Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 05:29 PM

328 posts, read 682,653 times

Advertisements

Even though a Merit increase is performance based, it really becomes immaterial since the spread between "average" (a 3 rating on a 5 system) is usually not more than 1 or 2 percentage points from a "good" rating (4). The Bonus is where the meat is for many. But the higher Merit increases many times is rewarded with a Promotional increase and change of title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 06:53 PM

340 posts, read 914,121 times
I worked for a non-profit hospital. The hospital made a great deal of money that year, but decided it would be best to give everyone 2% and build another wing instead.

Best of luck to you.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:31 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,321,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerMatt View Post
I worked for a non-profit hospital. The hospital made a great deal of money that year, but decided it would be best to give everyone 2% and build another wing instead.

Best of luck to you.
Thanks. Got a 12% raise so very happy with it.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:36 PM

340 posts, read 914,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Thanks. Got a 12% raise so very happy with it.
Wow that's huge! I need to be at that company.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:46 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,321,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerMatt View Post
Wow that's huge! I need to be at that company.
Well I worked my a$$ off. But yeah very good, seeing as I have only been here a year as well!

Old 04-08-2013, 08:28 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Well I worked my a$$ off. But yeah very good, seeing as I have only been here a year as well!
Congrats!!!

Old 04-08-2013, 10:15 PM

36 posts, read 65,430 times
Only in contemporary corporate America can a person with a degree work his a.. off to do what 3 people are supposed to do and be happy when his/her salary got bumped from 40K to 45K. Really sad times.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_enthusiast View Post
Only in contemporary corporate America can a person with a degree work his a.. off to do what 3 people are supposed to do and be happy when his/her salary got bumped from 40K to 45K. Really sad times.

To the short term thinker, you make sense.

To those who think long term, your post is rubbish.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:35 PM

36 posts, read 65,430 times
What's rubbish about it? I am pretty sure the OP is a good employee and deserves to be paid more. Sorry, I am not buying this bs about "short term" vs "long term" as in most cases that's an excuse for a company to abuse employees. I still see people stuck somewhere for "experience" whereas in reality they can get the same experience somewhere else making decent money. Good experience is not (and should not be) synonymous to crappy pay. In fact in my experience the opposite correlation it true (at least in IT).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
To the short term thinker, you make sense.

To those who think long term, your post is rubbish.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_enthusiast View Post
What's rubbish about it? I am pretty sure the OP is a good employee and deserves to be paid more. Sorry, I am not buying this bs about "short term" vs "long term" as in most cases that's an excuse for a company to abuse employees. I still see people stuck somewhere for "experience" whereas in reality they can get the same experience somewhere else making decent money. Good experience is not (and should not be) synonymous to crappy pay. In fact in my experience the opposite correlation it true (at least in IT).
It is his first professional job. Most of us end up making so much more up the road due to the invaluable experience gained via early professional jobs. Those with McJobs don't.

I'm talking a path where a short span of years means quadrupling starting salary, at a minimum. It requires the patience the OP is demonstrating. Many would kill for the opportunity he has, to be a key player at ones first job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment