Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 06:42 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,161,581 times

Advertisements

In the hourly vs. salary discussion, what is the number of hours you would divide by to get an hourly rate you would find acceptable? I make a decent salary. I probably work about 2500 hours a year (50 hour weeks are average, sometimes they are 30 hours, many times 45, and occasionally 60-80). At the salary I make, I don't think I would want to go hourly unless the hourly wage was really high.

Besides consultants, which are generally paid bonuses based on billed hours and not necessarily paid on an actual hourly rate, what professionals are paid a very high hourly wage? Pharmacists come to mind as being hourly at $50-60 an hour. Some get paid multiples for overtime, others don't. Any other good examples?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 06:50 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,302,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom125 View Post
I was told this when starting my job. I'm a full-time, exempt employee.

I was specifically told during one of my final interviews "If we end up having to work some weekends, we will take some weekdays off to make up for it."

I've been at my job here for a little over a year now, and this quite simply does not happen.

We work normal 8-5 weekdays, sometimes more than that. Then we are expected to work most weekends as well. Sometimes 8-10 hours a day on Saturdays and/or Sundays.

I'm not afraid of hard work but don't appreciate being lied to during the interview. I'm not sure why he would say that if it just wasn't true.

Is there any way to diplomatically bring this issue up without coming across as a lazy worker?
This is why I like being in a union. This kind of "pressure" by supervisors or bosses or managers to work extra and to go back on promises made just doesn't happen to me. I don't have to fight it out or argue with these people. It is understood, these are the rules for our schedule and if I choose to work extra, y'all are going to pay me a lot of the money for the privilege.

Just bring it up, say hey this is what I was told in the interview about my work schedule and I want to follow that understanding, but understand that one of the dangers of being without a union(not promoting unions just saying) is that if your supervisor is a petty person, they can fire you or make things more difficult for you over raising legit issues. Hopefully your supervisor/boss isn't like this and would hear you out and take appropriate action.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:35 PM

283 posts, read 729,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Keep in mind that timesheet fraud is a felony. If you billed hours that you did not work to a client, you can get in very serious trouble if they want to make an example out of you. I'm not saying it's fair, just telling you the reality.
I did exactly what my boss told us to do when he promised the comp time. He said that since our timesheet system does not recognize comp days, we should just bill the time we take off to the project. I think he meant that we shouldn't bill our weekend hours, but then bill our comp time to the project, so that we really did work all the hours we billed.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:43 PM

159 posts, read 339,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcity View Post
I did exactly what my boss told us to do when he promised the comp time. He said that since our timesheet system does not recognize comp days, we should just bill the time we take off to the project. I think he meant that we shouldn't bill our weekend hours, but then bill our comp time to the project, so that we really did work all the hours we billed.
I've been told that is also fraud. I may be wrong, but ALL hours worked, when they are worked, should be accounted for. Billing hours, when you're not in fact, working, is fraud. Perhaps there is a code that allows you to do that -- not sure what instructions you were given. Hope you save your emails.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:05 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,167,132 times
Personally I think you missed the boat. The time to bring it up wouldn't have been in the beginning, not a year later.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:31 PM

13,133 posts, read 21,021,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierced View Post
If you work in a right to work state you have less rights. The employer can fire you at will and can also mandate that you work as many hours that they want.
In the future, you need to know the proper terminology so you’re not confusing those who know the proper definition which causes them to wonder what the heck you’re talking about. So, here’s the basic:

RIGHT TO WORK: A person being employed by a company which is covered by a Labor Union is not required to join that Labor Union as a condition of employment. They are still covered/protected by that union labor contract, but they are not forced to be a member. Right to work is a Labor Union issue.

AT WILL EMPLOYMENT: A person is employed at the will of their employer. Their employer can terminate the employment for any legal reason with or without explanation, with or without cause, with or without notice. AT WILL employment is a two way street. Just like the employer can terminate your employment without giving you any notice, without telling you why, and without cause, you have the same right to terminate your employment without giving them any notice, without telling them why, and for any reason you feel.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:49 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,619,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
In the future, you need to know the proper terminology so you’re not confusing those who know the proper definition which causes them to wonder what the heck you’re talking about. So, here’s the basic:

RIGHT TO WORK: A person being employed by a company which is covered by a Labor Union is not required to join that Labor Union as a condition of employment. They are still covered/protected by that union labor contract, but they are not forced to be a member. Right to work is a Labor Union issue.

AT WILL EMPLOYMENT: A person is employed at the will of their employer. Their employer can terminate the employment for any legal reason with or without explanation, with or without cause, with or without notice. AT WILL employment is a two way street. Just like the employer can terminate your employment without giving you any notice, without telling you why, and without cause, you have the same right to terminate your employment without giving them any notice, without telling them why, and for any reason you feel.
Exactly. Thanks for posting this. There definitely seemed to be some confusion about this.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:37 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,667,164 times

Office Space - Working Tomorrow - YouTube

Old 09-11-2013, 05:41 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,667,164 times
Not to quibble, but not every salaried employee, or even every salaried employee that the employer claims is exempt, is actually exempt.

You might want to look at this informational site from the Department of Labor and evaluate whether you are, in fact, exempt.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/complian..._exemption.htm

Old 09-11-2013, 06:22 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,992,766 times
Having managers who don't offer comp time for weekends or you being afraid to ask for it is simply an indicator of a company culture that doesn't value its people. I was in a career for a long time where working weekends was necessary a few times a year. I did the same thing for four different companies. Three had no issue with comp time. The fourth did. I didn't stay there long. Get out asap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment