Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2013, 06:26 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,042,469 times

Advertisements

I had posted about this topic in the past: my company gives us yearly evaluations every June. In June 2010, at the time of my evaluation, I was working extreme overtime on a project (basically nothing but working and sleeping). But in my evaluation (which is given by the department head, not my direct boss), he claimed that I was "not working enough overtime", "not a team player", and "not willing to make sacrifices". I explained that was not true, and I offered to show him my recent timesheets to prove that I was working a lot of overtime. He said he has no interest in seeing my time sheets, and said I was "defensive" and said that if I was a defendent on trial, I would be in jail. Two years later, in 2012, he again said I was not working enough overtime in my evaluation (admittedly, I wasn't working that much overtime at the time, but it was clear from context he was still referring to 2010).

Now, I am, unfortunately, working on another project that requires extreme overtime, basically, again, doing nothing but working and sleeping (Mon-Fri, at least). This will continue until the end of June.

What advice do you have for me if, in my evaluation, I am again chewed out about "not working enough overtime"? Do you recommend I bring several timesheets to my evaluation, in order to show him that I am working a lot of overtime? Or, do you suggest that even if he accuses me of "not working enough overtime" that I just keep my mouth shut, in order to avoid making an enemy? I definitely want a decent raise; the raises that I have been given in recent years seem to small given the amount of work that I do. But it is more important that I keep my job, even if I get no raise at all. As painful as it may be to keep my mouth shut when being falsely accused, I do realize that (whether real or perceived) not working enough overtime is probably less damaging to my career than making an enemy.

I should also mention that every year, nearly every employee gets the "not working enough overtime" line, so it's not as if I'm being singled out.

Note that I have no interest in getting a new job, so please do not suggest that. The only question I am asking (and the only answers I am looking for) are whether I should bring recent timesheets to my evaluation to show to him when I get the usual "not working enough overtime" line, or if I should just keep my mouth shut even if I'm accused of not working enough overtime, or if you have some other suggestion. I am also in this thread not looking for a debate on how much overtime one should be expected to work, or what rights and responsibilities employeers vs employees have.

Thank you.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:34 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,477,771 times
You answered your own question.

I would find another job. But you stated that's not an option for you. This leaves you 2 options.

1) bring the time sheets for the entire year to show your OT

or

2) stay quiet and let the mgr give his wrong comments about the OT.

I think no matter what you do (bring timesheets or stay quiet), the result will be the same. He is probably rubber stamping the same annual review for each person and doesn't give a darn what you say and what you think. He doesnt care if the information is incorrect on the evaluation. This year will be the same as prior years when he gave the same evaluation.

To be honest, I would start working 40 hrs a week going forward(not not say a word to anyone about this plan. Dont threaten this in the review. Just start doing it) . If he is going to blame you for working fewer hours, then I would then start being the employee that he is explaining in the annual review.

Is there a place on the annual appraisal form where you can document your comments? Then you can specify your time worked each week through the year. and come up with an avg hrs per week for the year. and then total all the extra hours above 40/week that you worked for the entire year.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You answered your own question.

I would find another job. But you stated that's not an option for you. This leaves you 2 options.

1) bring the time sheets for the entire year to show your OT

or

2) stay quiet and let the mgr give his wrong comments about the OT.

I think no matter what you do (bring timesheets or stay quiet), the result will be the same. He is probably rubber stamping the same annual review for each person and doesn't give a darn what you say and what you think. He doesnt care if the information is incorrect on the evaluation. This year will be the same as prior years when he gave the same evaluation.

To be honest, I would start working 40 hrs a week going forward. If he is going to blame you for working fewer hours, then I would then start being the employee that he is explaining in the annual review.

Is there a place on the annual appraisal form where you can document your comments? Then you can specify your time worked each week through the year. and come up with an avg hrs per week for the year. and then total all the extra hours above 40/week that you worked for the entire year.
Before we have our evaluation, we have to fill out a form that we hand in at our evaluation. One of the questions is "Do you willingly work overtime". Probably my best bet is to just answer that question honestly. But the problem is, I don't think anyone ever sees that form other than the department head.

I should also mentioned that I planned my vacation and postponed jury duty around the deadline for this project. I have e-mails to prove that, but I'm not sure who I'd want to prove it to.

Given that keeping my job is far more important than getting a good raise, probably my best bet is to just agree to whatever raise (if any) I am offered, even if I don't feel that it's fair. If they do want to lay me off, then overtime or not, and good evaluation or not, there is probably nothing I can do, since the decision is probably already made.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:53 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,965,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Note that I have no interest in getting a new job, so please do not suggest that.
Given the above statement, suggestion: None.

Insanity is the act of doing the same thing again and again, expecting different results.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Given the above statement, suggestion: None.

Insanity is the act of doing the same thing again and again, expecting different results.
As I have said in other threads:

1. The firm that I work for is the only remaining engineering firm that I consider to be a reasonable commute to where I live.

2. I do not want to relocate, since I consider proximity to family to be something you cannot put a price on. I would only relocate if I had no other options (if I was laid off from this job), and I haven't gotten to that point yet.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:50 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,122,044 times
If OT is such an important part of your performance review, why don't you and your boss (or your boss' boss) set the OT objectives (perhaps a range?) expected? Then there's no anguish over what constitutes "enough OT".

Old 05-04-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
If OT is such an important part of your performance review, why don't you and your boss (or your boss' boss) set the OT objectives (perhaps a range?) expected? Then there's no anguish over what constitutes "enough OT".
Maybe that is what I should do, although I seriously doubt that he'd be willing to give a number, since it will vary from time to time. The other issue is that I run the risk of him giving me a number that would be nearly impossible to meet.

What I wonder is, if overtime is expected to be the norm, then why don't employers just come clean and extend the hours of the official workday?

Old 05-04-2013, 11:39 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,391,998 times
Moderator cut: snip

Seriously? If you don't want to make any changes, stop asking for advice you don't want either.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 05-05-2013 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: removed orphaned portion responding to a deleted post

Old 05-05-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Moderator cut: snip

Seriously? If you don't want to make any changes, stop asking for advice you don't want either.
I guess I have to repeat myself:

1. All engineering firms expect the hours that the one I'm working for expects

2. I work for the only engineering firm that I consider to be a reasonable commute from where I live

3. If I had to commute to NYC, I'd have even less free time, given the long commute, and the even longer hours that would be expected of me.

4. I consider proximity to family to be something you cannot put a price on, so I do not want to relocate (even if I have to work long hours), unless I have no other choice (being laid off from this job, which has not happened yet).

5. I'd rather work long hours than be living many hours away from family

6. Even if relocating would give me more job choices, it wouldn't reduce my work hours, so there is no real point

7. As the sole breadwinner in my family, I cannot quit my job and go back to college full time

8. The hours I am expected to work are too long to allow me to go back to college full time

9. My post was clearly asking about what I should say or do, if anything, at my evaluation. I clearly said I was not debating how much overtime is too much, nor was I looking for advice other than what to do or say at my evaluation. If you aren't answering that question, then you should not respond.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 05-05-2013 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: removed portion that was deleted from quoted post

Old 05-05-2013, 10:35 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,333,911 times
Question was asked. Question was answered. Conversation is done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment