Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 01:09 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times

Advertisements

IMO there are two work forces that unions represent. Skilled and unskilled labor. Example.

Unskilled - hotel maids, janitors, airport ramp personnel, unskilled manufacturing labor
Skilled - electricians, teachers, pilots, boilermakers, linemen

Two different types of people, both fall under the "union" label. Ironically I find that skilled union workers to be predominantly "right" leaning (Republican). Not really sure why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 01:22 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,687 times
Unions certainly are not perfect, and some public sector unions can be obnoxious at times. Nonetheless, it certainly isn't a coincidence that the decline in private sector union membership coincided with a declining middle class. The real culprit for this trend has been globalization, as the outsourcing of jobs to China was significantly weakened unions.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:01 PM

254 posts, read 597,743 times
Unions can be good or bad. They can make financial cutbacks. While a company who doesn't have a union, has to keep to the laws of the state, the union can change things, like how many hours you must have to get insurance benefits. My husband got this notice with his union that states you have to have 96 hours per month to have benefits. So the part-time workers that have a base amount of 20 hours a week and were able to make enough hours to keep their benefits, now have to get more hours to receive benefits. It also matters if you were hired as a full time or part-time employee.
My husband had to go on a partnership strike as the hotel he worked at was going on strike, even though he's in a teamster union, and the strike was mainly for the seiu workers. He received money from the union as part of the union dues he put in, and also they gave him food. That was a whole month.
As part of a union, it does protect your job, being that they can't just lay you off. They have to place you in another job somewhere. My husband had to do that. The contract was up for his company lot, and they were outbid by another company (garage lot) and so my husband got placed at another lot. If he were not in a union, he could have been out of a job.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:39 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,839,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Two different types of people, both fall under the "union" label. Ironically I find that skilled union workers to be predominantly "right" leaning (Republican). Not really sure why.
Higher wages and the power of Capital.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:14 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
As a former union member it's my opinion they only exist to keep the unqualified and incompetent worker (who would otherwise be fired) employed and the union management enriched at the memberships expense. Until this changes they are doomed.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:52 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
how else is a worker supposed to be able to protect his pay though?

no unions = lower pay, worse working conditions

So basically, you're saying that there are no people in this country who are in non union jobs that are paid well and have decent working conditions?

Old 02-13-2013, 05:53 AM

3 posts, read 2,415 times
Unions are a key reason for a solid middle class in America until the 1980's. A key feature of Reagonomics was undermining labor support and union busting. By every measure the number of families living in poverty from that point forward has risen and the middle class has shrunk. Real wages have shrunk not risen. However the wealthiest portion of America has gained resources and is financially solid. Unions set an independent standard for wages and benefits that force non-union employers to treat employees with higher regard. NO ONE ELSE IS NEGOTIATING FOR THE EMPLOYEE.

A strong, powerful labor market is critical to a healthy middle class. What is good for the wealthy is not necessarily good for the poor or middle class. This hype has led the middle class to surrender benefits, wages, rights, guarantees that have left them berift as they get older.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:46 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,002,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm in Canada. Without unions we wouldn't have some of the labour laws we have now. Without unions we wouldn't have had a middle-class. Now that unions are under attack, which always puzzled me, I see that eventually people will wake up and they will make a come back. I fear for a lot of younger people working today with no pensions, low wages. Not everyone can be a professional and without a solid middle-class our way of life will be under threat even more.
People are quick to blame the high cost of something on unionized employees, while ignoring the fact the CEO's etc salaries have skyrocketed many times over than what a mere employee gets. Also the money paid to said employees is spent back into the community.
Many successful companies are unionized. It's a myth you can't be both. Whenever a union has been busted or has less power it has never resulted in better pay and benefits for the employees. It always been better pay and perks by the executives.
Are all unions good unions? Of course not. However just because some haven't been angels doesn't mean they are all bad.
If the CEO of my company were reduced to 0 and spread amongst the employees, everyone would get a whopping $113 more per year.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:48 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,002,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanlegend View Post
Unions are a key reason for a solid middle class in America until the 1980's. A key feature of Reagonomics was undermining labor support and union busting. By every measure the number of families living in poverty from that point forward has risen and the middle class has shrunk. Real wages have shrunk not risen. However the wealthiest portion of America has gained resources and is financially solid. Unions set an independent standard for wages and benefits that force non-union employers to treat employees with higher regard. NO ONE ELSE IS NEGOTIATING FOR THE EMPLOYEE.

A strong, powerful labor market is critical to a healthy middle class. What is good for the wealthy is not necessarily good for the poor or middle class. This hype has led the middle class to surrender benefits, wages, rights, guarantees that have left them berift as they get older.
The employee can't negotiate for him/her self?

Old 02-13-2013, 07:24 AM

385 posts, read 615,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
how else is a worker supposed to be able to protect his pay though?
By constantly expanding his knowledge, skills, and abilities, and proving his worth to either his current capitalist pig employer, or to a different capitalist pig employer who is willing to pay more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment