Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 03:18 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,440,778 times

Advertisements

...the stress is just getting to be ridiculous and unmanageable. On top of it, management is completely oblivious. First off, they manage our office remotely. At times, it is nearly impossible to get a hold of them, thus we feel isolated out here. I am losing my mind. My body has physically deteriorated over the last year. I am getting sick. My blood pressure is shooting up. This is not normal for a typically healthy 20-something. I'm not the person I used to be a year ago. I used to be happy and active, now I'm miserable and depressed and anxious.

Essentially, the workload is unmanageable and unreasonable. The expectation is that we resolve EVERY issue that comes in for the 11 different account managers' accounts that I oversee. I'm completing my work, but I'm losing my mind doing it. It's rush, rush, rush on a thousand different tasks!

I was on the phone with my father this morning and nearly broke down crying. To see what I have diminished to in the last year is extremely sad and frustrating for me. I feel like this company is sucking away my life and I don't know what to do about it. If I quit, I lose my income and disqualify myself from U/E according to my understanding. If I stay, who knows what other aspects of my health start diminishing. I have been applying for jobs, but no such luck yet. I don't think I can hold out until another job comes along.

This is the most lonely, scared, and anxious I have ever been in my life. I don't know what to do. My father says quit and come home. Fine, but I have student loans and a car payment. I could probably sell off the car, but I still have student loan payments. I could probably manage them temporarily on a low paying gig, but I need to get one first.

What do you guy suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 03:40 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
Care less.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Care less.
Thanks, I know this is a good point. I have a very difficult time with this concept though. I end up finding things to worry about even before it's reached the point that I need to worry. It's how I am, very OCD so to speak (without the official diagnosis).

What is strange is that I have never felt this way in any other job I've had. I think it's the management style here that has helped to change this. They put a lot of downward pressure on us (it's a sales environment; I hear this is typical in sales), where as in previous jobs, my managers were typically a lot more lax (non-sales environments).

Old 10-09-2012, 03:52 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,905,974 times
I suggest you stay on the job while you (secretly) search for another.
I think it's a bad idea to leave your job before acquiring another one, in this economy.
Keep your hopes up by remembering that you shouldn't have to be there too long, and there will be an exit in the form of another job (hopefully soon!).
This is a good learning opportunity, and you will emerge from it stronger and more professional. Sure, it would be easier to run to your parents, but the easiest route is not always the most prudent.
Best of luck to you.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:53 PM

810 posts, read 1,763,654 times
Default A

Sales can be a very high pressure high stress enviroment. I think you may be able to defer student loans for a bit you may want to contact your lender.
With the job market being so tough you may want to try to get another job before you quit.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
I suggest you stay on the job while you (secretly) search for another.
I think it's a bad idea to leave your job before acquiring another one, in this economy.
Keep your hopes up by remembering that you shouldn't have to be there too long, and there will be an exit in the form of another job (hopefully soon!).
This is a good learning opportunity, and you will emerge from it stronger and more professional. Sure, it would be easier to run to your parents, but the easiest route is not always the most prudent.
Best of luck to you.
You're right. I definitely do not want to run to my parents. I just want to get out of this job.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
Sales can be a very high pressure high stress enviroment. I think you may be able to defer student loans for a bit you may want to contact your lender.
With the job market being so tough you may want to try to get another job before you quit.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Indeed. Especially when you're sales support and the sales team is hammering away at you every day with "very special" requests that need immediate attention. Then you have accounting barking up your tree asking for explanations for this and that. Then mgmt asking for reports to be filled out. It's maddening.

I have been hitting the gym more, but my body is still weak. My muscles are tensed up. I've had to see a physical therapist for acupuncture procedures in the past several months. I want to get away from all of that and just be naturally healthy as I was about a year ago.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:03 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,709,660 times
This may not come as consolation to you, but alot of people are in your position; feeling overworked, underpaid, underappreicated, and with no end in sight. Its an employers market, and many know they can treat people as badly and pay them as little as they can get away with, knowing that if you quit there's someone who would be willing to take your place the next day. Its a sickening feeling.

In the short-term, if you don't already I'd suggest taking up hobbies, gymwork, reading, walks in the park, anything that you can look forward to on a daily/weekly basis. You have got to break the monotony somehow, by any means.

In terms of directly dealing with the job, perhaps schedule a meeting with HR to air out your concerns, that you're overwhelmed by the workload and discuss possible alternatives to current procedures that keeps you productive, the results coming and you're not killing yourself to achieve your goals. Keep putting your resume out there, something will come eventually. It won't be when you want, but it will happen. Your immediate concern is to reduce stress, which is why I suggested the hobby/gym thing.

Above all, understand that these situations are temporary and there are millions of people in the boat with you. A harsh reality of life is that while some people work in fields that are suited to their skills and passions, most wind up in jobs that at best you learn to tolerate and at worst, absolutely despise.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:15 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,166,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Care less.
yes. its not the end of the world if you don't have time to complete everyone's extra-special request. you're not a brain surgeon- no one is going to die. whats the worst that could happen? they fire you for poor performance? then at least you'd have a better shot at UE. i agree you should hit the ground running as far as your job search, and at the same time stop worrying so much about doing things perfectly at your job now if it really is causing you this much stress.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:01 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,427,118 times
Understand and relate to how you feel. Find something else while you still have the job; it is way easier than if you are unemployed and searching. Search aggressively and now as if you don't have a job if you hate it that much. Spend as much time as you can in your off-time searching for another gig.

Leave your work troubles at the door when you go home / off the job and keep the job out of your mind as much as possible. It is hard to do this, but it is your best short-term approach.

Just guessing: you are probably taking the job too seriously and the management probably sees you and the others as expendable and in this current economic time, many of us are very replaceable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment