Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 02:40 PM

491 posts, read 472,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara.M View Post
Agreed. This is a jungle, this is war, the hunger games. You gotta play dirty sometimes, play the system (employers, not the government--because the government's money is not really theirs, it's public money). Employers play us, they are greedy, they are cheap, they take advantage of the situation, they exploit us.
If something isn't working, you gotta change your strategy. "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.." remember?

During my last 2 weeks of job search (before getting my newly found low-wage job), I decided to change my strategies a little bit. I not only customized my resumes for each position (hey, job hunting is a job so you gotta put work into it), I also decided to downplay my higher education and in some cases just omit it.
I also extended the length of 2 of my previous part-time jobs, included responsibilities I never had, or significantly embellished the ones I did have.
Two of my references were real, the other was a relative (diff last names) who was prepared to help. What's the worst that can happen? Not getting the job if references are checked THOROUGHLY? Ha. Big deal. I wasnt even gonna have the chance to interview without the little lies, omisions and embellishments. Plus, unless you've worked in huge, well-known companies in high-level positions, I seriosuly doubt they check your references. Say in a restaurant, what if your supervisor doesn't remember you? Or he is no longer working there? Low-wage employers know this, they wont waste time.

When I did all this I actually got more calls than ever before.

During the interview of the one I finally accepted (not because of the wage--it was crap like the others, but because of the work involved), I didn't omit my education, but I did make up work responsibilities I never had for lenghts I didnt work, and when asked if I knew how to use a certain software I said yes. Never heard of it before. Immediately after I watched some youtube tutorials, self-taught, not hard at all, been doing great at work so far. She said she would check my references before making a decision. I'm 100% sure she didn't and still gave me the job. Again, who will bother?
HR people that post here Im sure are hyperventilating reading this....but I agree 100%. Fibbing and embellishing is the way you have to go these days.

What's the worst that can happen? You dont get the job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 02:43 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
. I am a victim of picky employers and this horrible hiring process.
You're only a victim of a poor attitude and a multitude of poor choices.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:50 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,613 times
You say that because you are one of the employers I'm talking about.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:14 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
I've listened to people talk about how they went on these programs for a few years, and when they went to college or found jobs, the people at the welfare office would look at them like they were crazy for not wanting to be on welfare anymore. Why is welfare being promoted so much? Is a certain political party trying to gain votes? hmm.....I wonder what party that could be....
Welfare is being pushed to keep the masses content. We have the same number of jobs as we did 10 years ago, yet we have 30 million more job seekers. This could be a short term cyclical issue, or it could be much more. If this is indeed a structural change, then it becomes the government's job to prevent social upheaval, and the disintegration of our republic. Like most things, the government finds it easiest to simple throw money at the problem. To that end, they've been doing a great job.

Quote:
I have a question for you andywire. What about if a person with a disability applies for a job and needs accomodations, and when they tell the manager he throws the application in the garbage (after they leave) and tells the person he hired someone else. What do you think can be done about this situation? Was it a right or wrong thing to do?
I would avoid bringing it up in the first place. After you are hired, it is officially their problem.

Quote:
Lara M., the topic is about why it is so tough to get jobs at places like mcdonald's, walmart, restaurants, etc. etc. For example people sending out thousands of these measly applications and getting no response or interview. I'm not picky about jobs. I am a victim of picky employers and this horrible hiring process.
If they found the right person for the job, how are their hiring practices horrible? Seems to me, you're looking for somewhere to pin the blame. What you need to do is decide how you are going to become the "right fit" for the jobs you are seeking.

I would be upset if I were you, but what you have been doing clearly is not working. Time to pick up a new strategy besides the Obama presidential slogan of "it's someone else's fault".

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
It totally depends on where in the country you live. Western North Dakota is BEGGING for workers of all skill levels, with the lowest unemployment rate in the country they're paying Walmart clerks $17/hr to start. But in rural Michigan it's nearly impossible to find jobs.
I recall driving through rural Michigan on the way back to visit family over the holidays. I stopped at a micky Ds. To my surprise, the place was full of older workers around my parent's age. Times are desperate in these locations. When I stopped at the gas station, same story. Wonder what all the young kids do for money... Cook meth I guess?

Old 04-10-2013, 04:34 PM

Remember what Peter Cappelli mentioned......the engineering job that rejected 29,000 applicants and the employer said there was a skills shortage. An employee of the company even got rejected because of the screening tactics. That's what I'm talking about. Then these kinds of companies say there is a skilled worker shortage. Something you and I both know is bogus.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:17 PM

A. You're not a skilled worker.

B. You can continue to blame everyone but yourself, continue repeating the same actions over and over - let me know when you get a different result.

C. I love how you know jack sheet about my business and say I'm one of the people keeping you out. I have literally hired HUNDREDS of people for their very first job, DOZENS without any diploma, GED, experience, skills, etc. The one thing they all had? The right AEEP. Attitude, energy, enthusiasm and personality. If I'm hiring a customer-facing position, I can train everything except those four. Why would I hire the mope looking to find an excuse for failure? I want the one who is positive, energetic and willing to learn.

If you come across in person the way you do on this board, there is your problem.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:25 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,925,188 times
I've been applying for low wage jobs since December and have gotten three call backs so far...and none have hired me yet. Some of the places I've applied to include McDonald's, Walmart and Waffle House. I worked at a Waffle House for three years. So these are not glamorous jobs that require skills I don't have. I have no criminal record, I've never been fired, and I've never quit a job without giving at least 2 weeks notice. I also have plenty of positive references. Still nothing. I'm not whining, just saying.

I guess I should say that part of my problem is that I only want part time work, but I thought that was what was most of these companies are looking for?

Last edited by soanchorless; 04-10-2013 at 06:36 PM..

Old 04-10-2013, 06:41 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post

2. Momentum. If you're working somewhere, anywhere, it's better psycologically than doing nothing but waiting for the phone to ring, or a new job posting to show. Just flip through this forum and check out the number of people who would jump at the chance for something to make them feel productive.
This is the main reason I want a job, really. I have some freelance work I could do at home, but finding and keeping clients and the ups and downs of income is seriously depressing. Add in no adult interaction for weeks at a time, and I just need to get out of the house before I go insane!

Old 04-11-2013, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
A. You're not a skilled worker.

B. You can continue to blame everyone but yourself, continue repeating the same actions over and over - let me know when you get a different result.

C. I love how you know jack sheet about my business and say I'm one of the people keeping you out. I have literally hired HUNDREDS of people for their very first job, DOZENS without any diploma, GED, experience, skills, etc. The one thing they all had? The right AEEP. Attitude, energy, enthusiasm and personality. If I'm hiring a customer-facing position, I can train everything except those four. Why would I hire the mope looking to find an excuse for failure? I want the one who is positive, energetic and willing to learn.

If you come across in person the way you do on this board, there is your problem.
I don't, but your type is keeping me out and soon you will suffer for it as taxes rise and obamacare kicks in. What else is there to do? I've tried it all. Applying, following up by phone and in person. Applying multiple times. I get no call%2

Old 04-11-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
I don't, but your type is keeping me out and soon you will suffer for it as taxes rise and obamacare kicks in. What else is there to do? I've tried it all. Applying, following up by phone and in person. Applying multiple times. I get no call%2
My type? You mean someone who runs a business employing a number of people?

Pray tell, how will I suffer for not picking up a negative attitude employee, when I've proven that I can hire and train people with no experience who possess the right attitude?

And taxes have been rising for decades, along with health care costs etc. but what do those have to do with hiring you? It's just another negative point you're trying to make - and one that doesn't even make sense.

The only person "keeping you out" is you. What else is there to do? Try adjusting your attitude, moving, reinventing yourself, pretend you have a job - anything. What you have done to date has failed. Try something new, instead of coming on here griping about the man holding you down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment