Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 08:07 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I am not able to find it. Heck if I remember what I googled to get it...but here is a link to the Bureau in general. I will keep looking and post when I find it.
It doesn't matter what site your googled response came from; your stats disprove your claim that "African American's often have a statistically higher criminal history and conviction rate than other groups. It is possible that there is a disparate impact on the group because of the policy and that is an issue."

You claimed this: "And, if you look up the statistics by race, there are, I can guarantee you, NOT as many while applicants turned down for the reason."

And then you went on to provide stats that refute your own claim.

According to stats you provided, more than 50% of white applicants would be excluded while less than 50% of black applicants would be excluded.

So what is the "legitimate discrimination issue" for blacks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 08:32 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
I applaud any employer who protects their customers from having to deal with criminals. Not to mention the fact that many employees give the credit card an extra "swipe". If I don't feel safe in any retail facility I refuse to shop there, so, I hope Target continues to stand up for their own interests and that of the public. Why would I give my credit card info to a crook????

Old 03-05-2013, 09:25 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
It doesn't matter what site your googled response came from; your stats disprove your claim that "African American's often have a statistically higher criminal history and conviction rate than other groups. It is possible that there is a disparate impact on the group because of the policy and that is an issue."

You claimed this: "And, if you look up the statistics by race, there are, I can guarantee you, NOT as many while applicants turned down for the reason."

And then you went on to provide stats that refute your own claim.

According to stats you provided, more than 50% of white applicants would be excluded while less than 50% of black applicants would be excluded.

So what is the "legitimate discrimination issue" for blacks?
Look up disparate impact. When you understand it, you will also see the issue. From your response, it is clear that you do not understand the legal term you are trying to take apart.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
the underlying card in the new employment game is EEOC.
if you can convince a judge that they did not hire you bek you are black not bek u r a criminal u have a case.
for the employer its awful. they sue u if you dont hire. they sue you for hiring them and not promoting fast enough or firing them for incompetence.
either way u get sued.
you have no idea how much damage this wide spread practice does to minority hiring.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I applaud any employer who protects their customers from having to deal with criminals. Not to mention the fact that many employees give the credit card an extra "swipe". If I don't feel safe in any retail facility I refuse to shop there, so, I hope Target continues to stand up for their own interests and that of the public. Why would I give my credit card info to a crook????
You do realize that you probably give your credit card to a crook all the time, right? 7 years after a conviction they don't even show on the background report.

So, remember, next time you hand your card to someone, you have no way of knowing if they have a record and, most likely, neither does the company who hired them.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:31 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
I'm not sure how blacks are targeted more because of criminal convictions?

What if no whites were hired because they had criminal backrounds?

I think the credit issue hurts blacks more than crminal convictions.

This goes back to At will employment.....they can rescind any employment offer they want.
If Target wanted to,they didn't even have to tell her why they rescinded the offer.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:32 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Its only for certain professions I guess.
For nurses they look into your psych history,criminal convictions past 7 years,and they do fingerprinting.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I'm not sure how blacks are targeted more because of criminal convictions?

It is called disparate impact. Google it.

What if no whites were hired because they had criminal backrounds?

I think the credit issue hurts blacks more than crminal convictions.

And, that is also covered under the FCRA making it illegal in many circumstances to use credit to make a job decision.

This goes back to At will employment

Completely wrong.

.....they can rescind any employment offer they want.

Couldn't be more wrong. Try actually reading the FCRA (the FEDERAL LAW that governs background checks)

If Target wanted to,they didn't even have to tell her why they rescinded the offer.

Also illegal. Once you have a job offer if you decide to rescind it, you DO have to give a reason. The other option is to allow the person to start working for you and then fire them after their first shift...which will open the company up to lawsuits for obviously trying to get around the disclosure on the background results.

Also, in many states you have the legal right to request a copy of the consumer report.
Wow.

Try looking up the law. You complain about the law as written when you discuss at-will employment. When you want, you then rewrite the laws to make your point.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Its only for certain professions I guess.
For nurses they look into your psych history,criminal convictions past 7 years,and they do fingerprinting.
And, wait for it, the process is governed by the FCRA laws.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:36 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Let's not forget, the most intelligent criminals will have no record at all! They're the ones you really have to watch out for!!!

They're the ones who have to suppress a side-splitting laugh when asked if it's OK to do a background check on them or take their fingerprints, or even take a lie detector test!!! Hee-Hee-Hah-hah!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment