Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 09:03 AM

343 posts, read 1,314,353 times

Advertisements

I joined as a part-time admin staff at the same univesity in which I am currently pursuing my master's degree. I wanted the extra money and a job in my field(computer science) will demand more time of me. My current priority is focussing on my education and graduating in time, so I thought a part-time job would be the best.

I started the job about a month ago and it has been crazy, well more than crazy. All my schedules have got messed up, I'm not able to focus on School and i'm throwing-up since yesterday. I went to check with a doctor and he said it is just a little stress or something I ate.

This job schedule is such that it leaves me with no time to have a proper meal/lunch. I get there at 11AM and walk out at 4 PM. Then I have my classes from 5 PM to 9 PM. I hate the people working there, they don't talk to me. I smiled, tried to talk a couple of times but they want to make me feel "part-time". Well, whatever. The supervisors are ok, some are nosy but still Idon't care. I have no friends there. The physical setting is also not comfortable - too many of them turn on heaters and there is no window for viewing. It is completely closed. The job is so boring, it is the same thing every minute. My whole body system is reacting differently. I used to enjoy running 5-6 miles every monrning and it has been 2 weeks that I have not gone running because I don't feel healthy physically. I'm always tired and I'm losing focus on my study. Well, I only have one more month to go woth my degree and then I'm all set to graduate. However, this one month is going to be crucial.

I'm hating my life so much right now, never happened with me.

Any thoughts/advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 09:24 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,139,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehs View Post
I joined as a part-time admin staff at the same univesity in which I am currently pursuing my master's degree. I wanted the extra money and a job in my field(computer science) will demand more time of me. My current priority is focussing on my education and graduating in time, so I thought a part-time job would be the best.

I started the job about a month ago and it has been crazy, well more than crazy. All my schedules have got messed up, I'm not able to focus on School and i'm throwing-up since yesterday. I went to check with a doctor and he said it is just a little stress or something I ate.

This job schedule is such that it leaves me with no time to have a proper meal/lunch. I get there at 11AM and walk out at 4 PM. Then I have my classes from 5 PM to 9 PM. I hate the people working there, they don't talk to me. I smiled, tried to talk a couple of times but they want to make me feel "part-time". Well, whatever. The supervisors are ok, some are nosy but still Idon't care. I have no friends there. The physical setting is also not comfortable - too many of them turn on heaters and there is no window for viewing. It is completely closed. The job is so boring, it is the same thing every minute. My whole body system is reacting differently. I used to enjoy running 5-6 miles every monrning and it has been 2 weeks that I have not gone running because I don't feel healthy physically. I'm always tired and I'm losing focus on my study. Well, I only have one more month to go woth my degree and then I'm all set to graduate. However, this one month is going to be crucial.

I'm hating my life so much right now, never happened with me.

Any thoughts/advice?
ok, you want to be in computer sciences and you are upset that you a) don't get time for a "proper" lunch, b) you workspace isn't physically comfortable, and c) you don't have a window??

All I can say is that you are likely in for a very, very miserable career. Most developers and programmers I know sit in large workrooms, everyone together, eating at their table. The focus is on completing the task/ project, not the lunch hour or looking out the windows.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:21 AM

763 posts, read 2,605,711 times
At a company where I used to work at about 10 years ago, HUGE insurance company, dozens of IT people.....they worked in 6x6 CUBICLES in the BASEMENT LEVEL of a four story glass encased wing. While others had wonderful views and sunlight, these poor saps were tolling away in cramped quarters with artificial light 24/7. Welcome to the computer science career!!

Old 11-21-2012, 10:56 AM

5,209 posts, read 4,675,356 times
Don't listen to the previous 2 posters. I highly doubt they have computer science careers. Ever heard of Google? If you're going to throw up extreme examples of how bad the work environment is for IT people, let's put up some extreme examples of great ones. Some companies don't treat their IT people very well. Guess what? These aren't IT companies so don't work for them. Which leads to my question to you. Your part time job sounds horrible for you. You only have 1 month left before you graduate. Why stay at this position?

Old 11-21-2012, 11:02 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,015,898 times
Remind yourself this is only temporary, and stop wallowing in self pity. GO FOR YOUR RUNS like you used to. Do all you can to stay healthy, and just do your work, only person who is important is your boss. So when they are around, smile and act like this is the best job EVER so you can get a good reference, and nothing more.

Not all jobs are going to be terrible, you keep looking (when you are done) for something better.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:33 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,372,934 times
Maybe you should quit?

Old 11-21-2012, 01:23 PM

343 posts, read 1,314,353 times
Spencgr – Well, I do not hate my line of career. Having worked 4 years in the field prior to starting my master’s program, I am well aware of the pros and cons. The thing is this office does not even allow eating at our desks, which is a huge stresser for me.

KABurke – I imagine we have all kinds of settings for any career, not just CS.

Adhom – Exactly – I know that there are workspaces like those you mention. I myself worked for a major bank(in CS) before starting the program. It was a nice environment, not ideal but manageable. Here the job is not even my major (which is ok, I knew that) but little did I know how everything wpuld affect me (co-workers, physical setting, no-lunch-at-desk policy and so on). Well, I have another semester of work(not classes but my master’s thesis related work). So I don’t think I will have the time for a full-time CS job until June next year.

Beera – I’m going into a continuous loop of self-pity and stress. This itself is not good for my emotional health. Reference was one major reason I started out this part-time job, so that it will help me transition into a full-time job sooner or later.

Colcat – I don’t know, I’m in dilemma.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:47 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,054,779 times
You have an hour from 4pm - 5pm. PLUS you have all morning until you have to be at work at 11am. That's more than a lot of grown-ups get! Feed yourself a hearty breakfast. Pack yourself a healthy lunch, get an insulated lunch cooler tote bag or lunch box, and eat something. Drink lots of water - keep a refillable water bottle with you at all times. And if the air in the office is bothering you, bring a personal oscillating type fan for yourself. Mist some essential oils mixed with water in a tiny spray bottle to make the air fresh and smell good. Put slices of cucumber, lemon, or orange in your drinking water. I've heard strawberries and pineapple are good, too, but I haven't tried those so I can't vouch for those... but I know cucumber is especially good.

At my last job we would have to be at the office at 4am. We would go straight through until 2 or 3pm, sometimes later. If we were lucky enough to work in pairs that day, we would have some time to eat, otherwise, if we were sent out to do the job alone, we wouldn't have time to eat nor could we even use the bathroom! (We couldn't leave our equipment unattended.) We could try to eat, but there was always a chance that either it would be too busy to stop and eat or we would start to eat when there was time and then as soon as we took that first bite of our sandwich or whatever, we'd have to stop eating and get back to work. (I realize that this doesn't seem legal, but it was a part-time seasonal position and I was told by my boss that they considered our "drive-time" to be breaks where we could eat something while in the car. We were expected to use the bathroom either before we left the office or back at the office.) Oh - and did I mention that we often were in old dirty buildings without windows or air conditioning?

Old 11-21-2012, 06:55 PM

247 posts, read 751,539 times
you're going to hate being a grown up. I don't mean that in a mean way, but I miss my old college/grad school schedule because I had to so much free time. I have a job with a good schedule so it's not even as bad for me.
Most people work from 8-5, add in commute times and that eats up 10-12 hours, go home eat/clean/watch tv/internet/grocery shop/etc for a couple hours, go to bed...repeat.

It's much worse with kids with baths, soccer, homework, etc.

Most computer/business jobs are the same thing over & over. They are boring, cliquey, and inside with no window view.

Welcome to adulthood.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:02 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,973 times
Life is too short, if your job is bothering you that much find something else you can tolerate, until you find something you LIVE for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment