Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 02:11 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It is most definitely discrimination and where I live you can find many businesses where you won't see one black American or white American working --- 100% all one ethnic background certainly is discrimination. No different than if the business was 100% white and no blacks need bother applying.

It's not necessary -- they could hire a couple translators and otherwise hire English speakers. And in grocery stores, they could hire English speakers and have two or three cash registers for the immigrants, but instead they require 100% of the employees have native Spanish fluency.

Even auto mechanic shops won't hire non-Spanish speakers.

Again, they could have some Spanish speaking employees and still hire English speakers also.

In fact there are even some places that do just that. You can go to some restaurants and have a English speaking waitress but a Spanish speaking waitress can take the immigrants who don't want to learn English.

And English can be learned easily just as well --- after all, it's not about us moving en masse into their countries, it's them moving en masse to this one.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:13 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnating Ruby View Post
I find your use of the word LEECHES very offensive. Although I am totally against illegal immigration, the average Hispanic immigrant works their butt off. Whether or not they get living wages (and how many kids they have) determines whether or not they can afford to survive. I don't see these types buying fancy clothes or electronics, etc. for themselves and their children so I assume they use every penny they earn for what they need.

You know who is a "leech?" A lazy, greedy SOB American contractor who by-passes American workers in favor of illegals so he can make a larger profit!
If they come here illegally, don't speak English and take welfare they are LEECHES. How about freeloader leeches, is that better? I din't say Hispanics were leeches, I said those who don't speak our language and take welfare are leeches. A contractor who hires illegals is also a leech.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:23 PM

810 posts, read 1,808,012 times
You can resent that requirement all you want, but it's the employer's ball game. For those positions, if you want to play, you have to be fluent in Spanish.

I have seen this topic come up numerous times and whenever it does, I always see replies from commenters saying, "This is America, people should speak English!" or some other variant of it. People whine about foreign language (particularly Spanish) requirements for job listings, but that whining is not going to help anybody's chances of getting said job. If you want that job, learn Spanish.

My mother, a woman who was always wise above her years and still gives me sage advice, strongly encouraged me to learn Spanish. She is originally from South America, though she immigrated legally, learned English and became a U.S. Citizen. Even though she believes that immigrants should learn English, as she did, that I should still study Spanish because it is a very prominent language here in the States. What something should be, in your mind, doesn't necessarily translates into the needs of an employer.

To me, being bilingual for a job is no different of a requirement than knowing a programming language, or being certified in a particular piece of software, or having a security clearance. I believe that people should always obey the law, but the reason we have police forces and federal law enforcement agencies is because there are people out there who don't. My beliefs of what SHOULD be don't match the reality of what's out there, and the same can be said about Spanish requirements. You can say all you want that people who live in this country should speak English, but that's not going to change language requirements in job listings. If you want that job, learn Spanish. If you don't want to do learn it because of that belief, then don't, but don't complain about not being able to get that job.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:52 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
You can resent that requirement all you want, but it's the employer's ball game. For those positions, if you want to play, you have to be fluent in Spanish.

I have seen this topic come up numerous times and whenever it does, I always see replies from commenters saying, "This is America, people should speak English!" or some other variant of it. People whine about foreign language (particularly Spanish) requirements for job listings, but that whining is not going to help anybody's chances of getting said job. If you want that job, learn Spanish.

My mother, a woman who was always wise above her years and still gives me sage advice, strongly encouraged me to learn Spanish. She is originally from South America, though she immigrated legally, learned English and became a U.S. Citizen. Even though she believes that immigrants should learn English, as she did, that I should still study Spanish because it is a very prominent language here in the States. What something should be, in your mind, doesn't necessarily translates into the needs of an employer.

To me, being bilingual for a job is no different of a requirement than knowing a programming language, or being certified in a particular piece of software, or having a security clearance. I believe that people should always obey the law, but the reason we have police forces and federal law enforcement agencies is because there are people out there who don't. My beliefs of what SHOULD be don't match the reality of what's out there, and the same can be said about Spanish requirements. You can say all you want that people who live in this country should speak English, but that's not going to change language requirements in job listings. If you want that job, learn Spanish. If you don't want to do learn it because of that belief, then don't, but don't complain about not being able to get that job.

Yup all you can do is shake your head and move on to the next job posting

Old 08-10-2013, 03:02 PM

810 posts, read 1,808,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Lindy07 yeah you tend to get stupid advice on this board when you are unemployed and looking for work ut don't it bother you. The advice given below was on a high level of stupidity and the most idiotic advice given to a unemployed person

1. Start your own business
2. Go back to school
3. Move to another city
4. Move to another country

so I know what you mean, you fit all the qualifications for the job except that you don't speak spanish and that can be frustrating when unemployed but just keep fighting and something positive will happen
Says the guy who started a thread claiming that a job listing for a parking attendant at 9.00 an hour pay was "taking advantage of the unemployed." "Keep fighting and something positive will happen?" Like what? If you want, you can whine to Hannity or Limbaugh to your heart's content but I don't think that's going to help your employment prospects at all.

I don't get the people who think that those of us who don't consider a Spanish requirement unfair are supporters of illegal immigration. That is the biggest load of crap I have seen on this board in awhile. I am not going to mince words here: I do believe that people who move to this country have an obligation to learn English or at least make a concentrated effort to do so. HOWEVER, the needs of the job market, especially in places along the southwest, require workers who can communicate in Spanish. An employer doesn't give a damn about what you think about their Spanish requirement, and if you complain to them about it or go on an immigration tirade like some of the posters here, you'll get laughed out of the building.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:04 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion4mb View Post
I have traveled to different countries and learned enough of their language to ask questions and be able to ask simple sentences.
Yes, I'm sure all those standard phrases one learns while traveling to a new country such as, "Good Morning", "Can you please direct me to the _______", "Where is the taxi stand?" and other assorted necessaries are perfectly able to get you through a telephone conversation in a business office ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy07 View Post
If you don't know it, English is taught early on in Europe, and a few other countries, because English is known as the standard language of business and commerce. Put that in your mouth and chew on it.
And here are some facts which you may not know. Not only do most citizens of just about every country in the world learn English for the reasons you mentioned but in some cases speak it better than those for whom it's their native tongue. In most countries (bar the US) where English is the native tongue, most children learn a second language as part of the early school curriculum while third languages are optional in higher grades.

If you don't want to learn a second language then don't apply for positions in which a second language is required. That's your choice and you're not being forced into anything. Feel free to put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:22 PM

181 posts, read 449,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Yes, I'm sure all those standard phrases one learns while traveling to a new country such as, "Good Morning", "Can you please direct me to the _______", "Where is the taxi stand?" and other assorted necessaries are perfectly able to get you through a telephone conversation in a business office ...

And here are some facts which you may not know. Not only do most citizens of just about every country in the world learn English for the reasons you mentioned but in some cases speak it better than those for whom it's their native tongue. In most countries (bar the US) where English is the native tongue, most children learn a second language as part of the early school curriculum while third languages are optional in higher grades.

If you don't want to learn a second language then don't apply for positions in which a second language is required. That's your choice and you're not being forced into anything. Feel free to put that in your pipe and smoke it.
Yeah, yeah I know all this and stated it, children are taught English in other countries early in their school life. I'll put whatever I want in my pipe and smoke it. Never said I was forced into anything, I made an observation and I moved on.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:25 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,333,911 times
This thread has long since left the area of Work and Employment and has moved on to Illegal Immigration and Politics & Other Controversies. Feel free to continue the conversation in those forums, as this thread is now closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment