Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 07:24 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,681,455 times

Advertisements

A while ago on Reddit, there was a thread by a member who claimed he got hired by a firm and was just placed in an office without any stipulations for the job. He was basically hired to do nothing. I'm not sure if this was a true account, but it's worth asking if this is a common occurrence in the workforce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 07:53 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
No. Wages are a concern for any company and only badly mismanaged ones will let something like this happen.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:32 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
No. Wages are a concern for any company and only badly mismanaged ones will let something like this happen.
That type of thing would never happen in the private sector. Only a company run by complete retards would hire someone to sit in a room and do absolutely nothing, and that kind of company wouldn't last long.

However, I have heard of plenty of cases where federal government workers are assigned to sit in an office with nothing to do all day and they get paid well for it.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:44 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,681,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
That type of thing would never happen in the private sector. Only a company run by complete retards would hire someone to sit in a room and do absolutely nothing, and that kind of company wouldn't last long.

However, I have heard of plenty of cases where federal government workers are assigned to sit in an office with nothing to do all day and they get paid well for it.

I've heard that some engineers at some contract firms get paid engineering salaries for merely doing paper work. A lot of engineers don't do engineering work.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:07 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
It happened to me at a well known manufacturer who has been in business for decades; you have at least one of their products in your home right now! It took them 4 weeks to get me a computer that was supposed to be on my desk the day I started and then several more weeks to get me logins to the systems I would be working with. I have to imagine this doesn't happen often, but it happened to me!

Old 04-27-2013, 03:21 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Work in any large company, in some sort of niche position like, "EEO Coordinator". Federal employment is rife with positions like this. And jobs with union protection. The way they "punish" you is give you an office, with no work, no job duties, no computer. Sometimes a deeply buried cubical, and they tell you to stuff envelops or something.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:27 PM

29,824 posts, read 24,913,395 times
This would be insane. Most places I have worked don't have enough people to keep the operation running smoothly. Even the owners would be out there working along side us. The only position where someone isn't working all the time is either the boss's kid(s) or the hr manager.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:38 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,431,622 times
Wish I could get a job like that

Old 04-30-2013, 07:16 AM

756 posts, read 2,118,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post

That's parodied on 'Parks and Recreation' although, with local government workers, although not federal or necessarily being paid well for it.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:11 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,773,006 times
I have had jobs as a paper pusher and never had enough to do. I was not always using my time wisely and being very young. I would spend time studying. And yes, it was a temporary government job, not permanent.

I rarely had long downtime occasions in the private sector ... I don't have to elaborate on why that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment