Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 04:14 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times

Advertisements

I notice a lot of people have been fired and have still gone forward in their life and in their careers. Anyone care to explain their stories about how they moved on after being fired? How long it took you to find a new job, and what you told future employers, or even if you took a job doing whatever for a while before jumping back into your career. I was fired from my last job, it was pretty shocking, but I'm still moving forward, I'd love to hear people's personal experiences and how they overcame it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 06:10 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,139,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I notice a lot of people have been fired and have still gone forward in their life and in their careers. Anyone care to explain their stories about how they moved on after being fired? How long it took you to find a new job, and what you told future employers, or even if you took a job doing whatever for a while before jumping back into your career. I was fired from my last job, it was pretty shocking, but I'm still moving forward, I'd love to hear people's personal experiences and how they overcame it.

Get a job doing anything, just keep the money coming in ASAP. Put it behind and get busy as soon as possible, don't fall into the trap of waiting months for something - you might be lucky and get something quickly, but who knows, your in a much better position working at something - say you quit for some time out at something less stressful.

I was on a building site for 5 months doing manual labor - crappy pay and hard work, but got in great shape and had good fun. Then out of the blue got a great job earning way more than previous job.

Then inwardly declare war your enemies and swear revenge, and improve your work performance, retrain and work harder than you ever have - never give in, never give up and fight hard every day.

Then hit back harder, the goal being to get a better job than before and performing better and not to get fired again.

Getting fired is just a wake up call for you - just how nasty and ruthless most workplaces really are below the surface.

Learn the lesson and come back better. Most of the best people have got fired at one time or another - to be honest many companies fire people for all sorts stupid reasons.

Its just a temporary cash flow problem. Many entrepreneurs, business people have failed and gone bankrupt - but are still out there starting other Businesses and not giving up, not worrying about past failures - You need the same mindset to be successful in the workplace.

Remember most people have problems, issues at work, perhaps thread closely to getting fired - but they won't advertise or tell you that - they will paint a picture of being successful when its not always reality.

Every workplace is a battlefield - prepare yourself mentally for the next one. Revenge is a great motivator for me - to live your life defying your enemies(evil coworkers/bosses/family members) to the end and being more successful than them is the best revenge.

Last edited by mikeyking; 11-16-2012 at 06:45 PM..

Old 11-16-2012, 08:37 PM

Thanks Mikey, that is what I'm doing, I have a job interview Monday working as a part time lab tech. I also have another interview after Thanksgiving (the Tuesday after) and then I have a friend who is going to put me in a training program if neither of these pan out.

One goal IS to get "revenge" by coming out on top of all this. I know things happen for a reason and I know in the end I'll be better off My husband has already found an amazing job, the best job he's EVER had, making more than he's ever made and with amazing benefits.

Unfortunately I found out more information about why I got fired, part of it has to do with a coworker who I thought was a friend. It's amazing what a person will do to you when you are down.

But thank you for the advice

Old 11-16-2012, 08:55 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,843 times
Quote:
Revenge is a great motivator for me - to live your life defying your enemies(evil coworkers/bosses/family members) to the end and being more successful than them is the best revenge.
I think it really bothers people who spend a lot of energy kicking people when they are down, getting off on their suffering, only to see the target of their attacks bounce back and become successful (i.e. proving them wrong). My parents, for example, made nonstop vicious comments about my college-grad friend who was having trouble finding a job for months. Well, he recently landed a job making $50k a year. I wonder why they don't have anything to say about that. I haven't heard them praise him, but they sure did put him down when he was unemployed.

Quote:
Unfortunately I found out more information about why I got fired, part of it has to do with a coworker who I thought was a friend. It's amazing what a person will do to you when you are down.
I made that mistake too at my first job out of college. Had a coworker who acted like she was my best friend, and I thought she was. Well, I later found out she had passed on some things I said up the ladder, and sure enough I was part of a layoff not too long after.

It's hard to do this if you are a kind, decent person, but never get too close to a coworker. None of your coworkers should be thought of as friends. Assume they are all backstabbers because you really don't know them, and there are many wolves in sheeps' clothing at work. Many of them are just sociopaths gaming their way up the ladder.

Want to make friends? Join a Bible study group or volunteer somewhere, or maybe reconnect with some old high school/college friends. Co-workers are not your friends.

Last edited by statisticsnerd; 11-16-2012 at 09:06 PM..

Old 11-16-2012, 10:41 PM

763 posts, read 2,605,192 times
Quote:
I lost the best job I've ever had in 2003 due to downsizing. BROKE my heart! It hurt so much that I couldn't even drive past the building without breaking down into tears. I had been out of the job market for 8 years when I lost that job, so I figured I'd take a month off, regroup and then start sending out resumes. I also figured I'd get another job fairly quickly considering the level of experience I had acquired by then. BOY, was I fooled!!! It took me from April 2003 until November 2003 to find a job and the one I found was a TEMP job in a small law office, which turned into permanent. Going that long without a job and being on interview after interview after interview with rejection after rejection after rejection was certainly a humbling experience. It really hit me at that point like a ton of bricks that the job market had CHANGED DRASTICALLY in the past 10 years. There was a time in the 80's and the 90's that all I had to do was mail a resume to a company posting an job opening in my field, and I'd receive a call for an interview within a week.

Considering that the holidays are right around the corner, I'm afraid that whatever happens for me job wise won't happen until January 2013 and that sucks. I don't even understand why companies post openings when they know they aren't going to fill them until after the first of the year. This doesn't include seasonal jobs.

All I can recommend is do NOT make friends (BFF type) with co-workers. Keep them co-workers and at a safe distance from your personal life. DO NOT confide in co-workers regarding anything...work issues, personal issues or family issues. When you least expect it, something you may have told someone in confidence could come back to bite you in the butt.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:59 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,139,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I think it really bothers people who spend a lot of energy kicking people when they are down, getting off on their suffering, only to see the target of their attacks bounce back and become successful (i.e. proving them wrong). My parents, for example, made nonstop vicious comments about my college-grad friend who was having trouble finding a job for months. Well, he recently landed a job making $50k a year. I wonder why they don't have anything to say about that. I haven't heard them praise him, but they sure did put him down when he was unemployed.

This is exactly the problem many of us work in hostile, mean unfriendly work environments - but your not expecting a picnic because your getting paid for it and tolerate sociopaths while your making money out them- There is a pay off your getting money and experience.

The problem is we often think that people we call friends and family etc are the ones we can trust and be ourselves,and that work is the enemy - when in fact there just the same as the guy in the cubicle next to you, just that you happen to be closer to them or related.

If you want a friend, get a dog. There is no real support anymore or society anymore , although most people disguise it well they are desperate to see you fail.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:17 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
After I was terminated from the law firm where I'd worked for ten years, I was devastated. I eventually took a chance, on a friend's recommendation, that I apply at my current job. It's been two years, and I LOVE it. It's not the legal field (I'm assistant cook in a jr./sr. high school cafeteria), but I enjoy my co-workers and the kids, I get great free food, I can wear comfortable shoes and scrubs (no more expense of being an office fashionista), and I get a week off at Christmas and Easter, the Friday and Monday after Thanksgiving, and the WHOLE SUMMER. No stress or deadlines (other than getting the hungry kids fed on time). No more "games" with my paychecks anymore either - I get paid twice a month, on time, and if the pay date falls on a weekend or vacation, we get our check dated the last date worked.

The best part? There was a custodial opening at the school due to a retirement, I had DH apply, and he got it!

Old 11-17-2012, 06:49 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,901,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post

None of your coworkers should be thought of as friends. Assume they are all backstabbers because you really don't know them, and there are many wolves in sheeps' clothing at work. Many of them are just sociopaths gaming their way up the ladder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post

All I can recommend is do NOT make friends (BFF type) with co-workers. Keep them co-workers and at a safe distance from your personal life. DO NOT confide in co-workers regarding anything...work issues, personal issues or family issues. When you least expect it, something you may have told someone in confidence could come back to bite you in the butt.

best advice ever.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:11 PM

Thanks all, I have moved on from my fiasco, I found a new job and I start Monday. It's with a small biotech company that's been around about 9 years. When asked what happened at my old job I just said "it wasn't a good fit" and the lady just nodded. I think by acting nonchalant she didn't feel the need to question. I also have applied for other jobs and have 2 companies who seem interested, but I'm not waiting around for anyone. At this point I'm happy just to be working and getting out of the house again

It's sad that you have to keep coworkers at a distance. I really am still shocked at what this girl did to me, but one day she'll get hers. Not from me, but someone else. Part of me wanted to send her a message and call her a coward, but that would just let her know I thought about her, and probably give her satisfaction.

Knowing I'm going to probably see her again one day, I am definitely going to tell her off if she has the audacity to come anywhere near me. I am very sure she doesn't think that I know her role in this.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:18 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,451 times
Quote:
Thanks all, I have moved on from my fiasco, I found a new job and I start Monday. It's with a small biotech company that's been around about 9 years. When asked what happened at my old job I just said "it wasn't a good fit" and the lady just nodded. I think by acting nonchalant she didn't feel the need to question. I also have applied for other jobs and have 2 companies who seem interested, but I'm not waiting around for anyone. At this point I'm happy just to be working and getting out of the house again

It's sad that you have to keep coworkers at a distance. I really am still shocked at what this girl did to me, but one day she'll get hers. Not from me, but someone else. Part of me wanted to send her a message and call her a coward, but that would just let her know I thought about her, and probably give her satisfaction.

Knowing I'm going to probably see her again one day, I am definitely going to tell her off if she has the audacity to come anywhere near me. I am very sure she doesn't think that I know her role in this.
This is an awesome update, thanks for sharing with this forum. Congrats to you for finding work really soon (from what I can guess). I was noticing the time frame of this thread and it was not that long ago when you initially posted.

Don't bother with some wrong-doing co-worker from your past. It is best to let go of the grudges, easier said than done although most of us would like to confront people who do us wrong, it is not always a wise thing to do. Moving on to a new chapter at a new place is way better anyway. I would like to think that I have learned from past mistakes at work, I think most of us all do over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment