Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 06:44 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times

Advertisements

Executives at large companies. Not unusual to see one making millions, then being paid even more after leaving, having run the firm into the ground.
Underpaid: cab drivers. They face danger everyday and have to know every street get paid less than bus drivers.
Just right: multilevel marketeers. They get paid about $1.50 an hour, true. But they contribute very little to society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 07:50 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Whether teachers are underpaid or overpaid is very much dependent on where they are working. In some areas (such as Long Island, New York), they are extremely overpaid. I'm not doubting that they are underpaid in some other areas. I see no reason to debate whether teachers are overpaid or underpaid on this forum, since it includes people all over the nation, who mostly only know their own local area.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:53 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Where I live engineers are definitely not underpaid, but I'm in oil country. I have friends that are engineers, they easily make over $300,000 a year here in ND. Cost of living is high, but that's still an above average wage up here. Petroleum engineers are in high demand right now, it wouldn't be difficult to find a job just out of school where the company would even pay off your student loans.
What type of "engineers" are you talking about. There is no such job as an "engineer". There are many jobs that are completely different that have "engineer" in their name, and they are not interchangeable.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:01 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
What type of "engineers" are you talking about. There is no such job as an "engineer". There are many jobs that are completely different that have "engineer" in their name, and they are not interchangeable.
Reread my last sentence, it tells you what kind of engineer I was talking about.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:25 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,703,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I'll give my reasoning later.

Underpaid
Vets
Manual Laborers
Fast Food Workers
Artists (non famous)
Engineers

Just about right
Doctors
Accountants
Teachers
Physical Therapists
College professors

Overpaid
Finance/banking
IT
Executives
engineers are just about right, but not teachers

Old 06-29-2013, 10:33 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,703,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Underpaid: Nurses

Underpaid: Doctors-not surgeons but doctors-
nurses are NOT underpaid, my friends mom made 80k last year, not buying it. They should honestly be paid salary, its part of the reason we have such high medical bills.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:22 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,486,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
You obviously have no clue what kind of education,training and certification is required to become a pharmacist. Try doing some research and learning something before just spewing such ignorant nonsense. Seriously, you're obviously just talking out of your you know what. You're way off!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
You don't seem to understand just how much knowledge is required to be a pharmacist.
I am not ignorant at all about what I stated. I know exactly what it takes to get a PharmD, as I have three generations of pharmacists in my family. I know about the difficult subjects they study; the clinical experience they must have; and the tough licensing exams they must pass.

I never said the preparation they go through was easy. So you're the one who's talking out of your azz, izannimda!!

What I said is that retail pharmacists who dispense meds in a pharmacy don't warrant the kind of salaries they get for what they do.

Those pharmacists don't do as much work as they used to. Nowadays, pharmacists seldom compound drugs anymore, since medications have been produced and standardized from drug companies for decades. Nor do they counsel patients about meds as much as they used to because medications come with prepared directions, contraindications, and warnings. Nor do they fill as vital a role as they once did in giving patients advice when doctors were few and most people had no health insurance, and therefore little access to medical care unless they had money; there are now more doctors, physician's assistants, and nurse practitioners who do this, and most people have some type of health insurance. And finally, retail pharmacists have a lot more help than they used to.

In my grandfather's day, he didn't have a team of pharmacy techs and interns helping him. He did everything himself, from compounding the drugs (including getting exposed to toxic substances as he made the medications); diagnosing sick people who couldn't afford a doctor, and giving them the right medication; instructing illiterate customers on how to take meds; and managing the entire pharmacy by himself.

I can understand high salaries for pharmacists who work in drug research & development, or are policymakers. But not the ones dispensing meds at the local chain pharmacy.

People get doctorates in difficult subjects everyday and go through arduous training. They don't get paid 150K or more just because they had a rigorous course of studies.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:29 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Sure, management has a lot of responsibility. What is sickening is when they are rewarded for poor performance, like in the case of Hostess. White collar management collected raises and bonuses while hourly employers saw their incomes drop after accepting concessions. After another couple years, management once again walked away with bonuses just before the company declared bankruptcy. Hourly workers were sent to the unemployment line.

There is very little justification for the explosion in salaries for upper level management and CEOs in many cases. They are simply walking away with the plunder after decimating the wages of their working class employees. Sure, they claim these things are necessary to keep the company afloat. Well, after making record profits, did the hourly employees see their wages improve?
All these cases you're talking about are the minority. Most management don't get the raises you speak of. Most executives don't get rewarded for poor performance. You're focusing on the 1% that makes the news. For every hostess executive type, there's 1000s of executives that are struggling.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:47 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
All these cases you're talking about are the minority. Most management don't get the raises you speak of. Most executives don't get rewarded for poor performance. You're focusing on the 1% that makes the news. For every hostess executive type, there's 1000s of executives that are struggling.
I can only go by what I have seen. In my experience, it was always management's job to bark at the grunts to work harder. Outside of that, they seemed to have plenty of time to enjoy their air conditioned work environments while chatting it up with other office folk. I swear, every time I would walk up there, they were either talking about sports, American Idol, or their weekend plans. If that crap went on elsewhere, folks would be written up like they were in elementary school. I know where the real money was made working for these companies, and it sure wasn't in the front office. None the less, they always had the nicest cars in the parking lot and apparently took the bulk of the plunder wage/salary wise.

In the past few years, I've noticed a change though. They are much nicer to general staff. So many workers have gotten fed up with the divide that they leave. The companies still don't want to pay more than a pinch of sawdust, but I guess they figure they can kill their workers with kindness instead? None the less, I do know folks who will stick around if the work environment is friendly even if the pay isn't quite right.

With regards to the Hostess types, there are countless examples of worker concessions being made in the name of sustainability. Of course, when the company makes record profits, these concessions become permanent. Except General Motors... Their union successfully bargained for an extra dollar an hour. No wonder people are dying to get in! Unions were founded primarily to combat management greed. With union representation essentially crushed, there is no bargaining power for labor anymore. Workers are back in the same position they were in nearly a century ago. Management is completely united in their effort to push wages/benefits as low as they can go. Progress!

Last edited by andywire; 06-30-2013 at 02:55 AM..

Old 06-30-2013, 06:11 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
nurses are NOT underpaid, my friends mom made 80k last year, not buying it. They should honestly be paid salary, its part of the reason we have such high medical bills.

You are kidding right? Nurses are pretty much the backbone of the medical field-so think about it the next time you are in a hospital and someone is giving you an I.V.-they have to make sure the doctor isn't going to kill you-and they have to make sure they don't kill you as well...

When it comes to my health and taking any kind of medications...please pay people well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment