Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 06:21 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,411,513 times

Advertisements

I know how you feel. Here's what helps me w/ stress:
1. Exercise - walking, gym and dancing.
2. Taking lunch - I get away from the crowd for my lunch. I need to.
3. Sleep - Extra sleep seems to help me manage stress better.
4. F/U fund - Save money and try not to care about material possessions. If you lose the job or quit...so f**&ng what?
5. Complaining - Telling ppl how stressed I am appears to cause them to be nicer to me. Who knew? Share those feelings.
6. Hot Cocoa. I drink the expensive sugar-free sh*(.
7. Seeing the doctor. Reminds me how lucky I am to have insurance, and my Dr helps me to reduce stress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 07:16 AM

531 posts, read 2,899,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I am surprised. Have you spoken with your doctor? Your stress level, regardless of the cause, sounds extremely unhealthy.
Yes, we are going to try something new. I even went from 10mg to 20mg and things didn't improve.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:18 AM

531 posts, read 2,899,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
Some of this is easier said than done..

-Prepare for the worst. Make sure your resume is up to date. Put up a resume on monster.com. Set up searches on monster that send you a weekly email with jobs that fit your criteria. Make sure you have printed any reviews or compliments you have received and take them home.
-Force your self to not spend time think about the "what ifs". There are plenty of things that are happening in our lives we can keep our minds occupied with. We don't need to spend time worrying about things that may never happen.
-Try to comfort yourself with the thought that you have prepared as best you can for what might come your way and you have the ability and strength to overcome whatever does come your way.

Most of this kind of fits into the serenity prayer. I am not religious but I try to live by this

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

This allows me to picture myself as a master of my circumstances and not like a leaf floating on a river flowing where ever life takes me
I'm doing most of this. One of the things that gives me the biggest lift is when I see a job posted that I am qualified for that looks like a good match. It's a rush and I have been applying for them but nothing has come through yet. But usually for a day or so after this I find that I am doing much better.

I do struggle letting go of the what ifs.

The serenity prayer is a life saver, it amazes me how often I forget it, even though I am in the program.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:32 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,226,009 times
I have been in your situation in terms of bad bosses and on the job stress.

Start visusalizing yourself happy and out of your current position. Once you start "visualizing" yourself happy and in a more positive environment, you will unconsciously start taking the physical and realistic steps to make it happen.

I am praying that things will change for you very soon.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:32 AM

984 posts, read 2,713,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post

I do struggle letting go of the what ifs.

The serenity prayer is a life saver, it amazes me how often I forget it, even though I am in the program.
I would not feel bad about struggling with the what ifs. It's the hardest part of "easier said then done".

You can print the prayer up and put it up a few places to reinforce it every day.
For the what ifs... just keep telling yourself that you've done all you can to be prepared and you will overcome whatever comes your way.

You can also try a conditioning technique.
Spend no time on chastising yourself for struggling with the what ifs...
Every time you realize you are stressing about a what if, take a deep breath and recite the serenity prayer to yourself. ..
Over time you may find you catch is faster and do it less often.

and follow all the other great tips about exercise, sleep and visualizing. You can even incorporate the visualizing bit into the condition technique..

Old 10-03-2012, 11:43 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,216,042 times
I am going to go out on a limb here and say that many things beyond work probably cause you stress. Maybe some warranted, but others caused within your own head.

1) Seek out some therapy for this
2) Start exercising!!!!!!!!
3) Get more sun/take some vitamins
4) Eat healthier
5) Get more sleep

Old 10-03-2012, 12:02 PM

830 posts, read 1,730,120 times
I work in healthcare and I can say that your situation is not unique in anyway. Most people spend a majority of their waking hours at work, so I end up with people (patients) in my office who are in tears about their job stresses on a regular basis. Work with your doctor about the meds (perhaps changing it) and find out if it is ok for you to start exercising. The meds may just be a band-aid on the situation and to help you get through a little more time there while you are trying to change the work situation. Consider seeing a therapist as well since it can help to talk to someone who is neutral (rather than your family members-- since your decisions will directly impact them, it can be hard for them to be neutral). Keep looking for another job, that's probably the best long-term solution you have.

Last edited by 55degrees; 10-03-2012 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: to clarify that the stressed out people are our patients

Old 10-03-2012, 12:11 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times
I know exactly how you feel. I'm a healthcare worker and was treated like the unwanted step child for years at a hell hole hospital. I wound up in ER during my shift on the verge of a stress related heart attack in my 30's. I finally escaped after 13 years of hell to an ideal job. I actually loved going to work for a couple of years and then I saw the same changes I experienced at the other job. I left that job after 8 years and the last 3 were hell. I'm currently working at a small hospital with a reasonable work load but now having to deal with totally crazy family members and idiotic managers. I'm seeing changes there and with the Medicare cuts I can see the writing on the wall. Working in healthcare sucks for me and I'm glad to be in the final stages of my career. I have to work 6 more years buy honestly I don't think I'll make it that long.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:44 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,702,949 times
I don't understand why some people don't get what stress is all about. Stress is a normal function of working in the United States, extreme to minor, it doesn't matter. You just learn how to deal with it your own way. Getting depressed and sad about it won't fix the problem with you coping with it. Learn to live and love stress.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:57 PM

763 posts, read 2,605,550 times
I have been in your shoes. I landed a job in 2008 that I had been trying to get for years. The first four or five months were wonderful. Then the company moved it's headquarters to a new multi-million $$$ campus and consolidated all of the satellite offices under one roof. From that point on, the atmosphere became toxic. So much so that the truth about issues regarding jobs, and the future of your own job were never forthright. Lies were told to employees about their future with the company. Covert meetings between managers were held where the employees' futures with the company were decided without the employees' even knowing their job was in jeopardy. Mine included. I couldn't get a straight answer from anyone. The stress from worrying day after day about my job caused my blood pressure to skyrocket to dangerous levels and I basically had a nervous breakdown from it. My doctor wanted me to take time off. So, I exhausted all of my PTO and was into unexcused absences. My doctor faxed (twice) a statement to the HR department telling them that I was still under his care and my absences were to be considered FMLA from the first day after my PTO ended. However, the HR department called to tell me that they were terminating my employment because of unexcused absences/absenteeism and claimed they never received the faxes from my doctor. Bottom line -- don't assume the HR department will "do the right thing" because they won't. Regardless of your time with the company -- 1 year to 20 years, if they want you gone, you're gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment