or individual tasks that we need help with. If they can't handle it we send them on their way and try someone else. We have had temps end up getting permanent positions, but they took it upon themselves to learn more about the work on their own so they were able to compete successfully with others from inside and out when there was an opening.
I agree. Also, they say it takes about a year to really learn your job, and I have found that to be true. No, you are not incompetent the first 11 months, but it really does take about that amount of time to get to the point where you can get through a day without running into something you are unsure on how to handle.

Keep trying to gain knowledge and you never know what will happen

Old 07-02-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post

I think you misunderstood my post. The job is temp to perm. They set out to hire an inexperienced person for the job so they could train them. They already knew I didn't know the functions of the job and intended to train someone. The work is something that requires training or prior knowledge. It's not about me not being proactive enough. However, the person training me doesn't know the functions of the job himself so the training is inadequate.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I agree. Also, they say it takes about a year to really learn your job, and I have found that to be true. No, you are not incompetent the first 11 months, but it really does take about that amount of time to get to the point where you can get through a day without running into something you are unsure on how to handle.

Keep trying to gain knowledge and you never know what will happen

I agree about gaining knowledge. But, that is the whole point to my problem. I don't feel I'm gaining any knowledge because the person training doesn't know enough about the job I'm hired to do to train me. I would hate to waste anymore time working here when I don't think I'm getting a solid foundation.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:04 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,626,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
I agree about gaining knowledge. But, that is the whole point to my problem. I don't feel I'm gaining any knowledge because the person training doesn't know enough about the job I'm hired to do to train me. I would hate to waste anymore time working here when I don't think I'm getting a solid foundation.

Most careers have inadequate training....sign of the times-you are probably going to have to learn on your own..a lot of my jobs have been learn by fire...if you like your job then find ways to learn. Otherwise, move on.

Good luck

Old 07-02-2012, 07:15 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,169,048 times
the fact that he is unwilling to share some of his duties would worry me. do you work in a finance related field? im thinking you do from previous posts of yours. the situation sounds shady. i work in a risk management role, though, so that is often my mindset.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Most careers have inadequate training....sign of the times-you are probably going to have to learn on your own..a lot of my jobs have been learn by fire...if you like your job then find ways to learn. Otherwise, move on.

Good luck

You are right. Thank you for your post. I am looking for other opportunities that would be better for me.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
the fact that he is unwilling to share some of his duties would worry me. do you work in a finance related field? im thinking you do from previous posts of yours. the situation sounds shady. i work in a risk management role, though, so that is often my mindset.
I work in accounting.

I don't know if him not sharing duties is shady or not. Some days I feel that it is. Other days I just think he wears so many hats and gets so busy that unless I'm standing right in front of him he probably forgets about me.

For the most part, I don't think it's shady because he has me do alot of harder type tasks. For instance, I have to create invoices manually instead of printing them off the system. Whereas, all the contracts that are straightforward enough to be entered and printed from the system he does that. I asked him about it a few weeks ago and he just said it's quick for him to just print those and it takes time for the manual invoices. I don't know if that's good or bad.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:48 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,206,326 times
Welcome to temp world.

The company has no motivation to make long term investments in your training, and would ideally like to put as little outlay in you as possible. This is primarily why you probably find yourself doing the absolute minimum of work, and absolute minimal taks, tasks which are usually very basic, structured, and likely repetitive.

By putting as little investment as they can in you, theyve put them self in the most ideal position to cut you as soon as you have lost value to them, or for you to simply wise up and walk at the first opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment