Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 12:38 PM

158 posts, read 264,864 times

Advertisements

If you get hired though, you'll get a bunch of mail. Usually benefits and stuff related, but still it's mail if someone's tracking it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 12:40 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
To those mentioning a PMB. Where do you find these? If they aren't from the UPS Store, which was mentioned as higher cost than a PMB, then who else offers PMBs?

Old 05-29-2013, 05:09 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I guess these post office boxes, even the ones that look like a real address would work, but only for jobs that don't require criminal background checks and child abuse clearances. This person would never get a job in my field. Hell, the child abuse clearances, at least in PA and NJ, require every physical address you've lived at in the past 20+ years, and the names of every person you cohabitated with!
I couldn't tell you everyone I roomed with over the years other than family. There have been several due to different dorm and apartment situations.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:34 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I couldn't tell you everyone I roomed with over the years other than family. There have been several due to different dorm and apartment situations.
That's fine as long as you don't go for jobs requiring child abuse clearances (mental health, human services, children's services, elder care, school districts, health clinics, day care, etc).
They didn't push on the dorm thing, but roommates I shared houses ansd apartments with, they had to know.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:02 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
I had to get a P.O. Box because my mother who had Alzheimer's was stealing and ripping up my mail when I wasn't home. Let me tell you, it wasn't easy getting the P.O. Box.

The Post Office made it very difficult. First, I filled out the form. Then I had to wait several weeks for the Post Office to send a letter to my physical address confirming that I actually lived there (it was about 6 weeks). I was worried when it didn't arrive (I thought I would receive it in a few days). I thought my mother was intercepting the mail again. Why they just couldn't mail it to me immediately is something that I will never understand . . . this explains why the Post Office is in so much trouble . . .

I actually went to the Post Office to find out when the letter hadn't arrived and they said that they had just mailed it that day and that it would arrive the next day. I had to take a day off from work to lie in wait for the postman. I ran outside when I saw his truck and asked him if there was a letter for me from the Post Office! There was! I think he felt so bad when I told him the circumstances. Apparently he handed my mother the mail. Of course, he had no idea of her problems!

I then raced over to the Post Office with the letter. I used this P.O. Box for about 5 years while I moved several times. Shhhh! don't tell the Post Office. I actually moved to another town while still using that P.O. Box. Shhhhh!. The last year it was $70.00 a year for the smallest size post office box. Not too bad. Once a week, it was stuffed full of useless circulars in addition to my mail.

I would definitely look into the PMB situation. It looks like a real address, as others have said. I believe that you can even call them (at least at the UPS store) and ask if you have mail so that you don't have to make the trip for nothing. I don't think it's cheap, though:

Mailbox Services

Old 05-29-2013, 07:30 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimilyn View Post
If you get hired though, you'll get a bunch of mail. Usually benefits and stuff related, but still it's mail if someone's tracking it.
That's why when you are hired you give a DIFFERENT address when you fill out your tax information and all that. And just say you moved or you have been having an issue with mail not being received at that address...

But either way, if a PMB is affordable I'd do that.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:56 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
To those mentioning a PMB. Where do you find these? If they aren't from the UPS Store, which was mentioned as higher cost than a PMB, then who else offers PMBs?
Do a Google search for your city. Type in private mailbox rentals, mailbox stores, mailbox rentals, mail and forwarding services. You should find several, if not more.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
I was on an interview panel today, and noticed one of the resumes didn't include an address, only a phone number and e-mail. It didn't stop her from getting an interview. Eventually, though, she'll have to supply some kind of mailing address.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:36 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I used PMB addresses for 20 years. When I first got one, it was $3 a month. My last bill was $70 plus tax for 3 months, so I got a PO Box.

Most of the companies like Mailboxes, etc. and Pack & Ship were bought by UPS, so you really don't have much of a choice. The only others I can think of are Pak Mail Centers of America [URL="http://www.pakmail.com/"](link)[/URL] and Post-Net [URL="http://www.postnet.com/"](link)[/URL]

Old 05-30-2013, 06:50 AM

858 posts, read 1,807,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
I had to get a P.O. Box because my mother who had Alzheimer's was stealing and ripping up my mail when I wasn't home. Let me tell you, it wasn't easy getting the P.O. Box.

The Post Office made it very difficult. First, I filled out the form. Then I had to wait several weeks for the Post Office to send a letter to my physical address confirming that I actually lived there (it was about 6 weeks). I was worried when it didn't arrive (I thought I would receive it in a few days). I thought my mother was intercepting the mail again. Why they just couldn't mail it to me immediately is something that I will never understand . . . this explains why the Post Office is in so much trouble . . .

I actually went to the Post Office to find out when the letter hadn't arrived and they said that they had just mailed it that day and that it would arrive the next day. I had to take a day off from work to lie in wait for the postman. I ran outside when I saw his truck and asked him if there was a letter for me from the Post Office! There was! I think he felt so bad when I told him the circumstances. Apparently he handed my mother the mail. Of course, he had no idea of her problems!

I then raced over to the Post Office with the letter. I used this P.O. Box for about 5 years while I moved several times. Shhhh! don't tell the Post Office. I actually moved to another town while still using that P.O. Box. Shhhhh!. The last year it was $70.00 a year for the smallest size post office box. Not too bad. Once a week, it was stuffed full of useless circulars in addition to my mail.

I would definitely look into the PMB situation. It looks like a real address, as others have said. I believe that you can even call them (at least at the UPS store) and ask if you have mail so that you don't have to make the trip for nothing. I don't think it's cheap, though:

Mailbox Services
That's very odd. I got a P.O. Box online last year and the only thing I had to do was to go to the post office and show my ID to get the key. If I had wanted, I could have just go there, apply, pay and get the key right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment