Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 11:44 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
There is no way I'm going to believe that a person can't dig around to find a volunteer opportunity. Just no way. Maybe it's won't be glamorous, but they are out there.
Then you would be wrong. I applied to volunteer at what I:

a) had interest in
b) had the skills to do
c) that would help me in my future for work I like/wanted to do

You know, all those things you all have been telling us to do this entire thread.

Just because you can't believe it doesn't mean it's not true.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:46 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I never said it was. You clearly didn't read my post.

Again, how would you know what you're buying if you didn't actually read my post. I never denied women who work and have children volunteer at greater rates than women with children who don't have to work. "Work" can mean anything from writing novels in their homes to working 10-20 hours as a cashier at a neighborhood store. That's different from the mother who works full time and is the only person in the home who brings in enough income.
What difference does it make when these people are volunteering anyway and how does it relate to the unemployed on this forum, who largely appear to be single men? I don't get it.

Quote:
You're entitled to think that way. I have no reason to lie to strangers over the internet.
I didn't say you were lying. I said I don't think you really know much about volunteering and that you're making assumptions. We have an AIDS walk and 5k run in my area. It's always on a Sunday morning. Seniors, parents, kids, etc join in and participate in the event. Some raise money at work and do the walk or run. Some just walk for support. Some work the water stands or as crossing guards. That's one event, once a year. Some people only do that. Some do few similar through out the year. Some do weekly work. Some invest for semesters/1 yr (literacy programs) and others invest years (big sister/big brother). If you knew what you were talking about you would know that and understand your excuses of why people don't to be nonsensical. Again, to be clear, I'm not advocating that anyone should, but the primary reason people don't do it is because they don't want to. That's ok.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:50 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Then you would be wrong. I applied to volunteer at what I:

a) had interest in
b) had the skills to do
c) that would help me in my future for work I like/wanted to do

You know, all those things you all have been telling us to do this entire thread.

Just because you can't believe it doesn't mean it's not true.
OK, so now you are qualifying it. That's a different story.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:52 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
What remains interesting is that the OP started a thread based on his personal opinion that volunteering makes no sense when one is unemployed because it will "take away from job seeking and cost money to travel". And yet he provides a link to an article which demonstrates completely the opposite.

Many posters have responded with stories about how either as employers or employees, volunteerism has made a difference (I didn't even get to mine yet from both sides of the fence!) and now we're off on a blind sidetrack because one rather angry poster decided to throw down the gauntlet and challenge everyone who volunteered (pun intended) their personal experiences and is crying foul.

As poster kibbiekat said, "Ya know what... forget it. Don't volunteer. If it isn't in your heart to do it, then don't do it. I didn't volunteer so that it would help me get a job. I did it because it was the right thing to do. It gave me something to do, it made my kids happy to see me at the school, and it set a good example for them. In some cases it was a social outlet for me. I don't know if it had much, if anything to do with getting hired, but it did provide a resume filler for the 5 years I wasn't employed. It also provided people I could use as references. If you don't think it would be worthwhile, don't do it. That's one more thing someone else will have on their resume that you won't. May the best candidate win."

Checkmate.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:54 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
OK, so now you are qualifying it. That's a different story.
You're going to have to excuse me while I sit here confused. Should we NOT be picking specific volunteer activities based on our skills, future use and interest? Isn't that a given? I'm not going to just volunteer for any old thing, I'm going to volunteer for the reasons I stated above.

What good would it do me to sign up for the Peace Corps if I have no medical degree? OF COURSE you have to choose who you are going to ask to volunteer for.

As for soup kitchens and the like, almost every single time, they have had way too many volunteers. Instead of acting like it's a negative, that should be looked at as a positive...that so many would want to volunteer to help people.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:01 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
You're going to have to excuse me while I sit here confused. Should we NOT be picking specific volunteer activities based on our skills, future use and interest? Isn't that a given? I'm not going to just volunteer for any old thing, I'm going to volunteer for the reasons I stated above.
And there are often opportunities with very small, unknown, grassroots organizations, you just have to dig harder to find them. Many just call United Way or their local library and then say, well, nothing for me.

Quote:
What good would it do me to sign up for the Peace Corps if I have no medical degree? OF COURSE you have to choose who you are going to ask to volunteer for.
I know three people who did Peace Corp stints, NONE of them had medical degrees.

Quote:
As for soup kitchens and the like, almost every single time, they have had way too many volunteers. Instead of acting like it's a negative, that should be looked at as a positive...that so many would want to volunteer to help people.
I agree. But another example, there's a small start-up church in my town that is trying to put together a drop-in program for teens in the evenings and weekends. They are looking for adults to mentor. I found out about it only because of a random conversation I had with someone in the grocery store line. Like I said, there are often opportunities, you just have to dig for them.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:10 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
quote: Odd, I found my current job online. And at work, I am in charge of updating, reviewing, and interviewing applicants we get through CareerBuilder.

I had no idea that no one could apply online and find a job.

Of course you can find job listings online. Of course many jobs require an online application to be filled out. The point I was trying to make is that most people don't get jobs by just filling out the online application. Face to face, networking, and informational interviewing is much more effective.
I will let my boss know that I did not apply in an effective way.

I am so annoyed by people who tell tohers "how to do things" when they know nothing about the particular industries, norms, etc.

Hopefully the people in industries that DO hire through the online stuff will realize that they are a value. Because the bottom line, you speak from your experience only and really can't say whether or not they work for others.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:11 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
All of the BLS article showed the statistical breakdown of those who DO volunteer.

What does that have to do with the volunteering suggestion relative to the situation in the job market?
It's not just relative to the job market. That's one aspect, but it shows that employed people volunteer at greater rates than the unemployed which snuffs your time argument. It also snuffs the money argument since women volunteer more than men and men typically earn more than women. In short, at the end of the day it shows that excuses are just that, excuses.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:19 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Check with your state before you volunteer
I don't know about other states but you have to be careful in NYS about what kind of organization you volunteer at.

"Q: What if I do volunteer work?

A: In certain instances, you may collect unemployment benefits while you do volunteer work. You must meet all of these conditions: The volunteer work is for a charitable, religious or cultural organization AND

You do not receive payment in any form for your volunteer work

(Example: if you "volunteer" at a school in exchange for tuition abatement or scholarship, we do not consider this true volunteer work. This work would affect your eligibility for unemployment benefits.)

AND

The volunteer work is not a precondition to being hired or rehired into a paid position

(Example: if you volunteer while on a lay-off from a social services agency that is between budgets or grants, we do not consider this true volunteer work. This work would affect your eligibility for unemployment benefits.) "

There is more from the same link

After You've Applied For Unemployment - New York State Department of Labor

Glad I kept this quiet years ago. I was laid in 2006 and decided to go to work for free from July to October but only 15 hours a week until they received the new funding and then I was rehired.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:32 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:

I agree, now I will say no volunteer work is a waste of time but people still have a choice as to what type of volunteer work they prefer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment