Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 08:41 AM

58 posts, read 242,294 times

Advertisements

I have been unemployed for 6 months (got laid off from my teaching job back in June). I have been applying endlessly for jobs since then (over 600 applications). I finally was offered a construction job out of state (through a friend of a friend). I was told that I was definitely hired and that he needed someone to replace another guy that was leaving. He said it would be full time work. Because I have no other options, I absolutely had to take the position. I need to pay my bills. I took a moving truck and moved 20 hours away for the job (I couldn't survive off unemployment).

When I finally got up here and called him like he said to do (this was less than a week later) he started acting like a total flake (totally different from when I first talked to him). He kept saying he didn't know if I was going to work out, that I can't put all my eggs in one basket, etc.) He finally agreed to let me come in for a test day about a week after I moved here. Everything went great when I went in. He said he was really impressed by my work and even gave me a worker of the day award. I have always been a great worker and I am willing to take any job to survive.

After working that day, he told me to call him the following Tuesday. I called him as instructed and he acted like a flake again -telling me he didn't know if I would work out, etc. etc. again. He told me he would call me the following night to give me an update. He never called. I gave him another week to see if he would call me - no response. I have left him 3 voice mails since then with no reply. I have signed an apartment lease in my new area and I am scared to death on not being able to pay for the rent. I don't have any family to help me out.

He told me I would be working every day and now he isn't even responding to my voice mails or calling me back. I really need work - I can't stand sitting at home all day applying for jobs when I moved out here for a job. This is so unfair - I am losing so much money every day. I don't want to be a bum, I want to work. Why would he do this to me? I am a hard working, quick learner. I am willing to work night, weekends, for less pay than everyone else. I don't care - I just want the job that I moved out here for. He knows I signed an apartment lease too. Why is he screwing me over? Is there anything I can do? I would appreciate any suggestions as I am at my wits end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 08:56 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,490,405 times
Too many variables here. What is your education level? What area of the country are you in?

Old 11-12-2012, 09:22 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
He might have lost a contract and doesn't need to hire. The construction business is not very steady, especially with winter coming up. It doesn't matter how good you are, if he only has enough money to make the current payroll. Just as you lost your job suddenly, a business owner can lose his source of income suddenly. A business owner isn't immune to the same problems.

Move on. Now you can start looking for jobs at your new city.

If you want to go back into teaching, Dallas is looking for new teachers. After they extended the workday by 45 minutes, teachers started quitting and retiring.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/educa...-vacancies.ece

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/educa...45-minutes.ece

Old 11-12-2012, 09:27 AM

I am in Massachusetts and I have a Master's in Education and Sports Management. There are no teaching jobs here. I have applied for anything and everything in both MA & RI and have even contacted principals, with no response.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
He might have lost a contract and doesn't need to hire. The construction business is not very steady, especially with winter coming up. It doesn't matter how good you are, if he only has enough money to make the current payroll. Just as you lost your job suddenly, a business owner can lose his source of income suddenly. A business owner isn't immune to the same problems.

If you want to go back into teaching, Dallas is looking for new teachers. After they extended the workday by 45 minutes, teachers started quitting and retiring.

Dallas ISD plans recruitment effort to fill teacher vacancies | Dallas-Fort Worth Education News - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Dallas schools
I wish I could go back to teaching, but I can't find a position. Plus, I could never afford another move all the way out to Texas. I just spent over 3000 on this move. Unfortunately, teaching jobs never pay for relocation.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:34 AM

How about moving back with mom and dad to survive as you on your job search? 600 resumes? Seriously. That's horrible. It should be targeted and changed for each job position. If you are sending the same resume to every position, then you are going for volume over quality.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:

Move on. Now you can start looking for jobs at your new city.

Dallas ISD plans recruitment effort to fill teacher vacancies | Dallas-Fort Worth Education News - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Dallas schools
I would be fine if he lost a contract, but he should have had the decency to call me and let me know what is going on. Also, he said that there would be winter work. He originally told me that there was so much work to do that he is turning jobs down. He said there would always be work. I didn't move somewhere to search for jobs (I have been doing that for months). I moved here for a job. I would have never spent money to move up here and get an apartment if I would have known there would be no work. I just can't survive off of that. I would have had to find a friend to move in with and help me out until I made some money. All my savings are gone from my time in unemployment. There is no way for me to come up with my next month of rent.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
How about moving back with mom and dad to survive as you on your job search? 600 resumes? Seriously. That's horrible. It should be targeted and changed for each job position. If you are sending the same resume to every position, then you are going for volume over quality.
Can't do that I already signed a lease - plus they don't want me staying at their place as they don't have enough space. I have multiple different resumes for different jobs (also different addresses of friends that I use based on the location). I have multiple teaching certificates in different states as well. And I do a separate specific cover letter for each position.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:49 AM

You did a great job, but he didn't bring you back. Maybe the guy that was leaving ended up coming back. If business was great, he would be hiring more than 1 person. It doesn't sound like a very large company.

How about something else? Take some seasonal jobs, until you can find something better.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:10 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bears0909 View Post
He said it would be full time work.
Because I have no other options, I absolutely had to take the position. I need to pay my bills.
I took a moving truck and moved 20 hours away for the job (I couldn't survive off unemployment).
Never heard of a motel? Or a room to rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment