Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 07:31 PM

212 posts, read 1,003,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
Send another email or call. Actually, I would call and if you can't reach the HR person, leave a voice mail asking for a return phone call. Say you are very interested in the position, you have the experience, blah blah blah, and you need to know where they are in the decision making process.
Would it be worth telling them I have a company interested in moving forward in me, just to see if it will push them to make an offer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Most companies with their crap together interview you once or twice and make an offer within 2 weeks or less. Dysfunctional ones interview you 5 times and drag their feet so that by the time they are ready to make an offer their competitor has snapped them up and they get to start all over.
Haha! The good thing about all these interviews is that after each one I walked away thinking "I want this job!" At my current and last job I interviewed once for both and wasn't too thrilled about either offer, only accepting them to make more money. I was/am miserable at both places. If I get an offer here, I know that I will enjoy it and hopefully stay with the business for several years. In addition, maybe my patience will pay off - say if they offer the job to another candidate first, maybe that candidate will have already received an offer elsewhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
I don't know, would you call Google dysfunctional? I know quite a few people that work there and they all tell me that they had to go through multiple rounds of interviews and wait many weeks for an offer to be forthcoming.
Yes, I know someone who went through the same amount of interviews for a big-name national banker. I think they do this to keep the turnaround low and hire only the most dedicated employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 09:23 PM

103 posts, read 295,617 times
If the other company has affirmatively said that they are making you an offer, I would call the Five Times Company and say something like "as I've expressed Im very interested in a position here. I know you guys are still making a decision, but I wanted to let you know that I've interviewed with another company who has suggested an offer is forthcoming. I don't want to miss out on my dream job because of a timing issue, so to the extent you have an idea about your timeline, would you mind sharing it?"

But I wouldn't pull that card unless you're fairly certain about Company B's intention.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:49 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,708,073 times
Not saying this is the case for all companies( or even the one in question here), but 5 interviews for 'only' a supervisor level position frankly sounds like this place doesn't have their s**t together.

I mean seriously, while 5 people are assessing your every word and gesture( and crosschecking), you should be considering if all this red-tape is how they operate in general. I work in a corporate office, and many decisions go through multiple layers of middle managers, before going through senior management, and bounced around via email through various people until you forget what the issue is. The most that comes out of a typical meeting, is the decision to meet next week to discuss the same thing you were discussing at this week's meeting. It is the epitome of dysfunction.

You sound very enthused, and you say that you leave interviews wanting the job even more. Bear in mind that they are selling the organization to you, and only in certain cases does the job and company wind up as glorious as they portray themselves. Not to dampen your spirits, I wish you all the best, but just my two cents....

Old 08-22-2013, 06:42 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
Yes, I know someone who went through the same amount of interviews for a big-name national banker. I think they do this to keep the turnaround low and hire only the most dedicated employees.
That may work for companies with a cult following like Google or Facebook but the average company that jerks candidates arround this much will end up losing the most desirable talent and select for the most desperate. What currently employed person is going to take off 5 days, and what in demand professional isn't going to get fed up or be snatched up by someone else.

Also companies vastly overestimate what they can get out of an interview. You can tell if the person is competent and can behave in a professional manner. If you start tossing out the typical BS and try to psychoanalyze the candidate you end up with the best BSer because you are kidding yourself. Even the FBI's most elite profilers cannot reliably predict behavior.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:57 AM

1,131 posts, read 2,026,497 times
5 times does sound like a lot. Then again, I think it's a strong indication of their interest. Maybe they have two really good candidates and want to hire you both; the delay may be them figuring out how to make a place for both of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBound? View Post
If the other company has affirmatively said that they are making you an offer, I would call the Five Times Company and say something like "as I've expressed Im very interested in a position here. I know you guys are still making a decision, but I wanted to let you know that I've interviewed with another company who has suggested an offer is forthcoming. I don't want to miss out on my dream job because of a timing issue, so to the extent you have an idea about your timeline, would you mind sharing it?"

I agree that it's time to press the issue. I would tell Five Times, Inc, that you prefer to work for them, but wouldn't go so far as to tell them it's your "dream job." You have to walk a bit of a tight rope, showing just the right amount of interest without sounding needy while also conveying the possibility that you might accept another position without making it sound like an ultimatum.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
5 times does sound like a lot. Then again, I think it's a strong indication of their interest
It just sounds like overkill, a way to make the position seem more prestigious than it probably really is( I say this without knowing all the details, of course). And as stated above, all these 'experts' in HR attempting to analyze every aspect of the candidate to get the 'perfect' candidate. Newsflash:no-one is perfect. As I read earlier, positions like the CEO/CFO or such is the only time when 5 interviews doesn't sound unreasonable. Otherwise? Ridiculous.....IMHO of course.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
It just sounds like overkill, a way to make the position seem more prestigious than it probably really is( I say this without knowing all the details, of course). And as stated above, all these 'experts' in HR attempting to analyze every aspect of the candidate to get the 'perfect' candidate. Newsflash:no-one is perfect. As I read earlier, positions like the CEO/CFO or such is the only time when 5 interviews doesn't sound unreasonable. Otherwise? Ridiculous.....IMHO of course.
To give some context, the place I'm interviewing at is a major broadcast company. Without giving too much away, I'm just going to say that chances are you've heard of them (unless you've never watched TV in your life). I don't know if this will really change your mind or not, but I feel like they may be a little justified with a grueling interview process. Shoot, I'd rather do this than be grilled by a panel of people or take a competency test!

Old 08-22-2013, 02:33 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
I agree that it's time to press the issue. I would tell Five Times, Inc, that you prefer to work for them, but wouldn't go so far as to tell them it's your "dream job." You have to walk a bit of a tight rope, showing just the right amount of interest without sounding needy while also conveying the possibility that you might accept another position without making it sound like an ultimatum.
i agree. i also wouldn't say it's your dream job because that makes you look very naive. you can't know what's a dream job and what's not from the outside, even if it's a prestigious company you'd very much like to work for.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
To give some context, the place I'm interviewing at is a major broadcast company. Without giving too much away, I'm just going to say that chances are you've heard of them (unless you've never watched TV in your life). I don't know if this will really change your mind or not, but I feel like they may be a little justified with a grueling interview process. Shoot, I'd rather do this than be grilled by a panel of people or take a competency test!
I was making my earlier comments based on the info you provided. I hope I'm wrong, and I wish you well in getting this job and it working out for you.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I was making my earlier comments based on the info you provided. I hope I'm wrong, and I wish you well in getting this job and it working out for you.
Thanks! I totally understand your mindset though. I once bailed on a recruiter because they wanted me to come in for a third interview, but it was for a position I didn't really want. I only interviewed initially because I was so desperate to get out of my current job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search