Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2013, 01:54 PM

459 posts, read 1,744,765 times

Advertisements

I really don't know how to take this as a young professional just a couple of years into the work force.

This job in particular, I work very closely with my boss. Over time, especially recently - she's gotten pretty snappy and will dig at me for no apparent reason and try to find things wrong with my work. What she typically points out as "wrong" is honestly not making a mistake, but differences in our style of project management and organization. She is a senior level at our position, while I am just still a junior. I still have pretty much the same responsibilities that she does and have a proven ability to keep things running while she's out. In all honesty - we are at completely different spectrums. I just graduated school 2 years ago, while she is nearing retirement in the coming 4-5 years.

She pulled me off to the side a couple of times this week, once to talk about how worried she was because our work has slowed down a lot. She is afraid layoffs are near since people have started looking at how we are spending our time. She has been suggesting I go out and run errands and things because "we are really slow today" all week.

I went to ask her a quick question, and I noticed she had Monster up on her screen. Not trying to be nosy, but she made no effort to conceal it and knew I was coming to her desk.

This has happened twice already this week. Second time was about the same thing but a different website.

I don't know if I should be worried myself. Is this normal for people to do this while at work? I'm not sure if I should be looking for a new job or what because I had brought this up to a friend and he said she may be looking for my replacement (I have only been working here about 6 months)! Year end and my first review as part of the company is coming up in the next couple of weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 02:43 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
I suspect she is looking at things for herself. If she's admitted she's worried that work is slowing down and layoffs may be in the works, she may be keeping her own options open.

Hardly think she'd be looking for your replacement if she had inkling that the work force may be downsized.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:19 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,773,006 times
I would be more concerned about my own situation than that of my boss. If the rumor is there about layoffs, start putting your own resume out, just in case. Your job situation in of itself does not sound good based on what you describe.

People do look for work while on the company dime, but I think it is not a good idea, considering everything you do at work can be documented on a computer quite easily. The last thing you want your employer to know is you are seeking other work.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:34 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
I agree with Willow. She is probably concerned about looking for a new job. I'm sure there are people who do search for jobs while at work but I wouldn't recommend it.

My co-worker and I have been looking almost daily now because of rumors and yesterday we officially received notice that the company was selling off all of their accounts and closing shop in three months, in which we will all be laid-off. Now I don't particularly care and look online at places whenever I am finished with my work for the day.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:39 PM

29,824 posts, read 24,913,395 times
She's probably searching for a "plan B" should layoffs start. I've done this many times in the past, but certainly not at work. Her workload may be getting light, allowing for free time.

Regarding her snaps... She's trying to mold you into the ideal productive worker. In my opinion, she would be doing you a great disservice by not digging into you a little. We all have things we could work on. In today's competitive environment, your productive capacity, work ethic and quality of work is what will make or break your career. Nobody wants a subpar worker. Can't make money on those anymore. A top of the line worker is always in demand however.

What I have noticed throughout my career... The workers who are worthless slide by without much problem. The boss won't waste the time trying to sculpt them into a top line professional. What they will do is lay them off when work slows down. I've had bosses early on who would chew me out for minor issues. Why? Because they always knew I was capable of improving my skillset and ability. I see that now and I rather appreciate the effort they put into molding and teaching me. Putting up with heavy handed tactics paid off in the long run.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:41 PM

400 posts, read 1,509,234 times
don't get too paranoid. she may not be trying to replace you. i would be worried if your company strictly recruits through monster instead of a company owned website. most companies just use monster as a feeder system to drive traffic to their own career site. many people have told me that you should always be looking for your next job. whether that means additional responsibility within your current role, internal promotion or lateral move or externally. based on what you described it seems you boss like most people could've just been keeping her eye on the market. another thing to note is monster has a large career advice section on the site. she couldve just been reading through career articles. never assume anything but do keep your interest first at all times by looking to see what else is out there. good luck.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:55 PM

67 posts, read 140,620 times
Don't get too paranoid. I think she is just self-conscious about her job and her performance. In my opinion, it sounds like she is threatened by you and has low self confidence in her work - thus she is bringing you down to make herself feel and perhaps look better.

If I was you, I would start doing "extra" work and volunteering to take on extra from other people in different departments. Show your worth to other people (IE her manager if he / she works in the same or nearby office) when it gets a bit slow in the office - this shows you are valuable to the company, and that you don't waste time.

That way if she does replace you, people will question her about doing so. Especially if you get along with everyone and her manager sees that you do fantastic work. Also, if they do lay off people, chances are they won't lay you off because you are valuable.

Don't respond to her personal attacks at you. If she become frustrated at you for no reason at someone else's presence, and you respond calmly, she will be the one that looks like the fool incapable of proper management, not you.

It's all about strategy!

Old 02-16-2013, 10:51 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
If there are layoffs, someone close to retirement has a LOT more to lose than someone fairly new to the job market. Chances are, she is trying to make herself visible and you less visible. Whether or not that will be enough to offset her larger pay package in the restructuring discussions is beyond your control. Do your job, but develop a plan B of your own. Seriously, many starting jobs go nowhere, and once you have absorbed all the training that fits for you, it can be time to move onward and upward. Sometimes that is the graceful thing to do. Someone that close to retirement may be unemployable in today's market.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:11 PM

90 posts, read 344,432 times
She is worried because of her AGE.

Time to start talking up your accomplishments and forging relationships with her superiors. You are younger, and cheaper, than she is.

Stay respectful of her, accept her guidance, etc. But don't run errands when it's slow. ASK for more work!

Old 02-16-2013, 06:24 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl007 View Post
I really don't know how to take this as a young professional just a couple of years into the work force.

This job in particular, I work very closely with my boss. Over time, especially recently - she's gotten pretty snappy and will dig at me for no apparent reason and try to find things wrong with my work. What she typically points out as "wrong" is honestly not making a mistake, but differences in our style of project management and organization. She is a senior level at our position, while I am just still a junior. I still have pretty much the same responsibilities that she does and have a proven ability to keep things running while she's out. In all honesty - we are at completely different spectrums. I just graduated school 2 years ago, while she is nearing retirement in the coming 4-5 years.

She pulled me off to the side a couple of times this week, once to talk about how worried she was because our work has slowed down a lot. She is afraid layoffs are near since people have started looking at how we are spending our time. She has been suggesting I go out and run errands and things because "we are really slow today" all week.

I went to ask her a quick question, and I noticed she had Monster up on her screen. Not trying to be nosy, but she made no effort to conceal it and knew I was coming to her desk.

This has happened twice already this week. Second time was about the same thing but a different website.

I don't know if I should be worried myself. Is this normal for people to do this while at work? I'm not sure if I should be looking for a new job or what because I had brought this up to a friend and he said she may be looking for my replacement (I have only been working here about 6 months)! Year end and my first review as part of the company is coming up in the next couple of weeks.
#1. You do not "catch" your boss doing anything.

#2. It is none of your business what your boss is doing unless he/she is asking you to do something illegal or immoral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment