Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 08:37 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin84 View Post
When I feel I'm doing very well at work, I give myself a merit raise by leaving and getting a job that pays 10% more.

This is the way to get the largest raise possible in the fastest amt of time. You can try for an extra week of paid vacation at the new job as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 09:12 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
I do have a question for you all as well. Let's say you are disappointed with the raise you are getting, can you say somthing?. I guess let me explain.

I started out in the company and had two bosses. One boss was fired and the other quit. I absorbed both of their duties on top of mine. They decided not to rehire their positions and I would be responsible for those duties from now on. Never got an increase or anything, which was ok for the time being. I have exceeded and surprised many, including the CEO, on what I have done and able to handle it these new duties. One of my bosses was an exec making more than $100k (I make $40k). Basically I have three positions into one and I have worked my A$$ off! But all the execs have taken noticed and praised.

With that being, you can probably see why I woudl be a little disappointed if I only saw a 3% raise. However, my question is this. Let's say you are disappointed with your raise, is it ok to say "Thank you very much for this increase, however I do want to say I am a little disappointed as I would have expected it to be higher."

I am not asking them per say for a higher raise, merely just giving them an FYI that I am disappointed with it. Do you think that would be an ok thing to do?
IMO, if your raise falls that far short of what you feel you should be getting paid, the best way to express your displeasure is to find a place that will pay you what you're worth.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:27 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,949 times
Quote:
Thanks for your input everyone!

On average do you know what percent increase one will see when it a promotional raise?
Depends on the promotion.
You may be looking at a lateral move in your pay range so therefore you would get nothing based on a promotional raise.

One company I worked for did a 5% promotional raise - no matter what the title or job duties. Other companies base it on pay ranges. I was looking at a title promotion (supervisor) and learned I would likely not get a pay raise nor a merit increase due to the pay range.

Merit raises usually go from 0-4% generally. Average is usually 3% for "meeting expectations".

most companies don't recognize the "exceeds expectations" as this really really really has to have an impact on business and or customer base. So.. employees get bounced into a "meets" category.

COL raises are very rare.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:25 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,770,582 times
Just to throw in the public sector perspective... (local, not federal)

Each year you get an annual review where your supervisor can recommend you for a merit raise if you receive superior ratings. The actual merit raise is then set for each individual by a merit board. Each individual recommended for a merit raise goes in front of the board in a public hearing to determine how much they should receive (typically 1-3%). Nasty process, as you can count on several members of the public showing up to essentially call you a leach and other interesting names. If the merit board does not meet, no one gets a merit raise. In our county, the merit board has not met since 2006, and is currently disbanded until new members are appointed in 2018. This seems to be the norm over the last 5 years.

Most public sector raises come in the form of across the board cost of living adjustments. When you hear about public sector raises, most of the time this is a cost of living adjustment. Cost of living adjustments are across the board but only apply to people below the current pay scale maximum for their position (typically about 50% of the starting wage for the position). The pay scale does not increase with cost of living adjustments. Cost of living adjustments are normally optional and do not need to actually be indexed to CPI.

There is also a separate schedule adjustment. This increases the minimum and/or maximum pay for any position. It has no effect on employees not at the maximum or minimum. As a general rule, employees are also capped based on the pay of their department head. So, for example, if you are earning $120k and a new department head is hired at $100k, then your salary automatically drops to $100k no matter what your pay scale allows. Schedule adjustments are normally done on a position by position basis.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:02 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,321,301 times
They moved the review to today, and I will say I am satisifed. Not supper happy but not disappointed either.

No promo.

9% merit raise for me. The rest of the company got about 4%.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:22 AM

238 posts, read 315,834 times
Quote:
They moved the review to today, and I will say I am satisifed. Not supper happy but not disappointed either.

No promo.

9% merit raise for me. The rest of the company got about 4%.
Congratulations!

Working in a community college, in an unionized environment, there is no such thing as merit based raises. We just get bumped up to the next salary range after one year, regardless of work performance, which annoys me. I'm a fast learner, very productive, and have excellent time management skills. I'm already at the top of the range at my job (aka the glass ceiling), so I have plans to jump ship at the end of the year.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:38 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,848,868 times
Our annual "performance-based merit increases" for the past few years have been capped at 2-3%. Except for this year. This year we brought in record-breaking profits and got a pay freeze. So much for being "performance-based".

Old 04-08-2013, 11:13 AM

Thanks everyone. I guess compared to what everyoe else has told me 9% really is a good raise. I cant complain.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:15 AM

Actually I misread!

There were two raises combined, 9% merit, 3% standard. So in actuality it is 12%. So getting an additional $5k. Not bad!

Old 04-08-2013, 12:32 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,414,326 times
I have received merits of 2.7-3.0% the past few years. It is based on your individual performance for the year and a merit budget determined by management. I think for most people an across the board 'standard' percentage is given. I haven't heard of anyone getting more, but I could be wrong.

We also get an annual bonus which is based on a target percent of your base salary, plus your individual, department, and corporate (financial) performance for the year. Mine was 5% for 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment