Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 01:07 PM

181 posts, read 449,159 times

Advertisements

I see many jobs, general office, clerical, etc. I'm qualified for but they list Spanish speaking preferred or required. Sorry, but I highly resent this requirement. I don't see jobs listing any other language preference except Spanish. I feel this is a form of discrimination since we're not officially a dual language country, we're not even "officially" an English speaking country. I've always been a very open minded person, but this has always been my only bone of contention. Americans should learn other languages, but they should start to be taught a language at a much earlier age in school then we do now, that's how other countries do it. European countries start teaching their students English starting in the very early grades, when our minds are more adaptable and are like sponges, and English is the #1 2nd language taught. You live here, learn English. If I go to a different country, I would learn their language and it would probably be expected.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:14 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
if speaking spanish is a useful skill for communicating with your customers, etc, it is going to be a requirement or preferred skill for the job. sorry, that's capitalism for you. the invisible hand of the market doesn't care what you think about what languages people speak (and as you pointed out, english is not our official language either), it cares about how to get money from all those spanish-speaking people.

don't like it, move to france

Old 08-09-2013, 01:28 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Yes, it is a form of discrimination but it is a legal form of discrimination. If I was marketing a product or service and I had a lot of Spanish speaking customers, I would like the person answering my phones to have some familiarity with the language.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:49 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Speaking a language is a skill -- like knowing how to use MS Word or Excel.
If you're disqualified as a candidate for not knowing how to use Excel, you can be disqualified for not knowing Spanish.
You can get Rosetta Stone at the library ... hurry!

Old 08-09-2013, 02:00 PM

yeah, if it's discrimination to disqualify people who don't know spanish, it's the same kind of discrimination as disqualifying people who don't have a degree, or x years' experience with access, or any qualification. a language is something you can learn. being monolingual is not an unchangeable part of who you are like protected classes are.

when i decided to move back to the northeast from pittsburgh and mostly apply to nonprofits, i found that many human services type nonprofits have speaking spanish as a requirement for most or all positions. so i started learning spanish. whoop de doo.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:17 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Yes, it is a form of discrimination, legal disrimination as another poster stated.

Are there abuses of it? Of course, just as there are abuses of a lot of things; look at the managers who fear anyone with an accent cannot speak English well for example. But if the employer thinks he need a certain job skill, he is allowed to seek out that job skill.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:31 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
being monolingual is not an unchangeable part of who you are like protected classes are.
There is language discrimination, usually brought up under national origin discrimination.

Religion is changeable, it is protected.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:32 PM

556 posts, read 945,975 times
If the jobs requires Spanish, and you don't speak Spanish, you aren't qualified for the job. It's no different than a job requiring math skills, typing skills, or anything other knowledge/learned skill. You can whine and complain about it while others get those jobs, or you can learn a new language (skill) and get the job yourself. Your choice. I live in a town with a considerable Spanish speaking population, and also a significant Mandarin speaking population. I completely expect businesses serving those groups would have employees who speak those languages.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
There is language discrimination, usually brought up under national origin discrimination.

Religion is changeable, it is protected.
good point about religion, but you can't change your religion for a job and still maintain your original religion. you don't lose anything by learning a new language for a job.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:50 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy07 View Post
I see many jobs, general office, clerical, etc. I'm qualified for but they list Spanish speaking preferred or required. Sorry, but I highly resent this requirement.
Then I guess you won't be working for them.

An employer has the right to determine what qualifications they want from employees. In many parts of the country, being multilingual -- especially with the ability to speak both Spanish and English -- is a huge competitive advantage for a business to have. If you can't deliver what they're looking for, then either make yourself more attractive to them by learning the language, or find somewhere else to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment