Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 03:53 PM

360 posts, read 712,741 times

Advertisements

Sales - every company needs money to come in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 05:03 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,895 times
your basic Accounting functions

- payroll workers to pay people who are actually working
- accounts payable workers to pay the bills
- accounts receivable workers to bill and collect revenue

Old 01-10-2014, 05:39 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
Oilfield work!

Old 01-10-2014, 05:56 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
The one profession that always is hiring is over the road semi drivers.

( certainly not a profession most can handle )
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Is driving a semi something that most people cannot learn to do?
The over the road stuff is tough, away from your family. The pay is not as great as the company recruiters would leave you to believe. Most people can learn to do it, although I'd say it really takes about 3-4 yrs to really be proficient at it. I'm speaking from experience, I started driving a tractor-trailer about 8yrs ago at age 52. I don't drive over the road though, fortunately I drive locally, home every night, (day actually because most of the work is at night). My longest trip is about 500 miles in a day.

If you look at some of the ads, they'll say "no touch" freight, meaning you don't have to load/unload, some say a percentage, 98% but again the ads can't always be believed. Due to various factors turnover in the industry is 100%. If you really are interested in it, check out Overdrive magazine, they have a website Truckersreport.com with information on trends, etc. in the trucking industry.
Also hardly anyone talks on the CB anymore.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:35 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Become a barber or hair stylist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I'm in the midst of a career change, and one of the thoughts that is continuously swirling in my brain is whether or not there is enough work either in my current or future field to sustain job demand for days, weeks, years.

So ... I started thinking, what are the jobs where there is always demand for people to be working, where there is always something to be done, all year round?

The one thing I came up with was working at McDonalds. There's always a steady stream of customers at McDonalds day and night, 365 days a year, and they always need people to serve food or ring the register. They don't have to advertise or win clients. You can be assured that when you come into work on Monday, you won't be told, "There's nothing really going on right now. Read some technical manuals and take some online certification courses and charge it to overhead."

Lol. Anybody have any others?

Old 01-10-2014, 09:48 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetMission View Post
Surprised nobody mentioned plumbing. Am I right? I mean, people never stop sh*tting.
The maintenance aspect of plumbing will always be needed but the construction and installation part goes with construction. As construction is slow, so are plumbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Oilfield work!
Surely you jest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Become a barber or hair stylist
A good one. Unfortunately, I cannot cut hair.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:52 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800
Oilfield work!
Surely you jest.

Crude hauling in the oilfields pays well and continues long after the boom ends...

Someone with a new CDL can easily make 70K plus their first year and close to 100k the next and have full benefits right away, home every night and one or two days off each week.

Do you have evidence to the contrary?

Old 01-10-2014, 11:05 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Crude hauling in the oilfields pays well and continues long after the boom ends...

Someone with a new CDL can easily make 70K plus their first year and close to 100k the next and have full benefits right away, home every night and one or two days off each week.

Do you have evidence to the contrary?
I have worked in natural gas. So I have an idea of the skewed depiction of oil/gas as a dream job where somebody with no skills or qualifications easily collects six figures and sits at home half the year.

But that wasn't the point of my reply.

Oil and natural gas are NON-renewable resources. Clearly, there won't always be consistent work for them, at least in one place.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:01 AM

10 posts, read 15,938 times
If you already have McD experience, Chick-fil-A would be nice. I heard somewhere that a lot of their previous managers join the franchise and have their own shops now. Don't know whether it's true or not.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:12 AM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Maintenance. Equipment and machines are always breaking down. They have services supporting various brands that drive all around fixing these things. They charge a pretty steep hourly rate to make up for the slow times, but inevitably, someone will call.

Other maintenance related duties can be a bit more laborious and frankly, a PITA. Waste and sludge removal... Nobody wants to do it, which means you can name your own price under some circumstances. Even still, after spending enough time in that role, most people would rather move on to something else, and there's good reason for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment