Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 09:19 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
Dear, I can't speak for other people's reality.
The problem is, in your initial post, you stated definitively that the OP couldn't have possibly been laid off if they didn't receive a severance package, which is not true.

Thus, your perspective of reality is skewed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 09:21 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Again my logic isn't faulty. Like I said in a previous post in order to know the reason why he was let go you have to look at other things. What else was said in the conversation? What types of assistance if any did the company offer him? Was he explicitly told the reason? Those things are more important than a phrase.

Check your own logic because it is lacking.
You don't seem to grasp what I am saying. I am not debating if he was fired or laid off. You seem to be dodging what I am saying and that is your statement "If he were laid off he would have gotten a severance package" is quite clearly absurd. He MAY have gotten a severance package or he may not if he was laid off. Your statement implies EVERYONE that is laid off gets a severance package.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:25 PM

380 posts, read 1,156,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
The problem is, in your initial post, you stated definitively that the OP couldn't have possibly been laid off if they didn't receive a severance package, which is not true.

Thus, your perspective of reality is skewed.
Your perspective is skewed because you are so focused on the one phrase. You need to understand that saying I have to let you go means nothing other than you are being terminated.

Again, one must look to other things for the reason. Severance would indicate a layoff just like telling someone that due to budget cuts I have to let you go would indicate a layoff as well.

It still sounds to me like this guy was fired unless he worked in a really small company that couldn't afford to pay him anymore and they assumed he would understand that.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You don't seem to grasp what I am saying. I am not debating if he was fired or laid off. You seem to be dodging what I am saying and that is your statement "If he were laid off he would have gotten a severance package" is quite clearly absurd. He MAY have gotten a severance package or he may not if he was laid off. Your statement implies EVERYONE that is laid off gets a severance package.
Oh, I grasp the fact that you bitter people are jealous because some folks got severance and you all didn't.

Otherwise, there is no reason to make a federal case out of my post. Calling my logic faulty, saying my reality is skewed and other insults is indicative of your bitterness and insecurity. My one post has nothing to do with you offering assistance to the OP.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:31 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Your perspective is skewed because you are so focused on the one phrase. You need to understand that saying I have to let you go means nothing other than you are being terminated.

Again, one must look to other things for the reason. Severance would indicate a layoff just like telling someone that due to budget cuts I have to let you go would indicate a layoff as well.

It still sounds to me like this guy was fired unless he worked in a really small company that couldn't afford to pay him anymore and they assumed he would understand that.
As many of us have already concluded, we really don't know if the OP's friend was laid off or fired/terminated. "I have to let you go" can mean both, but we don't definitively know which one without more details.

Letting someone go could mean you can no longer afford them and you're laying them off. It can also mean that you're not satisfied with their work performance and you're firing them.

However, not everyone who's laid off gets a severance, which you fail to understand.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
As many of us have already concluded, we really don't know if the OP's friend was laid off or fired/terminated. "I have to let you go" can mean both, but we don't definitively know which one without more details.

Letting someone go could mean you can no longer afford them and you're laying them off. It can also mean that you're not satisfied with their work performance and you're firing them.

However, not everyone who's laid off gets a severance, which you fail to understand.
Oh, I totally understand it. What puzzles me is the insults and attacks. Wouldn't it have been simpler to say not everyone gets severance. Instead, I got attacked and insulted. But, that's par for the course on this board. I can defend myself so it's whatever.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:50 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Oh, I grasp the fact that you bitter people are jealous because some folks got severance and you all didn't.

Otherwise, there is no reason to make a federal case out of my post. Calling my logic faulty, saying my reality is skewed and other insults is indicative of your bitterness and insecurity. My one post has nothing to do with you offering assistance to the OP.
You should be a goalie with how well you deflect things. Of course it must be that people are bitter and jealous. It can't possibly be because you were just wrong.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:52 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
I must be a unicorn because I got a severance package when I was laid off. LULZ, at you!
Those of us who went to college understand that you are utilizing induction to draw a conclusion. This is possibly why you won't understand why others might call for fault in your logic.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:54 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
Wow. This is one heck of a thread for an answer that, in all honesty, is: "without more info, hard to say for sure"

Old 10-03-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You should be a goalie with how well you deflect things. Of course it must be that people are bitter and jealous. It can't possibly be because you were just wrong.
Deflecting? Not at all. People were rude to me even after I explained my initial post. I was insulted and attacked. I make a conscious effort to try and stay on topic and be as respectful as possible to other posters. I don't appreciate the name calling and insults. Sorry, but you don't get the luxury of folks agreeing with you or seeing your point of view when you are rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment