Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 10:46 PM

231 posts, read 294,670 times

Advertisements

are you as depressed and miserable as I am? I feel so lonely and lost. It's pretty hard to expand your social circle when you're 23 and living with your parents. I do have a couple friends but they're busy with work & school most of the time. Most detrimental, no more serious dating.

I've been applying like crazy since April. I customize all my cover letters & resumes but I've only had 4 interviews.

I realized that I'm going to have to contact a local company and request a informational interview. I'm really starting to understand the importance of networking. I do have a Linkedin account and a couple references but that's about it. I despise asking people for help but I'm going to suck it up.

What kind of steps are you taking to cope? Part time jobs? Volunteering? hobbies? informational interviews etc...

I'm hoping that a part time job in retail will elevate my mood. I applied for volunteer work but I never got a response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 08:11 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
If you have no job experience, finding a job for the first time is more difficult especially the older you get unless your degree is in a specific field.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:39 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times
I have done volunteer work when I was unemployed. I also worked for the Board of Elections. You should do that in order to get some experience.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:14 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
I am in the same boat. Graduated at 24 with a bachelors in business management and yet to find anything. It is either I am under-qualified or companies think I will jump ship within months of hiring. The problem is we have far too many graduates than jobs (let alone the workforce in general.) We need to see jobs created or the youth in America will be eaten alive because they cannot get experience.

Also, volunteering is all well and good but only if you have a VERY low cost way to do so. Let's face it, driving to volunteer opportunities takes up money you need to stay afloat. Not saying it is a bad idea, just keep things in prospective.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:06 PM

302 posts, read 1,101,515 times
There are numerous factors that are negatively affecting graduate employment. The poor job market and economic conditions have seen real entry level jobs vanish. In spite of what some say on here about experience, graduates have never had the level needed by employers these days. Employers have practically made enty level jobs into slots for mid level workers. The usual experience I've seen asked for varies from 2 to 5 years.

We've also seen in this non recovery, that full time jobs have been replaced by part time low pay/skill jobs. It is easier for employers to hire people with no higher education than graduates. Another factor is that the market is simply saturated with degree holders. Why hire a graduate when someone with experience will work for the same pay.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:16 PM

302 posts, read 1,101,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewC7 View Post
are you as depressed and miserable as I am? I feel so lonely and lost. It's pretty hard to expand your social circle when you're 23 and living with your parents. I do have a couple friends but they're busy with work & school most of the time. Most detrimental, no more serious dating.

I've been applying like crazy since April. I customize all my cover letters & resumes but I've only had 4 interviews.

I realized that I'm going to have to contact a local company and request a informational interview. I'm really starting to understand the importance of networking. I do have a Linkedin account and a couple references but that's about it. I despise asking people for help but I'm going to suck it up.

What kind of steps are you taking to cope? Part time jobs? Volunteering? hobbies? informational interviews etc...

I'm hoping that a part time job in retail will elevate my mood. I applied for volunteer work but I never got a response.
Since I was from Ohio like yourself, I can tell you that I networked, went to job connection meetings, etc and had a heck of a time finding even menial work. Sad to say but depending on your field, you may have no real possibilities of finding work. The economic meltdown destroyed the hiring of grads in my field. I ended up joining the military since it was the only real thing out there. Maybe you will have better luck.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:53 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
I'm 3 years post the graduation unemployment blues, so I feel you. My college was on the other side of the country and despite my best efforts, multiple internships and paid office work, an excellent education, international experience, and foreign language skills, I graduated without a job offer and had to move 1000 miles away to live with my parents in the boonies (and no car!) outside of one of the country's struggling urban areas. It took 4 months of a lot of tears and even more resumes to find something, and that job required me to move another 1000 miles away to a very high cost of living city on a low salary. But! It gave me my foot in the door and I've taken every opportunity to improve my skills since starting this job.

In the unemployed time, I volunteered when I could (became difficult when I broke up with my ex who I was living with in the city, because when I moved home my parents would not drive me nor let me borrow the car), had phone informational interviews with people in my alumni network, and had a very solid application system.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:42 PM

341 posts, read 675,160 times
I'm employed and all that, I still feel depressed for my fellow young men and women who are just getting steamrolled.

The worst part is, no one even cares. No one is saying anything, everyone just figures, "oh, it'll work itself out. You guys need to experience hardship. You're entitled."

It's the one thing that get my blood hotter than the sun. I refuse to hire anyone over 28 years old. Experience the fun with us, and when it comes time to vote on social security and Medicare, I'm voting no.

Then we can say, "stop being entitled."

Old 07-25-2013, 02:47 PM

115 posts, read 158,309 times
I wouldn't consider volunteering a meaningful path to employment. I volunteered for a few months at a hospital waiting for a position to open. One opened, I was more than qualified for it, I contacted the director and filed an application, and I obtained zero interviews and a standard rejection letter a couple weeks later. Needless to say, I did not waste another shift volunteering at that place.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:13 PM

341 posts, read 675,160 times
Volunteering and internships. Such a hard thing to guage. I honestly believe 99% of those opportunities are just legalized slavery (not even indentured slavery which would a least have some sort of worth).

Best way is to ask, "how many interns do you take on at the end of completion? Are any still working here?"

There is no other way that calls a bluff as efficiently and professionally as that line.

If they are still there, it's your job to befriend them and ask them how many interns come through here? How many get jobs?

It's the only way. By gathering those answers, you'll know whether that clown hotel is the place you want to be changing sheets at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment