Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 05:21 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times

Advertisements

I make my breakfast the night before. I pack up my car with whatever I'm going to need. I lay out my clothes the night before as well (most nights).

I wake up at ~5:15. Get my clothes on. Wash up just a bit. Make lunch (sandwich or leftovers). Feed the cat. Put out garbage/recyclables (if applicable). Out the door.

Most days, I'm "up and out the door" in less than 15 minutes. Others, 25 minutes.

I eat breakfast usually about 2 hours after I wake up. Maybe a cup of tea when I first get into work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 10:16 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I work Tues - Fri, sometimes just Tues - Thurs. This is my usual work day routine:

5:40am - wake up to this time 1/2 of the time to alarm & reluctantly drag myself out of bed after resting for 5 more min...I could never trust myself to wake up naturally!

(5:10am - other 1/2 of the time I have to wake up, so I can leave the house at 6:55 to be there by around 7:20.)

- feed & take dog to bathroom
- get on computer for good 20 min
- often turn on TV to mornings news, but never actually sit & watch...I'm 1/2 listening to it
- take a wash up, brush teeth, etc....I shower on the weekend

You only shower twice a week? Yuck.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:19 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Personally, I hate working out. But I do it first thing in the morning so I will have no excuse to not work out. If I waited until after work, I'll use anything as an excuse not to do it.

....I had too many tough meetings.....
....I walked around too much and am already tired.....
....traffic was worse than usual.....
....I spilled tea on my shirt.......
....it was commercial after commercial on radio on the commute home....
....a red car pulled in front of me.....

it doesn't have to be logical, in any way. I will use anything as an excuse. That's why it's first thing in the morning. No time for excuses to build.
That would never work for me. I am not a morning person at all. I press the snooze button sometimes for literally an hour in the morning before I am able to get up. If my plan was to go to the gym in the morning, I would literally never go.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:41 AM

54 posts, read 82,901 times
- Wake up anywhere between 5:30-6:30AM
- Shower
- Dress
- Take out the trash if it is Monday
- Load the dishwasher
- Refill cat's water bowl
- Eat a peanut butter sandwich or eggs on toast or waffles
- Tidy up living room some after my kids (ages 3 and 1) turn it into a disaster zone from the night before
- Occasionally pack a lunch (usually leftovers from dinner) If no leftovers, I scrounge up food at work
- Leave anywhere between 7:00-8:00
- Catch a bus to work, usually I make it to the stop with a minute to spare (I did this growing up with school buses and it drove my mom nuts)
- Arrive anywhere between 7:40-8:40
- Leave office real quick to grab lunch if I didn't pack and I bring it back to the office
- I eat at my desk and work
- Leave work anywhere between 5:00-6:00PM
- Get home 5:40-6:40
- Takeover my kids while my wife cooks dinner and does stuff that she couldn't do during the day while home with the kids
- Go to sleep around midnight

My schedule is pretty flexible and I like to keep that way as much as possible.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:51 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,773,006 times
I work from home full-time. Right now, I get up about 5:45 AM to start my work day at 6 AM. I eat something breakfast around 8 am. I am done working by 2 or 3 pm.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:46 AM

22 posts, read 51,344 times
Default Still working on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
I'm very curious how others spend the first few hours of their day. What time do you wake up? Do you shower at night or in the morning? Do you make and bring your lunch to work or do you eat out? How do you spend the first few hours at work in the morning? Do you eat breakfast? I ask because I'm trying to see if my morning routine is adequate and am also trying to judge how lazy I am, as odd as that sounds. I'd also like to know how many minutes or hours you spend each day surfing the net, texting girlfriends/boyfriends, scheduling doctors appointments etc..and how often you are late for work. Thanks in advance for your response.
It depends on the time of the year. In the summer, when the mornings are warm it's so easy to get going and I am out the door right away, but in the winters I find myself sitting at around more. It's so cold here in the winters (Colorado), most mornings are single digits.

My ideal morning would be....
4:45am: Wake up, put on dog walking clothes
4:55am: Take dog out, drink coffee, read on phone
5:25am: Change into cycling clothes, running, or whatever the weather allows
5:40am: Workout
6:30am: Shower, change, head to horses
7:30am: Arrive at horses: clean stalls, water, feed, change out blankets. I do as many chores as I have time for but I always try to leave at 8am.
8:00am: Drive to work
8:20: At desk for work

I usually work through lunch, a few times a week I will take a lunch and maybe ride one of my horses, run errands, or workout again.

My pets take up the most time in the mornings, they are like my children...while until I get real ones.

I am still working on a few things, like sitting too much in the morning, online and such. I finally stopped watching TV. Originally it seemed like the right thing to do, watch TV to help wake you up...but I wake up so much faster without it.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:50 AM

22 posts, read 51,344 times
Do you just wake up and get going? Or do you need time to sit and drink coffee?

Old 03-03-2015, 05:55 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
5am: Wake up and hop in the shower
5:12am: Dressed and go make coffee and turn the news on/browse the internet while drinking my coffee
6:00am: Wake the kids up, make my lunch, sweep the kitchen floor (We keep the house clean after work so no real cleaning to do)
6:10 am: Get the little one dressed and get his breakfast
6:15 am: Wake up my wife as we are headed out the door (Make sure my oldest is dressed, teeth brushed, etc.. and has breakfast)
6:25am: Drop the little one off at daycare
6:45am: Arrive at work
6:45am - 7am: Eat my breakfast while planning out my tasks for the day
7am: Start executing tasks

Rinse and repeat.

I don't sleep very well so I typically don't get to sleep until after 11pm every night. I'm beginning to wake up at 4am but usually lay there until 5am.

My wife is a little different.......

6:15 am: Get woken up by me when I leave
6:20 am: Get in the shower/get dressed/makeup, etc...
6:45 am: Make coffee and lunch
7:00am: Wait for my oldest to catch the bus
7:10am: Leave for work
8:00 am: Arrive at work

Last edited by Nlambert; 03-03-2015 at 06:53 AM..

Old 03-03-2015, 06:05 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,638 times
I need at least an hour to get myself "awake" (drinking coffee) when I get out of bed. During that time, I don't want to talk to ANYONE!

Old 03-03-2015, 07:20 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,257,429 times
Lots of early risers in this thread. I've heard early risers tend to be very successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment