Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 07:43 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Weren't you bragging to us about how your job was recession proof a year ago
Please stopping talk to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 08:55 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Please stopping talk to me
I believe you have misplaced your suffix. Better luck next time.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:38 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I overheard some nurses today talking about friends of theirs with nursing degrees who are unable to find jobs.

I had some experienced ED nurses tell me that the only reason they have jobs is their experience, but it also works against them when money matters...many places are now hiring the new grads. But that's not a good thing for the new grads. The managers who aren't nurses don't know what it takes to "come on board" and it's a brutal trip.

Everything outside nursing is saturated. Medical records too, that's even being outsourced.

Also wages have gone down. Slowly down to 2005-08 wages in Allied Health, with pay cuts too. No increases.

The media and schools keep perpetuating this myth that healthcare cannot be saturated. That the Babyboomers will need healthcare, that the population is increasing, that people will always get sick...but those are simplistic reasons, and facilities deal with those issues right now. They aren't overstaffing. They have people who aren't trading in their jobs. When several schools pour out 20 grads in a specialty per year, and you have several schools doing that, the jobs just aren't there.

Medicine is the new IT as far as jobs are concerned. When computers filled up, everyone got pushed into medicine. So for all the people still barking about all the jobs in "the medical field", it just isn't so.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
When you guys find that perfect career that offers 100% job security, be sure to let me know.

I chased the nursing fad for awhile. The classes ahead of me were having a terrible time finding jobs. I left. The class I would have graduated with all told me the same story. Some were lucky to find nurse tech or PCT jobs. Nursing jobs though??? Not so much luck. Starting pay for the few that found something was not impressive, but I think they will have good opportunities down the line. A recent report I read stated that in 2011, the hardest hit professions with regards to wages were nursing, accounting, and the other I can't recall.

I see too many people chasing too few jobs. Many are going for those "golden tickets". That is, the job that one does not have to worry about job security. In this economy, they simply don't exist. Hospitals do mass layoffs like every other sector these days.

What people NEED to be asking... If I had only a few thousand in the bank, what would I still be spending money on??? Answer that for yourself, and think what type of sector that few thousand might be finding it's way to.

My Wahl trimmers cost me about $20. Pretty much eliminated any need I had for a barber. And I can feel good about it too... They were made in the good ol U.S.A American's helping Americans

That's because school counselors, high school and college, push students into perceived job markets. Nursing was big for awhile, but soon, everyone was going into it. You see a LOT of older men in this field now. Nursing is a hard job, and not for the faint of heart, and the pay is definitely good, but you work your butt off for it. Same with any other Allied Health field. But you get stuck working nights, weekends, on call, holidays. You don't have the semblance of life others have. Of course, we would all take that if we had a good job.
And you are right about starting a business. One basically has to go into business in something they know very well, and many times, that isn't something one can just open a business in. Ideally, working for oneself would put all of that energy wasted working in businesses to work for oneself. But it is hard to compete with businesses that are owned by other bigger businesses. The money and resources are at their fingertips.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:14 PM

326 posts, read 950,064 times
Repo Man?

Old 07-12-2012, 10:56 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
That's because school counselors, high school and college, push students into perceived job markets. Nursing was big for awhile, but soon, everyone was going into it. You see a LOT of older men in this field now. Nursing is a hard job, and not for the faint of heart, and the pay is definitely good, but you work your butt off for it. Same with any other Allied Health field. But you get stuck working nights, weekends, on call, holidays. You don't have the semblance of life others have. Of course, we would all take that if we had a good job.
And you are right about starting a business. One basically has to go into business in something they know very well, and many times, that isn't something one can just open a business in. Ideally, working for oneself would put all of that energy wasted working in businesses to work for oneself. But it is hard to compete with businesses that are owned by other bigger businesses. The money and resources are at their fingertips.
I do believe that if you are "business oriented" and put your mind to it, you can succeed. I really think too many people are sitting around feeling sorry for themselves and not thinking about what they can do to make money. I know, I was one of them. Feeling sorry for myself only paralyzed me and caused me to end up broke. No employer wants to hire someone in the midst of a pity party.

Too many people are reading the various doomsday, America is going down the tubes, there are no jobs, the government must take care of everyone posts and fueling their personal pity party.

Success is still possible. I actually know a guy who became very successful selling real estate....post 2008. My cousin just recently was hired as a respiratory therapist and is happier than he has ever been. He graduated in the midst of this awful economy and was hired. I have another cousin who is a new nurse with an associates degree who was hired on at a hospital.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:21 AM

833 posts, read 1,714,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
funeral homes, people are always dying to do business with you
Not true anymore.

With cremation gaining in popularity, the good old days of full service undertakers,grave diggers, casket factories, vault makers, having a high demand future is over.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:47 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,690,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
Not true anymore.

With cremation gaining in popularity, the good old days of full service undertakers,grave diggers, casket factories, vault makers, having a high demand future is over.
really??? darn it! well maybe he can learn cremation? hey that could work

Old 07-13-2012, 10:03 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,789 times
I've heard there's been a lot of consolidation in the funeral industry--I guess that doesn't mean that you can't go into it, but you'll probably be an employee of a larger company or network of funeral homes. I think it may not be as stable as people may believe.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I do believe that if you are "business oriented" and put your mind to it, you can succeed. I really think too many people are sitting around feeling sorry for themselves and not thinking about what they can do to make money. I know, I was one of them. Feeling sorry for myself only paralyzed me and caused me to end up broke. No employer wants to hire someone in the midst of a pity party.

Too many people are reading the various doomsday, America is going down the tubes, there are no jobs, the government must take care of everyone posts and fueling their personal pity party.

Success is still possible. I actually know a guy who became very successful selling real estate....post 2008. My cousin just recently was hired as a respiratory therapist and is happier than he has ever been. He graduated in the midst of this awful economy and was hired. I have another cousin who is a new nurse with an associates degree who was hired on at a hospital.

Not me, I can't afford to sit around feeling sorry for myself. I do freelancing while I am looking for a real job. I also do on-call work. It's not an option not to work.

Feel sorry for myself? That makes no sense when millions of others are in my shoes.

I am all about solutions. That's why I got myself two college degrees. And, I do things to help my country, because I care a lot about what the future is like for the next group.

And I am far more than business-minded.

I don't recall ever, ever making one post asking the United States government to take care of me.

But yes, America IS going down the tubes. If you studied your history, you'd know the signs of decay of a civilization. Even Thomas Jefferson didn't think this experiment would last more than about 200 years.

Because you know a few people who got jobs doesn't mean the economic climate of the Unites States is good. I know quite a few good, educated people out of work, and it all depends on what you do.

Yes, success is always possible, but harder than ever. I've talked to the Small Business Association and SCORE, so I know what is feasible. You can have all the motive in the world, but if you don't have feasibility, it won't move.

Laws of Physics: f = ma (gotta have that mass)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment