Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 01:23 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
I don't understand why some people don't get what stress is all about. Stress is a normal function of working in the United States, extreme to minor, it doesn't matter. You just learn how to deal with it your own way. Getting depressed and sad about it won't fix the problem with you coping with it. Learn to live and love stress.
I don't get why people don't understand everyone deals with stress differently. While some people can cope in their life with an extreme amount of stress, others can't and need help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 01:32 PM

830 posts, read 1,729,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I don't get why people don't understand everyone deals with stress differently. While some people can cope in their life with an extreme amount of stress, others can't and need help.
No kidding! There are people all over this world living in war zones and coping with levels of stress that I know I wouldn't be able to. We all have different thresholds. One level of stress could be invigorating for one person but cause depression and anxiety in another.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:42 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
No kidding! There are people all over this world living in war zones and coping with levels of stress that I know I wouldn't be able to. We all have different thresholds. One level of stress could be invigorating for one person but cause depression and anxiety in another.
Next time someone from management comes up and approaches you and you freak out. Let me know if you still have your job. lulz

Old 10-03-2012, 03:28 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,901,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Lexapro
i would be super careful. when i was on it, i gained a ridiculous amount of weight. another relative who got in it a few years after i had gotten off, had the same problem.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:57 PM

763 posts, read 2,605,192 times
Quote:
Next time someone from management comes up and approaches you and you freak out. Let me know if you still have your job. lulz
I don't think anyone said anything about freaking out in front of your manager. It's how the stress affects you at home or at work when the manager isn't around. In my case, I kept my cool and asked very respectfully if there was something going on with my job and was told "no", which I found out later was a lie and actually, I knew it all along. THAT's the kind of stress I dealt with which eventually led to my health problems. Sure, if someone goes off on their manager and becomes combative or argumentative, yes, they would definitely lose their job on the spot.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:13 PM

317 posts, read 576,573 times
i drink to handle the stress at work

Old 10-03-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OIF VET View Post
i drink to handle the stress at work
As do many!!! LOL!

Old 10-04-2012, 08:48 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
I have been in your shoes. I landed a job in 2008 that I had been trying to get for years. The first four or five months were wonderful. Then the company moved it's headquarters to a new multi-million $$$ campus and consolidated all of the satellite offices under one roof. From that point on, the atmosphere became toxic. So much so that the truth about issues regarding jobs, and the future of your own job were never forthright. Lies were told to employees about their future with the company. Covert meetings between managers were held where the employees' futures with the company were decided without the employees' even knowing their job was in jeopardy. Mine included. I couldn't get a straight answer from anyone. The stress from worrying day after day about my job caused my blood pressure to skyrocket to dangerous levels and I basically had a nervous breakdown from it. My doctor wanted me to take time off. So, I exhausted all of my PTO and was into unexcused absences. My doctor faxed (twice) a statement to the HR department telling them that I was still under his care and my absences were to be considered FMLA from the first day after my PTO ended. However, the HR department called to tell me that they were terminating my employment because of unexcused absences/absenteeism and claimed they never received the faxes from my doctor. Bottom line -- don't assume the HR department will "do the right thing" because they won't. Regardless of your time with the company -- 1 year to 20 years, if they want you gone, you're gone.
Have you thought about retaining an attorney? You may be entitled to back wages and your job back. It sounds like what your employer did was illegal.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:02 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Quote:
I don't understand why some people don't get what stress is all about. Stress is a normal function of working in the United States, extreme to minor, it doesn't matter. You just learn how to deal with it your own way. Getting depressed and sad about it won't fix the problem with you coping with it. Learn to live and love stress.
Love stress I wish I could take you to work with me. It's ever so much fun holding your urine for an hour as you run from one crisis to the next. A half hour lunch break? Don't make me laugh. You learn to eat really fast and if you're lucky you finish before someone interrupts you. Team work? Really? Everyone else is stretched to the limit and they can't help you. I worried about losing my license at my last job, that's how dangerous the work load was. I'm off for another 3 weeks with a broken ankle and I can't believe how good I feel right now. I've had to literally deal with life and death situations for over 20 years now and I can't wait for it to be over. There's character building stress and there's relentless in your face high octane STRESS. That's the stress that kills. How can that be good

Old 10-04-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Have you thought about retaining an attorney? You may be entitled to back wages and your job back. It sounds like what your employer did was illegal.
I spoke with a friend who is an attorney, about it. He told me that even if I succeeded in getting back pay and my job back, it would probably only be temporary because then the company would have been forced to rehire me and from that point forward, they would have made my work life miserable. So, I had to ask myself, "Do I really want to go through that again?" The answer was a resounding, "No!"

Also, since the separation notice they mailed to me had excessive absenteeism on it for reason for termination, the unemployment office viewed that as misconduct and they denied my unemployment. I had to appeal it (with the help of my doctor) and won the appeal and got the unemployment from them.

HR departments can be very cutthroat, when necessary. As much as people like to think the HR staff is their friend, 9 times out of 10, they are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment