Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wal-mart or state?
would rather work at walmart and get my sanity 1 5.00%
would suck it up and deal with it and it would push me towards doing better in school 19 95.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 09:51 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,397,135 times

Advertisements

I agree. And it did help me, as it was seen as making a great effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 12:16 PM

21 posts, read 23,373 times
OP, I honestly think you are better off staying employed with the state. Since you work six months out of a year, you could go to school online during your time off. I wouldn’t recommend quitting your current job. The economy is unstable. These days there are many college graduates with little career prospects.

Plus, if you stay employed with the state, you could either get tuition reimbursement or have your student loans (if you decide to get student loans) forgiven for being a public servant. Good Luck!

Old 08-14-2012, 12:31 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,166,014 times
getting a degree from liberty online might be a waste of time and money, depending on how much you will end up paying for it.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:25 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,338,401 times
I'd strongly encourage you to do a compare-and-contrast of benefits between Wal-Mart and your state, both the type and extent of benefits and the cost to the employee. My younger kid learned a hard, hard lesson about the critical necessity of examining the benefits package with a keen eye before taking a seemingly advantageous job offer; I won't go into details, but really look carefully at what it would cost you to get the same health insurance coverage you get from the state at Wal-Mart. If you've got other benefits as well - dental or vision insurance, longterm care insurance, disability insurance, income replacement, etc - see if they exist at Wal-Mart, and if so, how much they cost the employee.

The other thing I'd comment is to agree with those who mentioned the insane hours around the holidays. Do you have a family? Do you have regular holiday traditions; do you like to travel around the holidays? Will it bother you if you have to work on Thanksgiving, until 10:00 pm or later on Christmas Eve, on New Year's Day, on Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, and so on? How well do you handle working 50 and 60 hour weeks? Are you ok with being on your feet and on the go for ten to twelve hours a day?

Having worked both in retail and for a state agency, I can tell you that I'd far rather work for the state than for Wal-Mart. There are drawbacks, most assuredly, as there are in any job, but one of the biggest advantages in working for the state was it actually allows time and energy for a life outside of work.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:31 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkAquarius View Post
I have been working for the state for the past 6 years sometimes i look back and i asked myself how did I come this far and i plan on going back to school full time online at liberty.edu I work 6 months out of the year. I work 12 or more hours shifts for 4 to 5 days and then i am off 4 to 5 days. I luv my days off mon-fri. BUt now i am stuck with a house payment it's a brand new house. I love my days off. But my dream job is to become a librarian. If you had the option of going to wal-mart and struggle with bills or would you stick to the state job and suck it up?
Totally would stick with the state job. You work for six months a year, that's it? You work 12 hour shifts for 5 days and then get 5 days off? SWEET! Does it pay well enough to keep you afloat and have a little cushion?

Wal Mart isn't going to pay you a whole lot even if you stay on for a few years.

Just suck it up with the state job. Get your school, (while you have every other week off! Blessings!), and then start looking around for something else. It's going to look a whole lot better on your resume that you had x plus years at a state job while going to school than it is to have 6 years at a state job and then x years at Wally World.

Why on earth would you trade in a state job for Wally World?!!?!?

Old 08-14-2012, 08:51 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,925 times
The only reason to work for Wal-Mart is that it's probably more relaxing. Even then, dumb coworkers and annoying customers? Yeah, count me out.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:52 AM

24 posts, read 55,996 times
Have you tried applying to another position in the state?
It's very easy to get a new job internally!!

Old 08-15-2012, 09:59 AM

994 posts, read 1,593,034 times
Well, not to be a troll but I can't tell the difference between Walmart and Big.Gov. Can I take both?

Old 08-15-2012, 10:16 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,202,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffirejuiliet View Post
OP, I honestly think you are better off staying employed with the state. Since you work six months out of a year, you could go to school online during your time off. I wouldn’t recommend quitting your current job. The economy is unstable. These days there are many college graduates with little career prospects.
This.

OP is one of the very few who want to further education and have a job with significant blocks of time off that allows them to do it. Take advantage of this.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:25 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
Full time at Wally-World won't pay you a living wage. Or even make your house payment.

Keep what you have. And BTW, librarian jobs are difficult to get and the competition is brutal. And the number of jobs is declining. It is definitely NOT a growth field. Go to school if you want to go to school. But don't expect a degree in Library Science to buy you much. Especially if it's only a bachelor's of some kind. Most require at least a master's.

I have 2 relatives who are librarians and it took one of them almost 15 years to get a job in the field. Both of them say there's no way they would tell their kids to become librarians. There aren't enough jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment