Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 11:15 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,048,419 times

Advertisements

they can only offer $11.00 an hour. I didn't say YES or NO but said I would think about it because I don't want to mess up things this agency. But this doesn't sound like too bad of an offer if I just exhausted my 6 months of UC. But since I have about 3 more months until it runs out I don't think it's necessary to jump at a job paying that amount. Yes I know with unemployment I'm making $8.50 an hour but I don't have to worry about the expenses below

Lunch Money
Cleaners
Transportation

So I will just wait a while before I agree to accept that type of pay. And before anyone attacks me if I was on my 7th month of unemployment i would accept the job without hesitation.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:49 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,502,666 times
You are a fool if you don't take it.TAKE IT. Why don't you ask if they can go to $12.00/hr. They probably will meet in the middle at 11.50/hr. Then you will have more money to cover the transportation.

About the lunch. You have to eat lunch anyway...so it really should not be much more of an expense.

BESIDES...YOU CAN KEEP LOOKING AND GET A BETTER JOB SOON BECAUSE YOU WILL BE EMPLOYED and as you know, employers like to see that.

You said it doesn't seem like too bad of an offer. TAKE IT. TAKE IT. If you said it was an awful offer, then that would be another issue. But you said it is not a bad offer. TAKE IT.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:55 AM

878 posts, read 1,654,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
So I will just wait a while before I agree to accept that type of pay. And before anyone attacks me if I was on my 7th month of unemployment i would accept the job without hesitation.
If you turn it down please let us know what happens in another 3 months if you don't have a better offer on the table.

Not that I blame you for wanting to hold out a bit, I would probably do the same thing IF I was confident enough that I could land something better down the road. At the same time, paranoia about unemployment running out would also affect my decision.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You are a fool if you don't take it.TAKE IT. Why don't you ask if they can go to $12.00/hr. They probably will meet in the middle at 11.50/hr. Then you will have more money to cover the transportation.

About the lunch. You have to eat lunch anyway...so it really should not be much more of an expense.

BESIDES...YOU CAN KEEP LOOKING AND GET A BETTER JOB SOON BECAUSE YOU WILL BE EMPLOYED and as you know, employers like to see that.

You said it doesn't seem like too bad of an offer. TAKE IT. TAKE IT. If you said it was an awful offer, then that would be another issue. But you said it is not a bad offer. TAKE IT.
It's not a bad offer if

1. The position was at a company I been trying to get in for years that was similar to my last job

2. If I was beyond 6 months of unemployment

But I will email her in a few minutes to ask for more information on the position and where the job is located which would allow me to confirm whether or not it's a decision that makes sense.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:57 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,201,093 times
Have you considered benefits and factored those in?

Old 03-01-2012, 11:59 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,386,731 times
I say don't take it.

Allow someone else to grab it that will actually appreciate it.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
If you turn it down please let us know what happens in another 3 months if you don't have a better offer on the table.

Not that I blame you for wanting to hold out a bit, I would probably do the same thing IF I was confident enough that I could land something better down the road. At the same time, paranoia about unemployment running out would also affect my decision.
I definitely understand that but when it comes to $11.00 an hour, certain things have to appeal to me about the job to make me accept it. I just emailed her asking where the job is located and more information on the position. It's only about 2 locations I will travel to for $11.00 an hour since it will make my resume dated.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Have you considered benefits and factored those in?
There are no benefits with a temp job

Old 03-01-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I say don't take it.

Allow someone else to grab it that will actually appreciate it.
It looks like I'm the only qualified for the job of all the applicants registered with their agency which is why she called this morning and told me to call her back after I think it over.

BTW: I was half sleep when I spoke to her so I was not that alert so once I get more information I can make a decision.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:13 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,981,706 times
I suspect if you turn it down, this agency will write you off. Especially if they are missing out on billable hours until they fill it. Agencies do not take kindly to losses of potential revenue.

The big benefit to working is it stops using up valuable,remaining weeks of unemployment. You still have the same potential 63 weeks, without reducing the quantity left by one every week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment