Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 06:29 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
A manager should take this person aside gently and explain to them that in this culture, we find that odor unpleasant and offensive. That's really all it should take.
As a manager I would not use the word culture it opens you up to potential complaints. You just talk to the employee as one individual to another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 07:58 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,236,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I would talk to your manager and just explain nicely, let them know the OP is a nice guy and good worker, but his odor is affecting the productivity of the team and you specifically. When you put it in $ terms that tends to motivate people

Very good advice! Tried to rep you. I wouldn't be silly about it. If the person is homeless or has a disease or is an addict, it's not a laughing matter.

So I'd nix the fish or anonymous e-mails. Too middle school. And nasty.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:51 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
I used to work with homeless people. For my own personal sanity, I wore perfum, hairspray, doused my office with Febreeze, had scented oils on my desk, washed my clothes with Surf, added extra Downy. I smelled so clean and fresh, nothing could penetrate the "aroma armor". Now, that may not work for you....

I suggest just telling this guy, "dude, I like you, but you stink". I personally think telling the boss is chicken, and could get the guy fired. Just tell him straight, he is in America now, and he has left the camel farm.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:20 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,572,361 times
Leave a bottle of mouthwash, tooth paste and brush, bar soap, shampoo, deodorant, and package of clean underwear on his desk with a nice note, ''we care, don't want to hurt you, but you need to use all of these products daily''.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:24 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,361,153 times
There are/were a lot of foreigners at my current job. This is a problem for many of them.

I would speak to HR and be super nice about it.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:37 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,932,712 times
Did the dirty deed and basically told the guy he stinks to high heaven to his face in a kind manner. Screw passive aggressive crap.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:04 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
The employee is homeless possibly? No culture takes lack of hygiene to the extremes like you describe. There also could be depression or substance abuse possible. The manager needs to address this issue, Its part of his job.
Yes, they do -- but I think we're seeing fewer smelly foreigners because word must have gotten out that we find their odors disgusting. I've noticed that people immigrating now from countries that were notorious for horrendous body odors don't have as much of that.

They really don't notice the bad smell -- it's not doing them any favor to keep them uninformed. It hurts them because no one wants them around and finds them offensive when they reek.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:10 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,028,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Did the dirty deed and basically told the guy he stinks to high heaven to his face in a kind manner. Screw passive aggressive crap.
Do you feel better now? Not everyone can understand the odor of ones self. Its just a man though, he probably deserved the humiliation right?

Sometimes it takes person to point it out without sounding like an ass hat, because maybe he didn't understand the full picture of his offence..

How do you wash the stink of yourself now?

Passive aggressive indeed.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:25 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
Do you feel better now? Not everyone can understand the odor of ones self. Its just a man though, he probably deserved the humiliation right?

Sometimes it takes person to point it out without sounding like an ass hat, because maybe he didn't understand the full picture of his offence..

How do you wash the stink of yourself now?

Passive aggressive indeed.
If the OP told him nicely it wasn't about humiliation. What's worse is to just leave him ignorant and having everyone shun him.

It's cultural -- Americans tend to be obsessively clean in others' views -- we shower and shampoo daily but when you do that, you get unaccustomed to odors others don't notice. You pass by someone who hasn't showered in the last 24 hours and it's a pretty nasty smell to us.

i think for foreigners it's just a matter of not realizing this issue. Someone has to point it out.

One of the funniest things where I worked was someone trying to leave the hint -- this guy was a professional, intelligent and respected but he smelled bad from not showering often enough. Someone left a big can of deodorant on his desk and he didn't get the hint. Being the honest kind of guy that he was, he tried to find it's owner, he assumed someone accidently left it and actually wandered around trying to find the proper owner of the deodorant, going up to people and explaining it was left on his desk -- did they know whose it was --- absolutely hysterical.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:14 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,931,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Has anyone had to deal with this before? I like the guy, he's very intelligent, and good to get along with, but for some reason he has horrible hygiene. Sometimes it seems like he hasn't showered for almost a week--dandruff is blatant and he can easily be smelled from almost 20 feet away. Many times his clothes are also disgustingly filthy, like they haven't been washed for 3 weeks. Unfortunately, my desk is right next to this person so I have to constantly smell his musk all day long. Yesterday, another co-worker was at the gym the same time he was and commented at how revolting he was smelling at the gym and how there was a radius of people that would not work out next to him at the gym because of the smell. This person is also foreign, so sometimes I understand that in foreign cultures deodorant and showering may not always be a daily thing. How would you politely tell this person to basically "clean up". He's a very bright individual, but little does he realize, that he's being ostracized behind his back by everyone else and damaging his career simply because of hygiene. First impressions are everything; one can give a wonderful speech and presentation, but if you stink to high heaven, that's all everyone is going to remember and you could ruin a potential employment opportunity for a reason that's easily fixable. What should I do?
Who would hire such a person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment