Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 12:37 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
You ARE desperate. You just lost your job. You don't have to drool desperation or use a oparticular 'line', but it certainly is time to put aggressive plan B in motion. Ensuring that your friends, colleagues, and customers are on board is paramount. You don't have to whine or talk sour grapes, but you do have to let them know that the situation has changed. Network.

Yes, if they despised you to begin with, well, then that's another matter. But if you have strong relationships with them, then by all means, engage them completely.
This guy is retired. Isn't he?

Now I can't go back and look to make sure I'm on the right thread. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 12:38 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,768,377 times
If I were you, I would just eff it.
Why should I care? If the company does not care about you, I would not even care about anything which will affect the company.

This happens alot in big companies. I saw alot of my co workers treated the same way. I personally think that you should try to let it go. This is your retirement! Have fun! Those are in the past! Worrying about it wont change anything.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:38 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Unless we're diverging into the hypothetical, this is a situation which the OP was in a long time ago and which he's simply rehashing for some reason which rather eludes me, anyway.
Yes, okay, just making sure I haven't crossed over into the Twilight Zone. It has happened to me before. Especially on the Friday before a three-day weekend. LOL

By the way, HAPPY LABOR DAY EVERYBODY!

Old 08-30-2013, 12:44 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,780 times
Interesting replies but I suspect that most people who responded miss my point. So some clarification is in order:

1) This was not a long time ago but a few months ago

2) Being laid off or fired a few times over a 30 year career in management is not excessive

3) I was not concerned about hurting my reputation and professionalism with senior management but with people I respected and who respected me who had needed my return phone call or email reply to outstanding issues that only I had the answers to. Human Beings that had nothing to do with my termination needed my assistance to make their job easier and to finish their projects. I spent my whole career trying to be someone who acted professionally. When I was not able to follow up, many of them assumed I had dropped the ball.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:51 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
When there is a financial decision to lay off people, it has to be done immediately and quickly to avoid rumors and backstabbing among those vulnerable. After you left, someone else did the work. The graveyard is full of people who thought they were indispensable.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:13 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Interesting replies but I suspect that most people who responded miss my point. So some clarification is in order:

2) Being laid off or fired a few times over a 30 year career in management is not excessive

3) I was not concerned about hurting my reputation and professionalism with senior management but with people I respected and who respected me who had needed my return phone call or email reply to outstanding issues that only I had the answers to. Human Beings that had nothing to do with my termination needed my assistance to make their job easier and to finish their projects. I spent my whole career trying to be someone who acted professionally. When I was not able to follow up, many of them assumed I had dropped the ball.
And sooner or later, they'll figure this out when their emails to you bounce or when you are no longer in the phone directory when they call. That is, if you haven't sent them an email telling them you are no longer at the company. And if you're no longer at the company and, in fact, retired, why do you care whether the projects are finished?

Old 08-30-2013, 01:21 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
I spent my whole career trying to be someone who acted professionally. When I was not able to follow up, many of them assumed I had dropped the ball.
Well, now you're retired so can relax away from all that worry. If you ever bump into any of these people then maybe you'll have a chance to discuss the situation with them and, then again, it may not be in the least bit necessary at all and their needs may well have been taken care of satisfactorily. Losing sleep over it just isn't healthy but I'm guessing that you're just going through the transition stage from employee to retiree and with which I empathize.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:35 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
Quote:

I understand your concern IRN and it is commendable. On paper you are a quality person who cares about the greater good of the world (ie. those outstanding people and projects you were involved with). It's a little sad that so many posters can't fathom caring about anything other than their paychecks I guess. Again, I say, no wonder we have to hire so many H1B visa immigrants.

Taking a slight tangent, I've often been shocked by the lack of institutional knowledge in organizations, especially in the private sector. People leave and their accumulated work (can be all manner of valuable files and resources) is completely discarded. The companies have to go back and relearn basic things at an expense of course.

Last edited by Back to NE; 08-30-2013 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-30-2013, 05:16 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Congratulations on surviving the often meaningless rat-race / insane asylum that is corporate America! Best wishes now that you're free!

I could write a book on the madness I've seen, and I've only been in the corporate world for a bit under 15 years. Most companies are run by idiots with a handful of greedy sociopaths leading the rest around like lost ducklings. It's wonder anything gets done much of the time.

Don't worry about it - none of those places care about you, me, or even the quality of their own work or business. It's just "get it done!" to make this quarter's numbers look good.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:06 PM

217 posts, read 512,845 times
Quote:
Interesting replies but I suspect that most people who responded miss my point.

I doubt this.

So some clarification is in order:

Not really, but ok...and, the only thing that you clarified is that you have a seriously inflated opinion of your importance...one that does NOT coincide with the facts...if you were actually the only person standing between success and abject horror for a number of different clients, you would NEVER have been let go...

Unless it was today (and, really not then), you should have stopped caring by now.

No one said it was.

3) I was not concerned about hurting my reputation and professionalism with senior management but with people I respected and who respected me who had needed my return phone call or email reply to outstanding issues that only I had the answers to.

Nope. Not true. Never, in the history of ever, has there been a total of ONE person who can answer a question. I am 100% certain they survived.

Human Beings that had nothing to do with my termination needed my assistance to make their job easier and to finish their projects.

Nope. They needed an answer to their questions. As you are not the only person capable of those answers, there was no tragedy.

I spent my whole career trying to be someone who acted professionally. When I was not able to follow up, many of them assumed I had dropped the ball.

Nope. They called, told you were no longer with the company and they then asked to speak to your replacement, who gave them the answers and life went on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment