Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 08:35 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,522,166 times

Advertisements

So, back in April I accepted a 3rd part time job. This job paid lower then the 2 others, but had a regular schedule and I could continue to work the other 2 jobs and have slightly over full time hours between the 3. I took the position for that and for the opportunity for a quick jump to management.

Well the quick jump happened late May. I moved into a management vacancy left by a departing employee. My district manager told me, when I questioned, that HR knew all about it, everything was good to go pay raise-wise and assured me it was safe to put in my 2 weeks notice at my other jobs. I did, and managed to use my days off to complete work for the other 2 companies and leave without burning bridges.

So 2 weeks ago I should have received my first check at my new wage. Unfortunately it was still at my old rate and over $100 short. I quickly texted my DM, who said I was quite right and he'd make a call. I assumed he did and that all was ok, and went about my business to prove that I was the right choice for the job.

So the next paycheck came, still at the old rate. Now its well over $200 or more they owe me. I call my boss and he apparently forgot to make the first call he said he would. After more prodding he finally send me the CC of emails between him and payroll, and apparently he never put in for my promotion correctly. This was Friday. Today I call him to check the status and he says "they're working on it". I flat out said that was not good enough and that I'd call myself. (I'm not supposed to go above him as there were too many employees calling HR and payroll for the wrong reasons).

So I called HR. Got a nice sounding person who found that my rate was STILL the old rate and that my boss should have filled out some form that needed to be signed off on by so and so, and she would call him to explain the process to him, and that she would call me back to let me know the results of that call. She did not call back. Nor has anyone from payroll returned my calls over the past 2 weeks.

I am now heading into my 2 days off, and payday is wednesday. I'm expecting my paycheck will again be short, and the company will now owe me over $400 plus I cannot live on that current wage. Its less then what I made at my 2 part time jobs.

I'm pretty furious and stressed over the whole thing. Is it wrong of me to assume that once the error was found it would be immediately rectified by staff and an additional check cut for me to make up the missing money?

My DM asked me to cover anothers shift at a different location on Thursday, so that guy can have a day off. I agreed, then realized I will be in no mood to make the extra drive even for that chance to earn extra commissions. So when I got home tonight, I added to my text of "yes" to my boss, an "if my pay is correct". He didn't reply.

My question is, how do I handle things from here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 08:53 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,017,383 times
If it is short again you will have to keep on them. You can always be paid retroactively. I'd stress that you stopped your other jobs and the money you are missing you were counting on. I'm guessing since you went through HR/payroll it'll be fixed.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:56 PM

Oh believe me I have been stressing it, and stressing. I am concerned that even calling HR may not have helped, as she told me she'd call me back and didn't.

Normally this wouldn't be that big of a deal, as my SO was working full and part time, but his part time job ended and I was taking up the financial slack. I need that money, NOW.

I am also concerned that my boss DID NOT fill out whatever form he was supposed to and is just being a butthead since I went over his head. I'm not feeling like playing "team" without the same pay that the rest of the team is getting. Which is why I wonder why I should go out of my way on thursday to help out, when no one is going out of their way for me.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:39 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,150,159 times
S-hit happens ... hopefully you'll get paid retroactively.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:05 PM

I should, but WHEN?! The way they're dragging their feet it seems it could be weeks from now. I honestly do not want to go to work again unless I know I am getting the rate I was told i would get. I am already fed up with incompetence of others while I'm expected to maintain goals and perfection.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:34 AM

Well left a message and emailed an "HR Generalist" who's voicemail I was transferred to this morning.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:37 AM

Whew, actually finally got a phone call from HR. She is expediting the pay raise to payroll in hopes it will hit for my paycheck tomorrow, if not I will get an extra payment in a day or two.

She said that my boss "certainly knows now" how to properly put in for a promotion.

He probably hates me now. Maybe it will keep him away from my store.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:41 AM

Oh look my chest pain just went away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment