Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 04:50 PM

827 posts, read 1,089,664 times

Advertisements

OP's first post here. This is a troll thread.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:58 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,873 times
OP, you have options. Join the military. There is the Coast Guard, Army, Navy, Air Force, and you can join the National Guard on a part-time basis.

Get a job. Try fast food, grocery stores, factories, FedEx or UPS package handler, direct care professionals, retail, free CNA classes at nursing homes, temp agencies, farms, and Labor Ready type agencies, corrections officers. If you try all of these places, you would surely find something.

Once you have a job, try to gain some skills. Learn a trade or take some classes at a community college. Then, get a better job.

Apprenticeships might also be worth looking into. You can check your local workforce center for information on those. They are usually offered through local unions. You can learn plumbing, welding, pipefitting and get paid while learning a trade.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:59 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,597,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspis83 View Post
So basically I live with my mom and never had a job before. I never did an interview in my life either. I tried filling out applications for fast food places, grocery stores, retail, back in my early 20's but nothing ever came of it. I got depressed and angry with myself that I just let myself become a basement loser for a few years playing video games all night and sleeping all day.

Now, my mom is in financial trouble and has asked me to get a job to help and to contribute to society, but I feel at this point I could be unemployable. What would an employer even say to me if he knows I never had a job at age 26? Would I even have a slight chance of getting an interview?
Forget the jerk jobs; forget the military. More people apply for low end jobs than for good jobs. Most companies don't check references. Look at IT companies as well as big ticket retail sales, furniture, jewelry, etc. Create a history on your resume and learn how to write cover letters. You'll find all of the material you need online.

If they catch your lying there's no big deal; you didn't break any law. Besides, there are plenty of other companies out there. Just avoid government and government contractor jobs as well as any that may require bonding or have internal security. Temp jobs in IT would be a great start for you as the agency does the job getting. get online; get some ideas. Create the new you.

You don't really wish to be a conscientious and hard-working burger flipper, do you?

Old 02-19-2013, 06:55 PM

254 posts, read 597,513 times
Get a job and get your own life. Don't be scared to do it. Look online for support and how-to's on interviewing. EDD have centers where you can do your resume and search for jobs. Don't sit on your a**.
What does mom say? Has she nagged you to get a job. If she has, why are you so lazy?
Do your share and help yourself. Be a productive member of society.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:56 PM

110 posts, read 330,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Forget the jerk jobs; forget the military. More people apply for low end jobs than for good jobs. Most companies don't check references. Look at IT companies as well as big ticket retail sales, furniture, jewelry, etc. Create a history on your resume and learn how to write cover letters. You'll find all of the material you need online.

If they catch your lying there's no big deal; you didn't break any law. Besides, there are plenty of other companies out there. Just avoid government and government contractor jobs as well as any that may require bonding or have internal security. Temp jobs in IT would be a great start for you as the agency does the job getting. get online; get some ideas. Create the new you.

You don't really wish to be a conscientious and hard-working burger flipper, do you?
how is the OP going to pull this off without working in the "jerk jobs" first? usually when you apply for retail, they want to see some sign of work experience before, even if its something small like cutting lawns on the weekend.

IT jobs are possible, if the OP has IT skills. To the OP, do you have any computer skills that can be used?

Old 02-19-2013, 07:20 PM

99,539 posts, read 4,490,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
It is very, very unheard of to be 26 and never doing anything with your life after high school. I too can't see how this could happen.
No, it's not unheard of at all. People suffer from mental health issues involving anxiety and depression. This happens more than you think.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:28 PM

278 posts, read 467,625 times
It is not "normal" to go without work until 26, but some people live this life differently and that is ok.

To get a job, you'll need to network, have references and put forth lots of effort. Very helpful to try volunteering at first and build relationships.

Try for jobs that just require someone to show up on time and work hard, and be this person. Anything with an application will present a challenge, so mostly concentrate on landscaping, dishwashing, and the less formal manual labor type jobs. I would avoid national chains, and look for mom-and-pop places. Once you get something, do it for a year before you look for something better, so you will have something in place to build upon.

Being a good employee on the entry level is about dependability, honesty and effort, not intelligence.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:34 PM

658 posts, read 1,554,043 times
Yes, you're in trouble. You better get a job ASAP to get some experience! And by experience I mean personal experience in the workplace. Get off your lazy butt and get a job!!! mama's boy!!! lol and grow up. Well at least you realize that you're being a complete loser by wasting your life. Now it's time to do something about it and stop being a loser! Best of luck!

Old 02-19-2013, 07:49 PM

2,507 posts, read 1,846,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I'm 26 and I've had a job since I was 15. So no, I cant comprehend how this could happen.
I can. Probably High Functioning Autism or Aspergers Syndrome. It's someone who is very capable of doing work, but has a buttload of problems communicating with other people, that one skill that is necessary in getting/landing a job. I have AS, and I always get extremely nervous when approaching people I've never talked to face to face before. Thank god for the anonymity of the internet, or else I probably wouldn't be here on CityData right now.

I'm working part-time now, but when I was in high school and college, I did not work at all, and my future looks bleak right now, even with my degree. I'm very grateful my parents continue to support me.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:54 PM

110 posts, read 330,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
I can. Probably High Functioning Autism or Aspergers Syndrome. It's someone who is very capable of doing work, but has a buttload of problems communicating with other people, that one skill that is necessary in getting/landing a job. I have AS, and I always get extremely nervous when approaching people I've never talked to face to face before. Thank god for the anonymity of the internet, or else I probably wouldn't be here on CityData right now.

I'm working part-time now, but when I was in high school and college, I did not work at all, and my future looks bleak right now, even with my degree. I'm very grateful my parents continue to support me.
first of all, great job on overcoming soe of your problems and getting that first job. yea, it's only part-time, but I know it must have been a huge deal for you to go through the application process. Now you have something to build on and can make your own life. what is your degree in? any chance you can build on it for the next job?

to all of you people who are saying, "how can this happen??" and other things, what are you wasting your energy for? The OP knows that he has messed up and is looking for ways to rectify his mistake. You can either help or just shut up because those little comments are not productive at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.