Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 01:18 PM

181 posts, read 449,625 times

Advertisements

Thanks Passion4mb and Reincarnating Ruby
Found an older thread regarding this topic that's more 'balanced' and unbiased English/Spanish Bilingual PREFERRED

If I was a young person today I'd be learning Mandarin. I saw the great need for Mandarin 13 years ago when I worked in a school district. They even had Chinese people come here and teach it and teachers who knew Mandarin were fast tracked to be hired.

My original post was about catering to a certain group of people as far as language in this country. This has never been done before in the history of our country. If you're all so gun ho for the country to become a Spanish speaking country, good luck. I honestly don't need to worry about, so have at it. If you don't know it, English is taught early on in Europe, and a few other countries, because English is known as the standard language of business and commerce. Put that in your mouth and chew on it.

Adios amigos!

Old 08-10-2013, 01:19 PM

445 posts, read 865,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's becoming a very common form of discrimination and it's because the Spanish speaking pouring over the border refuse to ever learn English and demand all services be provided to them in English. It's being allowed, there was a time when immigrants were even expected to make some effort to learn English but the reality today is that there is no expectation of them but the language of this country is being changed over to Spanish. It's already like that where I live. Spanish speakers are given preference over English speakers. You will very commonly see businesses with 100% of their employees from one ethnic/cultural background -- blatant discrimination.
This is what blacks had to (still in a lot of respects) endure when trying to get employed in a mostly white business. Now, a lot of Hispanics are doing this to everybody; including whites. Welcome to the jungle.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
yeah, i found an amazing job at yale that i wanted to apply to, but it required that you be fluent in french, because you had to proofread transcriptions of french letters. i was disappointed because i just have half-remembered high school french but oh well, sometimes you're not qualified for a job.

i don't see how this is any different than having to speak spanish because you will be interacting with spanish-speaking people.

calling it discrimination is silly because anyone can learn spanish. you don't have to be any particular ethnicity to do that.
It is most definitely discrimination and where I live you can find many businesses where you won't see one black American or white American working --- 100% all one ethnic background certainly is discrimination. No different than if the business was 100% white and no blacks need bother applying.

It's not necessary -- they could hire a couple translators and otherwise hire English speakers. And in grocery stores, they could hire English speakers and have two or three cash registers for the immigrants, but instead they require 100% of the employees have native Spanish fluency.

Even auto mechanic shops won't hire non-Spanish speakers.

Again, they could have some Spanish speaking employees and still hire English speakers also.

In fact there are even some places that do just that. You can go to some restaurants and have a English speaking waitress but a Spanish speaking waitress can take the immigrants who don't want to learn English.

And English can be learned easily just as well --- after all, it's not about us moving en masse into their countries, it's them moving en masse to this one.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickytoffee View Post
This is what blacks had to (still in a lot of respects) endure when trying to get employed in a mostly white business. Now, a lot of Hispanics are doing this to everybody; including whites. Welcome to the jungle.
They're doing it more to blacks. Learning fluent Spanish won't get most blacks hired in these places. They will hire whites because hispanics view themselves as white for the most part.

Sign in front of Northeast El Paso home: "No blacks welcomed to trick-or-treat" - El Paso Times

A small sign stating "No blacks welcomed to trick-or-treat" jolted a Northeast El Paso neighborhood this Halloween.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:32 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,897,557 times
We shouldn't be catering to those who can't speak English. I see jobs like public aid and WIC requiring Spanish speaking and this offends me because not only can't these leeches speak English they want my tax dollars. Incidentally I do speak Spanish but why should I?

Old 08-10-2013, 01:37 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy07 View Post
I see many jobs, general office, clerical, etc. I'm qualified for but they list Spanish speaking preferred or required. Sorry, but I highly resent this requirement. I don't see jobs listing any other language preference except Spanish. I feel this is a form of discrimination since we're not officially a dual language country, we're not even "officially" an English speaking country. I've always been a very open minded person, but this has always been my only bone of contention. Americans should learn other languages, but they should start to be taught a language at a much earlier age in school then we do now, that's how other countries do it. European countries start teaching their students English starting in the very early grades, when our minds are more adaptable and are like sponges, and English is the #1 2nd language taught. You live here, learn English. If I go to a different country, I would learn their language and it would probably be expected.

Yeah this used to upset me too when I came a across a career advisor position and couldn't apply for the position

Old 08-10-2013, 01:46 PM

445 posts, read 865,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They're doing it more to blacks. Learning fluent Spanish won't get most blacks hired in these places. They will hire whites because hispanics view themselves as white for the most part.

Sign in front of Northeast El Paso home: "No blacks welcomed to trick-or-treat" - El Paso Times

A small sign stating "No blacks welcomed to trick-or-treat" jolted a Northeast El Paso neighborhood this Halloween.
Of course they're doing it more to blacks. No contest there between hiring a white and a black. I'm just saying it is Hispanic "white" first and then everybody else.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:54 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,126,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion4mb View Post
Lindy -- AMEN!!!!!!!

When I was job hunting I would see jobs I was qualified for and about to apply when I saw the Spanish requirement,. I have traveled to different countries and learned enough of their language to ask questions and be able to ask simple sentences.
And the Spanish speakers (Mandarin speakers, Korean speakers, Hindi speakers, French speakers, etc.) have learned enough English to ask questions and speak simple sentences.

At that level of proficiency, a person cannot understand the complexities of a business transaction. Companies can conduct their business in English only, but they have found out they earn more by conducting business with Spanish speakers.

Quote:
My original post was about catering to a certain group of people as far as language in this country. This has never been done before in the history of our country. If you're all so gun ho for the country to become a Spanish speaking country, good luck. I honestly don't need to worry about, so have at it. If you don't know it, English is taught early on in Europe, and a few other countries, because English is known as the standard language of business and commerce. Put that in your mouth and chew on it.

Adios amigos!
It appears you totally ignored my earlier post. This has been done throughout American history since its founding.

America will not become a Spanish-speaking country, though its population will become more Hispanic. They will learn English. Meanwhile, the emerging markets in Latin America will do business with whoever conducts business in their language. Whoever does that gets a foothold, and whoever gets a foothold will have the advantage.

As for English, it is true that it is the lingua franca of the world. If you are wondering, it is British English that is taught in most of those places, not American English. Remember, at one time Aramaic was the main lingua franca (it's the language Jesus spoke), but now it is a dead language.

BTW the term is "gung ho." It comes from Chinese.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:58 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
My original post was about jobs, it belongs here. One thing I've noticed about this place is the many self righteous, know-it-all, have all the answers, smart-ass posts. There are many helpful posts and suggestions, but according to many of you, the unemployed should spend the money they have to survive on going back to school and "learning a new skill, language, etc." Do you understand that when you don't have an income you cannot afford to back to school. They also are not about to take out loans to pay for school. I know people that have, and they still don't have a job, and now they're even poorer, but wow, they have a new skill set to stick on their resume. They had a darn good resume to begin with and solid work history.

Done!

Lindy07 yeah you tend to get stupid advice on this board when you are unemployed and looking for work ut don't it bother you. The advice given below was on a high level of stupidity and the most idiotic advice given to a unemployed person

1. Start your own business
2. Go back to school
3. Move to another city
4. Move to another country

so I know what you mean, you fit all the qualifications for the job except that you don't speak spanish and that can be frustrating when unemployed but just keep fighting and something positive will happen

Old 08-10-2013, 02:08 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,924,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
America will not become a Spanish-speaking country, though its population will become more Hispanic. They will learn English. Meanwhile, the emerging markets in Latin America will do business with whoever conducts business in their language. Whoever does that gets a foothold, and whoever gets a foothold will have the advantage.

As for English, it is true that it is the lingua franca of the world. If you are wondering, it is British English that is taught in most of those places, not American English. Remember, at one time Aramaic was the main lingua franca (it's the language Jesus spoke), but now it is a dead language.

BTW the term is "gung ho." It comes from Chinese.
Now you're just bringing facts and reason into it. Stop that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment