Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 07:03 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I was diagnosed with aspergers syndrome when I was 17. Thanks for your encouragement though. I guess I'm also to blame for employers not calling me back after filling out an application? I wouldn't mind applying for a job sweeping floors, I'm more concerned on wether or not I am going to get called for an interview. That's the main issue here. The other stuff I always find a way to handle.

You guys keep insisting that I have an attitude problem and employers are picking this up. I find that odd when I'm apparently not even good enough to get an interview!

Do they have psychic abilities?
Was there a job opening when you applied? If no, your application got circular filed.

Did you put anything in when it came to experience and abilities? If you didn't, then yes. It's you.

Did you say you needed reasonable accommodation? If you did, then yes it's you.

And I'm sorry, but Aspergers isn't a disability in my book. It's a personality trait. I know plenty of very successful people that are on the autism spectrum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 07:23 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Was there a job opening when you applied?

Did you put anything in when it came to experience and abilities?

Did you say you needed reasonable accommodation?
Yes. Always.

Yes. I have some seasonal retail work experience. I even made a resume of it.

I don't disclose anything.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:29 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
I was diagnosed with aspergers syndrome when I was 17. Thanks for your encouragement though. I guess I'm also to blame for employers not calling me back after filling out an application? I wouldn't mind applying for a job sweeping floors, I'm more concerned on wether or not I am going to get called for an interview. That's the main issue here. The other stuff I always find a way to handle.

You guys keep insisting that I have an attitude problem and employers are picking this up. I find that odd when I'm apparently not even good enough to get an interview!

Do they have psychic abilities?
There are a lot of people out of work these days. Companies can't just magically create jobs to absorb everyone down on their luck. I fail to see a reason why any of your problems in life are the fault of employers.

It's not like they are hiring everyone but you just to hurt your feelings...

Quote:
Yes. Always.

Yes. I have some seasonal retail work experience. I even made a resume of it.

I don't disclose anything.
If you have not disclosed any of your alleged disabilities, then why is this issue even being discussed???

Old 04-11-2013, 07:43 PM

I only apply to stuff that I see advertised and have a shot at. Just because I have a policy of not disclosing doesn't mean I don't have to deal with it. I mainly don't disclose because I know there's always a chance they'll "forget" to let me know if I got the job or they'll say they went with someone else. My situation is just too dire to take the risk. But I never get this far anyway. Can't even get past the application acknowledgement part.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:56 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,925,188 times
Quote:
I only apply to stuff that I see advertised and have a shot at. Just because I have a policy of not disclosing doesn't mean I don't have to deal with it. I mainly don't disclose because I know there's always a chance they'll "forget" to let me know if I got the job or they'll say they went with someone else. My situation is just too dire to take the risk. But I never get this far anyway. Can't even get past the application acknowledgement part.
Do you think you may be failing the personality tests they make you take? I was hitting dead ins, then started googling to see how they want me to answer. I was being honest, but I've found out that really gets you nowhere. You will fail the tests with neutral answers. Also, perhaps your Aspergers is making it hard for you to answer the questions correctly? I dunno. But it's worth some time to research those tests to try to find out if you are passing them or not.

For example, I came across a question that said, "I am in a good mood all the time." And you have to answer strongly agree, agree, disagree, strongly disagree or neutral. Well, obviously employers want you to be in a good mood at work, but if anyone thinks they are in a good mood all the time, they are delusional or lying. But when I'm at work, I can fake a good mood, regardless, and that's what counts. But apparently, I'm suppose to answer that I am in a good mood all the time to get that question correctly.

I got my first call back in four months the day after I started reading about how to answers those questions.

Last edited by soanchorless; 04-11-2013 at 08:05 PM..

Old 04-11-2013, 08:08 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,274,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Didn't that "condition" just pop up out of nowhere about 10 years ago? Every quiet, shy, nerdy kid is said to have "Asperger's" nowadays. I think that one has gotten even more popular than ADD/ADHD.
These disabilites pop up all the time.

Do you have anxiety when in crowds like 80% of the whole population? Oh you do...well here is $350 a month for disability. Ridiculous.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:15 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
I'd need to be around easy going people who understand any social difficulties I might have at times. On an unrelated note, because of how tall I am if I am standing for long periods of time my back/spine hurt.
HAH! That sort of workplace doesn't exist. I'd like to surround myself with easy going and compassionate co-workers too. Just accept that workplaces are like any other social situation, and there are going to be stressful situations and pressures at every job.

And yes, everyone's back hurts after they are standing for long periods of time. Look into more comfortable shoes and also YOU standing up straight and keeping your abdominal muscles tight.

I think that the kind of job you are looking for just doesn't exist. Paying jobs require effort on the part of the worker, even the minimum wage ones.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:43 PM

3 posts, read 3,543 times
You guys are being pretty judgmental about someone you don't even know. The truth is that none of you have any idea how severe his problems may be. It is possible that he is just being a wimp and making excuses, but you don't know that. It is true that everyone will experience aches standing for a long period of time, but for all you know his pain may be much more severe than normal and possibly risking future back injuries may not be worth it for such a low wage. Furthermore, depending on the severity of Aspergers it may be extremely difficult for him to connect with other people which will make it even more difficult to find work. Furthermore, getting on disability is a lot harder than most people make it out to be. I will say that he is being really vague in describing his problems and as a result come off a bit whiny, but I do think he should be given the benefit of the doubt.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
Do you think you may be failing the personality tests they make you take? I was hitting dead ins, then started googling to see how they want me to answer. I was being honest, but I've found out that really gets you nowhere. You will fail the tests with neutral answers. Also, perhaps your Aspergers is making it hard for you to answer the questions correctly? I dunno. But it's worth some time to research those tests to try to find out if you are passing them or not.

For example, I came across a question that said, "I am in a good mood all the time." And you have to answer strongly agree, agree, disagree, strongly disagree or neutral. Well, obviously employers want you to be in a good mood at work, but if anyone thinks they are in a good mood all the time, they are delusional or lying. But when I'm at work, I can fake a good mood, regardless, and that's what counts. But apparently, I'm suppose to answer that I am in a good mood all the time to get that question correctly.

I got my first call back in four months the day after I started reading about how to answers those questions.
I'm sure I know how to answer them. I did alot of research on them a year or 2 ago. You have to give positive answers and only use strongly agree and strongly disagree.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:51 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power_of_the_glory View Post
You guys are being pretty judgmental about someone you don't even know. The truth is that none of you have any idea how severe his problems may be. It is possible that he is just being a wimp and making excuses, but you don't know that. It is true that everyone will experience aches standing for a long period of time, but for all you know his pain may be much more severe than normal and possibly risking future back injuries may not be worth it for such a low wage. Furthermore, depending on the severity of Aspergers it may be extremely difficult for him to connect with other people which will make it even more difficult to find work. Furthermore, getting on disability is a lot harder than most people make it out to be. I will say that he is being really vague in describing his problems and as a result come off a bit whiny, but I do think he should be given the benefit of the doubt.
Posters here have spent a lot of time giving him/her advice. They are inevitably stonewalled or given a laundry list of excuses.

In my opinion, the poster is being judgmental. Everything is the fault of the employers, the poster has no faults what so ever that might be leading to their chronic shortcomings in the employment realm. Cmon... Use a little common sense here. Also, some of the responses have been contradictory. At first, the poster claims that employers won't hire him/her because of their disabilities. Later, the poster claims they did not even disclose any disabilities with the potential employer. There is obviously more to the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment