Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 01:25 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,017,611 times

Advertisements

Meaning, does it play a part in the success of the company and it's employees or can a company become excellent without average employees?

Do you think if you had the opportunity to work with excellent managers and high achievers, it would have made for a better career path for you? Do feel feel as if you've spent a lot of time working with people that are average or below average? How has effected you? Do you feel trapped?

I read a article on MSN's website today from their archives and wanted to know how others feel as it relates to this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 01:34 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
I think it depends on what capacity the employees work in. I have worked for some very successful companies. They certainly weren't filled with 100% excellent employees. I think really they just need to have a core of employees to drive success. The rest just get the job done.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:51 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
Excellent managers make a huge difference. I have learned so much about my industry from managers with over 10 years of industry experience. They have made life easier.

I have gone job hunting, when I have been under poor managers. They can be psycho and unfair.

The #1 reason for leaving a job is the boss.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:26 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
Good managers are very important. I have worked for 4 managers over the last 2 years because of layoffs/restructuring at the orginization that I work for. I am the subject matter expert for my field in my orginization but I learned different things from each manager. They all had different styles which really opened my eyes to different ways to approach situations as the first manager I worked for for over 5 years so we were really in sync with a lot of issues.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:28 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,437,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Meaning, does it play a part in the success of the company and it's employees or can a company become excellent without average employees?

YES

Do you think if you had the opportunity to work with excellent managers and high achievers, it would have made for a better career path for you?

YES

Do feel feel as if you've spent a lot of time working with people that are average or below average? How has effected you? Do you feel trapped?

NO. Not much. NO.
My answers included.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:01 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,749,491 times
Every company needs a mix of high performers and average achievers, off the top of my head I did a research paper for a management class a few years ago, and found that you wanted at least half of your people to be basically average. They are more willing to do the mundane tasks, and they will often not require the wage and benefits increases that high performers will require to keep them employed. Your quality of work from your company will also not suffer if you structure the mix correctly with the high achievers being directly involved in the products.

Do you think if you had the opportunity to work with excellent managers and high achievers, it would have made for a better career path for you? Do feel feel as if you've spent a lot of time working with people that are average or below average? How has effected you? Do you feel trapped?

I have worked with every type of worker, and learned something from most of them. I have also gotten frustrated by incompetent people in my career. however as a former manager and now business owner I can see the reasoning for the company keeping certain people that would infuriate a high achiever if they had to deal with them daily.

I read a article on MSN's website today from their archives and wanted to know how others feel as it relates to this situation.

Overall I have learned to do your best to learn from the high achievers and the good managers, try to help everybody with their jobs even the ones who suck at their jobs, and try to never step on toes. In the end it will pay off dividends, especially when everybody knows that you are always willing to help. Even when companies I worked at had layoffs, I have never been let go from a job since I turned 16, I have always gotten good references, and people who I would have never expected have helped me in my career years down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment