Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 10:35 AM

361 posts, read 922,547 times

Advertisements

I think you're right. Per diem is non-taxable if it is below a certain dollar amount based on the area. If it's above a certain amount it can be taxed.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:39 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,378,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughbay View Post
I think you're right. Per diem is non-taxable if it is below a certain dollar amount based on the area. If it's above a certain amount it can be taxed.
Agreed. If it could ALL be tax free then why earn a salary? Call it all per diem.

Lots of shooting from the hip in this thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-23-2013, 11:19 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Okay I understand, my family is in landscaping and I have severe hay fever among many other allergies, it suck. I also ended up in a small town out in the middle on nowhere one drunken night, and ended up staying to help a friend of mines parents with harvest, only to have a girl blow the engine on my car, and find a girlfriend (different girl). I ended up stuck in that town after harvest and worked in a bird seed factory for minimum wage, and would have to load up on allergy medicines all day, wash my arms and face every chance I got, and still had to shower the minute I walked into the house it turned into a nightmare.

It took me 4 months to figure a way out of town so that I could go back to sales. So I do understand lack of options.

Here is what I would do, I would check with every labor company around and even farms to convince them to let me clean up something for a couple of hours a day, even if it was minimum wage. Then I would save every penny I could and buy a beater car that can get me over to the next town, and save up some money. Once I got that beater I would go get the best job I could in the next town, keeping the cleaning job for 10 hours a week, and still saving money. Then once I had a war chest of enough to keep going for a few months I would start looking for a job I really wanted, regardless of where it was at, as you are young enough to move if you get the right chance, and judging from your posts I get the feeling that unlike some on this board you really do just need a good chance.

I am not trying to diminish the boy scouts, the skills you learn you will carry through your life. I had a former business partner that was stuck in the desert for 10 days at 76 years old, he survived specifically due to skills he learned as a boy scout. The difference is that with the boy scouts those kids usually want to be there and are not as jaded, working in the real world you are dealing with people who usually do not want to be there, and some truly hate work and anybody involved in it. It is very different cultures that you will be dealing with, and if you make it into management you have to be ready to deal with the crap.

You can get experience, you are just stuck in a bad situation, I described what I would do, and no it would not be fun or easy, and you do not have to do it, but maybe you can come up with a similar plan on your own, and work your way out of the mess. You may not get a job as a banker or financial adviser, but maybe you can get a job selling insurance and move into a financial adviser from there, maybe you will have to go sale appliances or cars for a while but if you do well there you can move into any number of sales jobs. People work there way out of similar crap all the time, and in the end I think you will find it worthwhile, but you need to come up with a plan that you can work to get there.
Essentially, this is my plan. I am working at a job I don't have to pay for much gas and can walk to save up for a car and pay for my own insurance (I am 26 now so not under my parent's healthcare. And if it weren't for Obamacare I wouldn't need to right now.) So after I spend say a third of my check (something I try to do) that leaves two-thirds in my account and building up my warchest.

I am not sure if laborers would accept someone working three days in a week (I haven't asked and don't know many.) I work Thursday through Sunday in my current job so it COULD affect that (had there be other jobs available, I can imagine they could just give me the additional 15-24 hours a week depending on how long shifts are.) Farms aren't an option, the closest thing we have is some free-range cattle that are o the other side of the main cross street.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:43 AM

29,835 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughbay View Post
Per diem living stipend is taxed at a different rate than taxable income, but it is still taxed.
As is almost any form of income in this country... Including employer provided health insurance thanks to Obummer care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Also with Obama care you can now stay on your parents insurance until you are 26, even if you are married with your own children.
When I moved out, I was required to get off my parent's insurance. That was about 10 years ago. You're saying with Obummer care, you can move out, and remain on the rent's insurance? I guess it matches the dependency generation the boomers have raise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Well the amounts I have received over the last year and a half from several companies have all been tax free according to accountants.
So you're not even sure how to file your taxes. But you seem to know the tax structure so well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
If you guys care to go down this road feel free. Just dont want you to end up looking like Andywire who Jwiley pointed out that every single one of his statements he made to me was incorrect.
I know what I'm talking about, as you should obviously see by now.
Kinda like tax free income galore?

If you're going to continue to post discrepancies, people will continue to question the validity of your statements.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:24 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,378,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post

So you're not even sure how to file your taxes. But you seem to know the tax structure so well...

Kinda like tax free income galore?

If you're going to continue to post discrepancies, people will continue to question the validity of your statements.
I have yet to post a single discrepancy. Every thing you have been posted has been wrong as both the other poster and I have pointed out.

Your right. You have been questioning the validity and been wrong every single time.

Insurance... per diem... etc...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-24-2013, 08:18 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,338,401 times
This thread has run its course. Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment